BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-29-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Oh this again

Strength and size are correlated
Strength per se predicts NOTHINZG

Strength gains IN A MODERATE REPETITION ragne (as per Dante) plus propper nutrition = growth

A guy using technique and neural changes to boost his 1RM isn't stimulating growth

A guy going from 100X8 to 200X8 is
That's what I needed to hear :-)
And as your specialization routines are 5x5 I understand that moderate is something from 5 to 12.
I will try specialization routine next time, I m not ready for the brad workout with 2343245 sets permuscle group

I just don't know what is better for the 5x5 progression, only add weight when there is reps remaining on the last set ? or pyramiding down between sets ? (I know it must have been asked a lot of time and it should probably be on the specialization topic, but I cannot get a strict answer :/)
Unread 09-29-2018, 04:31 PM

part 2 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oyikCv0L4Q&t=1896s

should be helpful for people doing gbr or spec
Unread 09-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
I will be doing a detailed analysis of the 7 extant studies on the topic. There is LIMITED evidence that legs need a little more volume. Upper body invariably falls right in the 10-15 set/week range. Justl ike Wernbom said a decade ago.
Very much looking forward to this analysis, Lyle. Maybe Lucas will contribute as well.

Again, to me, if my 12-15 weekly sets for back equates to just as many bicep sets, or my 15 sets of compound pressing is 15 tricep sets, then programming just got weird and cumbersome. Im just not buying it, and I've trained for YEARS

Just thinking about 30-45 sets of sufficient effort makes me sore...

Last edited by AlphaOmega : 09-30-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Unread 09-30-2018, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
Very much looking forward to this analysis, Lyle. Maybe Lucas will contribute as well.

Again, to me, if my 12-15 weekly sets for back equates to just as many bicep sets, or my 15 sets of compound pressing is 15 tricep sets, then programming just got weird and cumbersome. Im just not buying it, and I've trained for YEARS
Exactly. the logic fails on every level and Brad didn't evcen pretend to acknowledge it publicly until he was trying to dismiss a contrary study.

Oh, NOW isolation should be counted differently. K
Unread 09-30-2018, 01:00 PM

"According to Google Scholar, Brad has published about forty seven papers already this year. Thatís 5 per month since itís only September, most researchers do maybe 1 a year because that is how long data gathering and analysis usually takes."

I don't know what's more absurd. The amount of volume in the workouts, or the number of papers he's published.

I work in Biopharma, I don't think anyone publishes papers that frequently. Between research, study design, feasibility studies, protocol review/approval, having our in-house statistician perform data analysis, writing the report/paper itself, and then review/approval of that...there's just no way.

And I'm testing products and equipment, not people. Gathering the proper group takes time as well.

We're also a large company with a team behind us, and access to numerous resources. It sounds like he probably has a much smaller team and less resources.

I also laughed at one of the typos that said 55 sets for face pulls...I laughed because it might be possible it wasn't a typo based on his suggested volume...
Unread 09-30-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
"According to Google Scholar, Brad has published about forty seven papers already this year. Thatís 5 per month since itís only September, most researchers do maybe 1 a year because that is how long data gathering and analysis usually takes."

I don't know what's more absurd. The amount of volume in the workouts, or the number of papers he's published.

I work in Biopharma, I don't think anyone publishes papers that frequently. Between research, study design, feasibility studies, protocol review/approval, having our in-house statistician perform data analysis, writing the report/paper itself, and then review/approval of that...there's just no way.

And I'm testing products and equipment, not people. Gathering the proper group takes time as well.

We're also a large company with a team behind us, and access to numerous resources. It sounds like he probably has a much smaller team and less resources.

I also laughed at one of the typos that said 55 sets for face pulls...I laughed because it might be possible it wasn't a typo based on his suggested volume...
You need to be at MRV for publishing papers or you won't make progress mesocycle to mesocycle while you mini cut and resensitize
Unread 09-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post

Typing quickly, I'm sure Brad and eric and james said "see, lyle thinks it's 55 sets" to dismiss it

The general concensus, and apparently this is a real issue, is of researchers getting their names on papers they have nothing to do with. Call up lab buddies across teh world, give them your opinion on a paper, get name on paper.

I mean, what did Bret do on this paper, is he even in teh same state or country as Brad? I doubt it. HE just got his name thrown on the paper.

Do think Menno contributes anything meaningful to teh reviews hes' on?

Me neither. Maybe a semicolon.
Unread 10-01-2018, 11:10 AM

Just read your recent post, Lyle. You summed it up perfectly, because after all the lab-coating is done.."DO THE F**KING WORKOUT" is exactly where this proves itself absurd.

The reality test sinks the whole thing. I've tried some high volume before. Never went above 20 / muscle / week. That is hard enough as it is.
Unread 10-01-2018, 09:37 PM

Saw this was reviewed by Helms in the latest issue of MASS. He doesn't tear the study apart, but does state in the end that "My anecdotal experience as a coach and the majority of research would suggest that ~10-20 sets per muscle group/movement is a much more appropriate beginning range to program for hypertrophy and strength." He also suggests specializing one muscle and increasing volume for that muscle group once you've really hit a plateau. So in the end, still in line with Lyle's recs...
Unread 10-02-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
So in the end, still in line with Lyle's recs...
I haven't added it up, but I currently run a modified version of his novice routine from his book. So it's likely in line with what he recommends as well.

Unless he plans on updating his book after Brad's studies...