BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-07-2019, 06:06 AM

Default Should you take Anti-Inflammatories Post Workout?

Hey i read something recently that suggested not taking anti-inflammatories post-workout.

Basically it said the inflammation post workout is aiding in recovery and is by design.

This made some level of sense to me but I've really never thought about it or seen it written about/discussed.

Curious because I usually do all my supplementation post workout with my protein shake... which generally includes 400mg ibuprofen and 6-10 mg of fish oil...

That's a heck of a lot of anti-inflammatories right after the workout if that is, in fact, sub-optimal timing to take them...

Just wondering if anyone has any non-bro science takes on this.

A quick google search turns up this:
Another study confirmed in the laboratory that the use of NSAIDs after exercise slowed the healing of muscles, tissues, ligaments and bones. The research is clear. Taking anti-inflammatory drugs such as Advil and ibuprofen after a workout will result in slower recovery times.

But from Lyle's lips to God's Ears I don't just blindly believe in "studies" because Ive seen him debunk so many lol...

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 01-07-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Unread 01-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Administrator

This is a 10 year old thing. You need some inflammation post-workout for optimal results.

taking the drugs beforehand would be an issue. They don't instantaneously work so taking aftter should not be an issue

Though I'd ask WHY you;'re taking them in general.
Unread 01-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
This is a 10 year old thing. You need some inflammation post-workout for optimal results.

taking the drugs beforehand would be an issue. They don't instantaneously work so taking aftter should not be an issue

Though it's silly IMO, I know a few people who say they take them beforehand to minimize DOMS.
Unread 01-08-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post

Okay thanks. I have a pretty extensive injury history and honestly i thought fighting inflammation was a good thing?

Im guessing you are saying it's not worth the downsides (stomach lining, etc)

Perhaps I'll drop them from my daily consumption and just stick with the fish oil/glucosamine.

I find that when I'm eating healthy and not drinking the inflammation isn't as big of a deal anyway.

Which brings me to my next question. What's a good amount of fish oil to consume at the beginning of a routine while just looking to drop the first ten pounds on a moderate deficit?

I understand the correct intake on RFL but this time around I'm not looking to start anything extreme. I was thinking 4-6 daily would be sufficient if my overall fat intake is fairly low each day.

I think I remmeber you stating a 1:1 Omega 3: Omega 6 ratio is optimal so I like to get some in just to offset the handful of bad fat i consume on a daily basis.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 01-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Joe77 View Post
Though it's silly IMO, I know a few people who say they take them beforehand to minimize DOMS.
I know a lot of people who are dumb as a box of hammers. And the above is stupid.
Unread 01-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Okay thanks. I have a pretty extensive injury history and honestly i thought fighting inflammation was a good thing?

Im guessing you are saying it's not worth the downsides (stomach lining, etc)

Perhaps I'll drop them from my daily consumption and just stick with the fish oil/glucosamine.

I find that when I'm eating healthy and not drinking the inflammation isn't as big of a deal anyway.

Which brings me to my next question. What's a good amount of fish oil to consume at the beginning of a routine while just looking to drop the first ten pounds on a moderate deficit?

I understand the correct intake on RFL but this time around I'm not looking to start anything extreme. I was thinking 4-6 daily would be sufficient if my overall fat intake is fairly low each day.

I think I remmeber you stating a 1:1 Omega 3: Omega 6 ratio is optimal so I like to get some in just to offset the handful of bad fat i consume on a daily basis.
Get the inflammatory MODULATORS< not stoppers

Turmeric/cucurmin, etc. They work better and don't shut down all inflammation, they just modulate it.

All in my little injury booklet