BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
Incorporating starchy carbs into your free meals would be a very good idea. Since you speak about free meals only, do I understand you're a cat. 3 dieter? Or are you afraid of refeeds and prefer 2 free meals over 1rf+1fm?
Yeah, I'm a cat. 3. I will be a cat. 2 one day soon!

Quote:
From the legumes, lentils are the easiest to digest so starting with these would be easiest as these don't require much cooking time nor even soaking.
Not to mention I love 'em. I also have some ham that goes great in a lentil soup.

Quote:
Yet, taking Beano (or what I'm using : Jarro-zymes with a full spectrum digestive enzymes) would help w digestion.
I don't have too many problems with that, even eating beans/legumes. (& if the occasional fart escapes, well... the kid won't notice, he's at work tonight. )

I will, however, be doing some pretty thorough checking of my blood sugars around this free meal, & any other one that includes carbs. I had a rough time with a couple of pieces of bread a few weeks ago. At least in my terms. When I've had too big a carbload, I can feel it like a buzz in my blood, then I check my b.g. & it's at 140. Which isn't dangerously high, but it's high, & it feels like yuk.

However, I think it's important to keep the enzymes at least half-awake, so adding a few low-GI carbs to free meals & (eventually) refeeds seems like a good idea.

Thanks again BTW for the recommend on Colpo's book. I picked it up (well, no, I pulled it down), & yeah I think what he has to say about carbs around a workout (like TKD) is going to be really helpful to me. Another thoroughly researched book too.

-- Mel
Unread 06-14-2008, 05:02 AM

From the brand of blood sugar monitor I have (an Olympia Balance)
Ideally, blood sugar levels should not shoot up
higher than 160 (8,9) 1hr after a carb-rich meal and be
lower than 120 (6,7) 2 hr after that meal, but remain
higher than 70 (3,9) 2-4 hrs after that meal

Fasting levels should be in the 70-110 range (3,9-6,1),
If they are in the 110-125 range (6,1-6,9) you've got impaired carb tolerance (pre-diabetes) , above 125 they are considered as too high.

ETA To be clearer: it would be a good idea to keep measuring once in a while and esp after higher carb loads, so you know how your blood sugar is behaving. As long as it will not be below 120 at the 2hr mark, you are probably better off without a high carb intake.

I have bought several bottles of test strips since 2004 and did 3 OGTTs and every time I came back in the middle category.
Just yesterday I got a new batch of strips and was quite overjoyed to see a fasting level of 86 (below 5).

Back then I was equally active and kept carbs on the low side, but it's only been since almost a year I'm at my goal weight (BMI of 25). Apparently that's the biggest influence of them all.

Last edited by Espi : 06-14-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Unread 06-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
From the brand of blood sugar monitor I have (an Olympia Balance)
Ideally, blood sugar levels should not shoot up
higher than 160 (8,9) 1hr after a carb-rich meal and be
lower than 120 (6,7) 2 hr after that meal, but remain
higher than 70 (3,9) 2-4 hrs after that meal

Fasting levels should be in the 70-110 range (3,9-6,1),
If they are in the 110-125 range (6,1-6,9) you've got impaired carb tolerance (pre-diabetes) , above 125 they are considered as too high.
The American Diabetes Association now puts fastings at 100 & above at the prediabetic level. I'm a lot happier when mine are no higher than 90. Truly "normal" blood sugars are around 83 mg/dL, & I'm with Richard Bernstein (Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution) in thinking that diabetics/insulin resistant people can/should aim at that. Normally, postprandial b.g. even after a high-carb meal shouldn't go over 120 mg/dL. In any case, I know for myself that if I go over 140 or so, I can feel it, & it feels horrible to me -- just as bad in its way as a hypoglycemic event (below 70) (which fortunately I haven't experienced very often).

The Blood Sugar 101 website has a good resource on What is a normal blood sugar which also links through to another article describing historically how the ADA came upon its rather arbitrary cut-off points for diagnosing diabetes for reasons having more to do with insurance companies & feelings about "the stigma of diabetes" than for the realities of health. One of the things often overlooked is that its not just the high b.g. that's leads to the complications associated with diabetes; it's also the chronic high blood insulin. So the tolerance of middling high blood sugars (say 95-110 for fasting, 135 to 160 post-meal) by the ADA & medical profession, & hence by patients who follow their advice, actually leads to a lot of people running around with actual symptoms of Type 2 diabetes long before they're diagnosed, & hence most of them take no measures to help themselves. A friend of mine was having neuropathy in her legs for at least a couple of years before her doctor finally gave her the diagnosis, by which time her b.g.s were frequently (actually, probably chronically) in the 200s.

Quote:
ETA To be clearer: it would be a good idea to keep measuring once in a while and esp after higher carb loads, so you know how your blood sugar is behaving. As long as it will not be below 120 at the 2hr mark, you are probably better off without a high carb intake.
Absolutely. I doubt I will ever be able to go above 100g/day carbs in my life again. But I've been eating that way pretty consistently for the past 2-1/2 years & find it pretty easy to do, so I'm okay with that. But my bgs were still slightly high, which is part of why I'm doing very low carb (ketogenic) right now: keep my bgs in line to avoid cell damage from even middling high bg & insulin, while taking off the excess bodyfat, which should improve my insulin sensitivity over the long haul, & permit me to return to a moderate carb level but with better overall bg control. Am I making sense? It sounds very much like what you've done.

Quote:
I have bought several bottles of test strips since 2004 and did 3 OGTTs and every time I came back in the middle category. Just yesterday I got a new batch of strips and was quite overjoyed to see a fasting level of 86 (below 5).
That's fantastic -- congratulations!

Quote:
Back then I was equally active and kept carbs on the low side, but it's only been since almost a year I'm at my goal weight (BMI of 25). Apparently that's the biggest influence of them all.
Yes, getting rid of the excess bodyfat. I just recently read a book called How Fat Works by Philip A. Wood which discusses insulin resistance a lot in terms of the body's fat metabolism, maybe helping to explain why central adiposity is so strongly correlated with insulin resistance. So getting rid of the excess, & keeping it off, should really help. Looks like you've pretty well done that. It's what I'm aiming for too.

-- Mel
Unread 06-15-2008, 03:54 AM

Taking it to a PM
Unread 06-24-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicianAssistantNJ View Post
ive been trying to attain the Ketogenic Diet Book but cannot seem to find it online? Anyhow I have been eating 12 k/cals per pound of TBW (appx 2300 cal) and keeping carbs under 30g per day, adequate protein, and highhhh fat. Its been 3 weeks and I see minimal results, slightly leaner extremeties and upper back a bit. My midsection and love handles have barely changed. I understand the workouts are critical to deplete muscle glycogen and am doing them as directed on one of Lyle's newsletters (high volume, 4 seconds per rep, etc). Although not extremely accurate, by wednesday the ketostix have at least trace or small ketones and by thurs they are a solid moderate. Any suggestions? drop total cals?? I really cant keep carbs much lower than 25/30g. I have also been doing the optional cardio at least wed OR thurs, sometime both! Is my midsection that stubborn?!? Should i give it more time, is 3 weeks too short of time to see more results? ANy advice would be appreciated

Stats: ht-5'9"
wt-193lbs
age-28
BF - 19% measured thru bioelectrical impedence

whats your work out routine? if you're not lifting at a pretty thorough and frequent clip, and only doing cardio 1-2 X a week, I'd say you're caloric intake is probably barely below maintenance.

Barring hormonal issues, I'd say something is wrong with your calories...calculations of what you're eating or what your actual maintenance level is.
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Make Sure You Are Not Taking In Sugar Alcohols...MY KETOSIS WAS SMALL TRACE.. ONCE I STOPPED THIS IT SKY ROCKETED. This Is What I Did For 2.5 Weeks Before I Had Posession Of The Books.
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:25 AM

sorry if this is obnoxious but, what the hell is the point of being in ketosis anyway? like, who cares?
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

I certainly don't. ketosis is, at most, a side-effect of other stuff going on

you can lose fat without being in ketosis and be in ketosis without lsoing fat. it's fairly meaningless unless you're an epileptic child
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeyZS View Post
sorry if this is obnoxious but, what the hell is the point of being in ketosis anyway? like, who cares?
The main importance for me about whether or not I was in ketosis was that there was so much bunkum out in public discourse about how ketosis would fry your kidneys, destroy your brain, blah blah. That's how I came here, by way of wanting to learn the actual truth about ketosis (via Lyle's ketobook). Main benefit of having read the book: I understand ketosis (or, at least, better than I used to), so I'm not scared of it. And hence I can take advantage of other aspects of very-low-carb diets that ketosis comes packaged with -- such as safe, rapid fat loss (i.e., PSMF), & blood glucose control. And I can educate other people who have been swayed by the bunkum so they're not scared of ketosis too, & can also take advantage of things like PSMF if they've a mind to.

But ketosis itself... nah, I don't see it in & of itself as a benefit. (Nor, any longer, a danger.) I've never bothered with ketostix b/c ketosis is not the point. But it's very good to understand how it works.

-- Mel