BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-31-2018, 08:14 PM

Default Health effects of vomiting after a binge

I had a binge on new year's eve and decided to vomit exceedings food, to avoid heavy feeling and possible stomachaches (which I suffered on Christmas Eve), and to cut down inbound calories.

I enjoyed the food and suffered the vomiting period (lasting and disgusting).

I know vomiting has negative health consequences. I tried to get rid of them so it wasn't detrimental, I don't know if I did. For the teeth related negative consequences I brushed my teeth. For the impairment in electrolyte balance, I took magnesium+calcium+potassium supplement.

Are there more negative consequences, or aren't my "fixes" enough?

I know vomiting probably is negative on a regular basis, but I want to know if one vomiting from time to time is acceptable.

Regards

Last edited by Tormenty : 12-31-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Unread 01-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Weren’t you ever a kid with a stomach bug and vomited several times a day? You’re still alive after that so don’t overthink this. I would be far more worried about having a binge you felt the need to vomit from.
Unread 01-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Do you want us to support your eating disorder? You should post this question on an eating disorder forum or subreddit and see what answers they give you. I will give you a hint, this is absolutely not ok and you should stop it before it gets out of hand. Never do that again. Seriously, bulimia is horrible.
Unread 01-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenty View Post

I know vomiting probably is negative on a regular basis, but I want to know if one vomiting from time to time is acceptable.

Regards
I'm gonna go with no on this one
Unread 01-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
Do you want us to support your eating disorder? You should post this question on an eating disorder forum or subreddit and see what answers they give you. I will give you a hint, this is absolutely not ok and you should stop it before it gets out of hand. Never do that again. Seriously, bulimia is horrible.
Really? Do you consider vomiting one time in my life an eating disorder? I see comments that consider it a bad idea but I just wanted to know why (backed on scientifically research preferably).
Unread 01-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Really? Do you consider vomiting one time in my life an eating disorder? I see comments that consider it a bad idea but I just wanted to know why (backed on scientifically research preferably).
Vomiting one time? No. But you made it seem like you were going to consider it an option going forward. Here are some reasons regularly vomiting after binging is a bad idea.

●Parotid and submandibular (salivary) gland hypertrophy, with puffy or swollen cheeks
●Laryngopharyngeal reflux
●Loss of gag reflex
●Esophageal dysmotility
●Abdominal pain and bloating
●Heme-stained emesis
●Mallory-Weiss syndrome (esophageal tears)
●Esophageal rupture (Boerhaaves’ syndrome)
●Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
●Barrett’s esophagus
●Gastric dilation
●Diarrhea and malabsorption
●Steatorrhea
●Protein-losing gastroenteropathy
●Hypokalemic ileus
●Colonic dysmotility
●Constipation
●Irritable bowel syndrome
●Melanosis coli
●Cathartic colon
●Rectal prolapse
●Pancreatitis

A couple sources:
Mehler PS, Birmingham LC, Crow SJ, Jahraus JP. Medical complications of eating disorders. In: The Treatment of Eating Disorders: A Clinical Handbook, Grilo CM, Mitchell JE (Eds), The Guilford Press, New York 2010. p.66.

Brown CA, Mehler PS. Medical complications of self-induced vomiting. Eat Disord 2013; 21:287.
Unread 01-02-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
It is bad because it makes it more likely in the future. Probably every single case of bulimia starts with this type of thinking.
Unread 01-03-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
...decided to vomit exceedings food, to avoid heavy feeling and possible stomachaches (which I suffered on Christmas Eve), and to cut down inbound calories.
What...the...I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post..

If you want to avoid that simply don't eat absurd amounts of food or take a supplement that improves digestion.
Unread 01-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
Vomiting one time? No. But you made it seem like you were going to consider it an option going forward. Here are some reasons regularly vomiting after binging is a bad idea.

●Parotid and submandibular (salivary) gland hypertrophy, with puffy or swollen cheeks
●Laryngopharyngeal reflux
●Loss of gag reflex
●Esophageal dysmotility
●Abdominal pain and bloating
●Heme-stained emesis
●Mallory-Weiss syndrome (esophageal tears)
●Esophageal rupture (Boerhaaves’ syndrome)
●Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
●Barrett’s esophagus
●Gastric dilation
●Diarrhea and malabsorption
●Steatorrhea
●Protein-losing gastroenteropathy
●Hypokalemic ileus
●Colonic dysmotility
●Constipation
●Irritable bowel syndrome
●Melanosis coli
●Cathartic colon
●Rectal prolapse
●Pancreatitis

A couple sources:
Mehler PS, Birmingham LC, Crow SJ, Jahraus JP. Medical complications of eating disorders. In: The Treatment of Eating Disorders: A Clinical Handbook, Grilo CM, Mitchell JE (Eds), The Guilford Press, New York 2010. p.66.

Brown CA, Mehler PS. Medical complications of self-induced vomiting. Eat Disord 2013; 21:287.
These are risks associated with regular vomiting.

My idea is vomiting with very low frequency. While I consider once a week safe, I won't exceed one time a month for safety. If you want to call me bulimic for vomiting once a month you can do.

Specially, in celebrations when there are a lots of highly tasty food available, I like to enjoy the food and don't care about the calories. If I eat to the point of feeling sick, then vomiting is useful.
Unread 01-04-2019, 07:20 PM

It really reads as though you're trying to give yourself permission to develop an eating disorder.

Instead of worrying about the health effects of vomiting, maybe it would be better to think more about why you feel the need to eat so much that you make yourself sick. It would be better to discuss these things with a mental health professional rather than a bunch of strangers on the internet.