BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-26-2017, 04:58 PM

Forgot to log my last workout Wed before thanksgiving.

I did 155x4x4x4 squat, 115x5x5x5 overhead press... skipped deadlift... forget what i did for accessories...

Today

Weight: 167 (weird, went down)

155x5x5x5 squat
150x5x5x5 bench
275x3 deadlift (failed miserably on rep #4)
90x6x6x6 bicep curl

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 11-30-2017, 10:48 PM

11/28

Squat: 155x5x5x5
Press: 115x5x5x4
Bicep: 100x3x3x3

11/30

Dead: 245x8
Bench: 145x5x5x8
Bicep: 80x10x10

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 12-01-2017, 01:43 AM

Is there a specific reason you focus that much on biceps compared to other muscle groups?
Unread 05-29-2018, 04:32 PM

Default Aaaaaaaand It's Gone

So I picked up some seasonal work thru the first few months of the year and worked a consistent 70+ hours a week for several consecutive months. I didn't work out, I didn't eat well, and I drank like a fish.

Now all my hard earned gains...gone! LOL

Well May 1st I started my annual summer cut. I spent a month not drinking, eating significantly better (lower carbs and fats, not perfectly clean, but always eating at home instead of out and mostly preparing my own meals), and lifting.

I spent the first month at Planet Fatness because I knew I was going to do like 15-20 hours of cardio a week (because i have a big exam i have to study for as well so i do it on the recumbent bike). This severely limited my strength gains as they only have baby weights. But it did allow me to reach "excellent" on the VO2 reader on the stairmaster and eliminate a bunch of the muscle soreness and all that crap.

Today I joined Gold's Gym and did my first Starting Strength workout.

I was pretty surprised at how weak I was, but I didn't really test my power as the most important part of beginning a routine is that when the bar loses speed you stop increasing the weight. This allows you to give ample workouts using actual strength instead of compensatory strength. It's important for muscle memory, closing power leaks, not getting injured, and training explosively for fast twitch muscle fibers.

Anyway I did

Squat: 3x5, 85 lbs. I was pretty shocked because I have been squatting with a dumb bell so I figured I'd do better here. Anyway, I know from experience this will shoot up quickly. I think the 2-3 hours a day on the bike means my legs might be a little overtrained. Also the dumb bell squat is a different movement pattern so I'm sure I had some major leaks I'll look to correct next session.

Bench: 2x5,95 lbs & 1x10 95 lbs... okay this one the first set I was feeling a nice little impingement so I quit after 5 reps. I prepped myself better for the next two sets and was able to easily eclipse 5 reps on the final set. I tore my pec a few years ago so I don't mind starting low and working this one up 10 lbs each workout(instead of 5) for the first few sessions. I've done some prehab on my rotator cuffs that I think will help.

Deadlift 1x5, 185 lbs

Chinups. 3x3. Surprised because I literally did 5x5 pullups two days ago. Not sure if I hadn't quite recovered from that volume or if it's just because I haven't been training chinups so far (only pullups). Also the bar was quite a bit thicker than the one at PF so that might have something to do with it? Anyway, Chinups and pullups are going to be an integral part of my strength training but this time REALLY focusing on going down slowly.

Tomorrow I go in for a measurement evaluation and body scan and then I get another one after 30 days to measure progress. I like that I'm really getting a bit more of a Day 31 to Day 60 progress instead of Day 1 to 30 as really anything will work the first 30 days so it's not that helpful of feedback.

Unread 05-29-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
OK so I'm finally doing starting Strength. My goal is not to miss a single workout in the first 90 days. I'm really going to focus on making massive strength increases. I did all four of the main exercises today just to get a starting point logged for every thing. The book says stop increasing the weight on Day 1 once the bar demonstrates any slowing down of movement, so these weights are not true 5 rep maxes. They program is designed to ease into it whIle you build muscle memory with good technique.

I have a history of knee, hamstring, shoulder, and chest issues so I'm really going to concentrate on technique & recovery.

I'm not doing the 1,000-2,000 calories per day over maintenance as I have promised myself after that last massive and lengthy diet to not let myself get fat again. I'm going to pig out buffet style on most workout days and eat near maintenance on non-workout days.

I'm not sure exactly how long I will run this initial gaining phase but probably until when the gains stall out. I WILL BE 10% bodyfat on Memorial day 5/28/18. And I will have significantly more LBM than I did this year. Period.

Date: 8/30/17
Weight: 150

Squat: 85x5x5x5

Bench: 85x5x5x5

Deadlifit:135x5

Press: 85x5x5x5

Pullups: 5x5x5 (15)

Squat is slightly below parallel.
Bench is wide grip.to protect my shoulders.
Deadlifit is normal
Press is normal
Pullups are deadhang. I will be alternating with chinups.

Man.. i just read through my thread for some inspiration on how far I've come over the last two years with my recovery. I can just tell from the things I type to the way I think and view the world how much I've matured and progressed.

This post right here is somewhat depressing and it's evidence that I once again let drinking throw me off track for several months. But I also pull some strength from it.

Here we go again... should be easier to build this muscle the 2nd time though, right?

Unread 05-29-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Is there a specific reason you focus that much on biceps compared to other muscle groups?

The training program I'm on includes power cleans but I just dont feel comfortable doing them and there isnt a ton of back exercises in my program. I do throw some row in there and deadlift is obviously a big one.

I typically alternate between pullups/chinups or bicep curls just to make sure the biceps are getting hit.

Triceps should be fine between the bench/overhead press.

I want to get big biceps. That's a muscle that tends to stand out pretty well on me because I have good vascularity

Unread 06-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Forgot to log progess yesterday.

3x5, 95 lbs squat

3x5, 85 lbs overhead press

1x5, 205 lbs deadlift

Did curls with 75 lbs... don't recall the exact amount of reps but it was around 10 or so i just did as many as i could

Unread 06-01-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Forgot to log progess yesterday.

3x5, 95 lbs squat

3x5, 85 lbs overhead press

1x5, 205 lbs deadlift

Did curls with 75 lbs... don't recall the exact amount of reps but it was around 10 or so i just did as many as i could
I'm not surprised you have difficulty counting to around 10.
Unread 06-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Funny... I finished Top 10 in the entire state multiple years in math competitions. Consistently in the Top 20 and I'd typically be the highest scoring white kid. #2 in the State one year in the speed competition. I got a 790 on SAT math and my GMAT math scores are consistently above the 90th%. I made it through Calculus 3 without studying and I routinely finished MBA accounting/finance exams about an hour before the rest of the class because I don't waste much (if any) time consulting my calculator.

There's a lot of things I have trouble with in this world. Math isn't one of them. I would absolutely destroy you in anything related to the topic. So get the F out of my thread loser

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-02-2018 at 12:56 PM. Reason: a
Unread 06-02-2018, 03:58 PM

Anyway just keep the BS out of my thread please. If it's not encouragement, recommendations, or questions then kindly move along.

Workout #3

I started with deadlift because some idiot took up the power rack for like 45 minutes while he was doing some stupid pyramid deadlift thing with like 8 sets and 5 minutes in between sets. Not sure why you'd take the power rack for deadlift but i digress.

Worked my way up to 225 but it felt really heavy. I think a lot of this is because i watched some refresher videos for deadlift cues and i realized i was probably compromising my back too much the last few days.

Got 2 solid reps in.. Took a long breath then performed #3. Aborted the rest of the set. 3 days of deadlifting in 5 days while adding 20 lbs to the bar each day was heavy enough. I'm taking my 2 day workout break and I'll come back and try to do 225x5

Bench: Was going for 3 sets of 105x5 reps. On third set squeezed out 12 reps without much trouble. So i did a 2nd set of 12 reps on 105 and just considered them my working sets. Rotator cuff work is paying dividends i can tell an almost instaneous difference.

Squat: 3 sets, 105x5. These felt pretty good I watched some more squat videos for refresher. Concentrated on keeping my core tighter. Blasted through these pretty easily with what felt like really good form.

Was going to do pullups but got recruited to play basketball for ~40 minutes and was way too dead to do them after. Will try to stay away from the court from now on. Basketball has always been a major deterrent from strength gains because i love the sport/played in high school... i used to routinely play/shoot for 20-30 hours a week so it's just difficult to ignore.

2 days off. Going to try to monster down some food I want to make sure I am hitting 135x5 on the bench & Squat and 225+ on deadlift next week. From there is where I usually start seeing some visual progress.