BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-20-2018, 04:12 PM

Default recomp or cut skinny fat beginner

Hello,

I'm a beginner who is skinny fat, weighing 77kg, 181 cm (6 foot 170 pounds) with a bodyfat of around 20-23%
I have little muscle and am weak (135 bench, 170 squat, 225 DL) but i don't want to go on a bulk since i look like a fat blob already. The question I am battling right now is if i should do a cut or a recomp. My maintenance is at 2500 so cutting would mean eating 2000 calories and recomp im thinking 2300. My rationale is since i would need 2800 for a bulk, im doing -500 calories that, hopefully making up for that with calories from fat. What is the most optimal thing to do for me right now?

thanks in advance
Unread 07-20-2018, 07:23 PM

I would say to just focus on lifting and eating protein and then the "recomp" will take care of itself. Lyle has said that beginners are one of the few groups who can build muscle and lose fat at the same time, so take advantage of that. Everything works for beginners. If you're young, then I'd say that statement applies even more.

I think people get way too caught up in trying to optimize everything and track every single macro. Better to just weigh yourself, take some measurements, and maybe take a progress pic each month. I don't see why that approach wouldn't work for the first year or so.
Unread 07-21-2018, 02:45 AM

What are your goals, how old are you, and what's been your normal activity level?

I have skinny-fat non-lifting friends who are trying to lose weight; personally, I can't relate to the "as long as I have abs" mentality, at all. In your shoes, I think I'd probably make sure my protein intake was adequate, eat normally otherwise, and let the increased energy expenditure from new exercise take care of everything else. I definitely wouldn't cut, if only because feeling like crap all the time is counter-productive when you're trying to start a new habit.

Maybe pick up Lyle's Flexible Dieting book. It goes over how to set up and maintain a sensible lifestyle diet. Ease yourself into it, refine as you go on. You can't optimize what isn't there, yet.
Unread 07-21-2018, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I've tried the intuitive eating thing but I always overeat thinking i'm leaving gains on the table if I don't enough so its a psychological thing, that is how i got skinny fat in the first place. Becides that i'm very ocd and systematic when it comes to these things, i find no discomfort in tracking every gram of food i eat. I'm 21 years old and my main goal is to add as much muscle to my frame as possible. I don't care about strength since it will come in some form with getting bigger anyway. For now i'm eating 2300 calories, macros 316c 144p 51f

So in the end it comes down to the question again of should I do a full blown cut at 2000 calories with cardio and then go on a clean bulk or try the recomp with 2300 calories and no cardio. oh and i'll probably get crap for this but im running push pull legs off, as I said hypertrophy is my main goal.
Unread 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM

I guess a moderate cut would be the lesser evil? Do whatever you feel you'd stick to. In the end adherence is the most important thing.
Unread 07-26-2018, 08:06 AM

Cut so once you start lifting you can actually see progress.
Unread 07-26-2018, 06:28 PM

At 6 foot 170 pounds and over 20% bodyfat, you should cut first. Eat at a deficit with adequate protein, do some sensible weight training program and as a beginner, your body comp should change pretty rapidly.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 07-26-2018 at 06:50 PM.