BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Solution to regulating hormones on long term keto?

Ran multiple variations of ketogenic diets over the last 7 years (CKD/TKD/SKD) with phenomenal results and I have always noticed a decrease in both testosterone and libido. I'm aware libido is not necessarily directly related to testosterone.

LCHF diets have shown to increase SHBG while lowering testosterone over the long run.

My personal experience with CKD, 1-3 days of high carb refers do not seem to resolve the issue.

Additionally, I'm also extremely concerned with damaging thyroid glad on long term keto... Maybe I am coming to the sad conclusion that ketogenic diets are just not sustainable year round....
Unread 09-18-2017, 04:07 AM

So you got blood tests before and during to confirm that testosterone dropped? Or is there some reason aside from libido that you believe testosterone went down?

Is there a valid reason you think a ketogenic diet is going to destroy your thyroid?
Unread 09-18-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
So you got blood tests before and during to confirm that testosterone dropped? Or is there some reason aside from libido that you believe testosterone went down?
No blood tests; although, I feel all of the symptoms of low T and long term studies I've seen on LCHF diets have lowered T levels. I understand libido and T aren't necessarily correlated, but libido also tanks while I'm in Ketosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
Is there a valid reason you think a ketogenic diet is going to destroy your thyroid?
It's confirmed T3 drops in ketogenic / low carb dieting (I know these studies are all done at a caloric deficit -- would be neat to see them done at maintenance calorie level). I assume this lowering of T3 is normal and, maybe, this is "OK" due to the muscle sparing affect of low T3?

However, me being overcautious, I'm concerned with any long term altering of my thyroid (lowering T3), regardless of if it's considered "protective" or not.

--
I've also read that lower T3 is actually linked to longevity... Maybe I am sticking my head in too many "mainstream" articles on the Low T and Thyroid issue and have answered my own questions
Unread 09-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Don't do a ketogenic diet forever?
Unread 09-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Don't do a ketogenic diet forever?
Thanks for the reply. Coming to the sad conclusion it's just not sustainable long term.