BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Default Have less carbs or less fat on days you consume alcohol?

When drinking alcohol do you have less fat or less carbs on these days to compensate? Even a few drinks (say 3 - 4 beers) can amount to a fair amount of calories (400 - 500). I've always kept fat lower (around 50 - 60 grams) but find I have low energy and I'm quite hungry all day lately.

This is assuming the person isn't dieting, and is trying to eat at maintenance the day they're consuming alcohol.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 10-07-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Unread 10-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
When drinking alcohol do you have less fat or less carbs on these days to compensate? Even a few drinks (say 3 - 4 beers) can amount to a fair amount of calories (400 - 500). I've always kept fat lower (around 50 - 60 grams) but find I have low energy and I'm quite hungry all day lately.
What are you talking about? Maintenance, bulking, what. If it's maintenance, then who cares. Whatever you feel better with.
Unread 10-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
What are you talking about? Maintenance, bulking, what. If it's maintenance, then who cares. Whatever you feel better with.
Maintenance.

Just curious what others' experiences were. What I put in the OP had worked previously (keeping fat lower), but I notice if I have a couple beers a few days in a row I'm feeling drained lately. And this is moderate drinking, just a couple drinks, not 8.
Unread 10-07-2014, 02:57 PM

I can only advise that you're not drinking nearly enough
Unread 10-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Maintenance.

Just curious what others' experiences were. What I put in the OP had worked previously (keeping fat lower), but I notice if I have a couple beers a few days in a row I'm feeling drained lately. And this is moderate drinking, just a couple drinks, not 8.
Less calories to compensate for extra (not already included in maint calories)calories and don't focus a particular macro. I assure you your fat intake is not the culprit for same day lack of energy.

Contrary to bigpecs joke, haha....I notice a lack of energy/ambition the day after consume 78 beers, but not in your case of drinking 2-3 or 3-4.
Unread 10-07-2014, 04:34 PM

I always use beer as a pre work-out. Especially needed for the technical demanding lifts.
Unread 10-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taste Of Fire View Post
I always use beer as a pre work-out. Especially needed for the technical demanding lifts.
Also confidence for heavy squats.

OP if you're drinking 500 calories a few days in a row then you're hungry because you're eating less in general, not specific to fat/carb intake.

Maybe drink less or drink on non-consecutive days.
Unread 10-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Definitely preferably lowering fat. I actually lower carbs really low too if I go out drinking unlimited amounts. For a few beers I tend not to adjust anything.

If you stay below maintenance or at maintenance it shouldn't really matter, but I believe that going for a surplus with moderate-high fat diet + alcohol is a certain way to accumulate fat. This is just my own experience. Even a candy binge with some shots and beer doesn't seem to do as much harm as salmon + wine for example. I think Berkhans guide to binge drinking is a good starting point for guidelines.

Staying at maintenance is immensely hard for me even with just a few drinks so I always limit my fat intake.

My dear diary log, Starting November 2015
UD2 log January-March 2014 ; Random updates