BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Does it matter how tall the person is that trains you?

The ones who I have paid to write programs and train me have all been 5’8, 5’9 and so on. I am 6’3’’ I have never met a person who is not drug assisted who has or is building their bodies to what I am striving for. I have been thinking do I need to be training with guys who have been through what I have? Do I need to be trained by taller guys in order to benefit more?

I am getting results and I like the results - but the creeping question that I am sure comes in all our minds - am I getting the MOST out of my training and is a shorter trainer who hasn’t been through the struggle of putting on size with a tall frame holding me back?

This idea of someone shorter and the biomechanical advantage with shorter range of motion is beyond question. But does it matter?

Please discuss and let me know your thoughts on any one of these questions. I value your input. thanks.
Unread 12-26-2018, 09:06 PM

I don't think it should matter at all and I'm unsure why you think it would matter. You mentioned that a shorter trainer wouldn't have gone through the struggle of putting muscle on their own taller frame. I guess that might be relevant if you need someone to sympathize with you or something. But that sounds more like a buddy or counselor or something rather than a trainer.
Unread 12-27-2018, 03:10 AM

No, but you do need to be trained by someone who understands how the idiosyncrasies of your body effect the mechanics of your lifts. That should be stuff that any competent trainer starts working with you to figure out on day one.

IMO any trainer worth their salt should be well aware of just how individual training is. A lot of how your body works you're only going to figure out through personal experience. Just don't train with blockheads; if someone presents themselves as having The Answer to all of your training problems, run.
Unread 12-27-2018, 05:41 AM

Ok, since no one wants to hurt your feelings, I will. Your question is beyond dumb.
Unread 12-27-2018, 08:23 AM

- Most people base their advice on what works for themselves. And it is true that a short guy is usually going to have a different experience in the gym that a tall guy. It manifests itself in many ways. For example, shorter guys tend to have short femurs (even going by ratios, not absolute numbers) and thus tend to have an easier time squatting, they hit depth with an upright torso easier, and so forth.

- They tend to 'bulk up' easier as there's less frame to fill out.

- What kind of body are you striving for, anyway? Where are you, and where do you want to be? Understand that rampant steroid abuse in the bodybuilding and iron worlds have dramatically shifted perceptions of what is attainable naturally. On the other hand, the long/lean look with a healthy amount of muscle (likely less than you think) is what's coveted in the real world, so don't get too down on yourself just because you don't look like Ahnold.

- Sometimes I've thought that bodybuilding/powerlifting/weightlifting was a way for short guys who hated tall guys to get back at them. Hmmmm.. "you HAVE to squat below parallel." "And let's put that bar nine inches off the ground, let them have fun trying to pick that up with a straight back, hehehe."

Kidding of course. I think.

- There are other things that come up. For example, as a tall guy myself, I cannot use any upper body pressing machines for long. They're mostly awkward and contorted and quickly lead to shoulder pain. Even the beloved incline hammer press started giving me issue somewhere along the way.

By the way, I'm not anti-machine. I still use others regularly... e.g. leg press, chest-supported row, reverse fly, and others. Nothing for chest/shoulders fits though... seems to generally apply to taller guys as well, albeit not universally.

- A quality trainer of any height should be able to work with you. That said, quality trainers aren't exactly easy to find. See my first bullet point: most people base their advice on what works for them. For example, you're probably not going to have much luck convincing a 5'6" guy who has had picture perfect squat form from day one that you, as a 6'3" guy may have to squat differently (or maybe not at all). I wish you luck trying though.
Unread 12-27-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Ok, since no one wants to hurt your feelings, I will. Your question is beyond dumb.
I wouldn’t go that far. I would say that paying anyone for a program in the modern day with Lyle’s GBR and specialization routines out there for free and Helms’ Pyramid books is probably pretty dumb.
Unread 12-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertCleverNameHere View Post
I don't think it should matter at all and I'm unsure why you think it would matter. You mentioned that a shorter trainer wouldn't have gone through the struggle of putting muscle on their own taller frame. I guess that might be relevant if you need someone to sympathize with you or something. But that sounds more like a buddy or counselor or something rather than a trainer.
Because people with perfect levers never know what not having perfect levers is like.

trainer: But I can do a full squat easily.
Trainee: you have perfect ratios of femur to shin to torso, I'm built like an ostrich.

I don't think this means that the person training the OP needs to be as tall as him, but they should have experience or understanding training tall people.
Unread 12-27-2018, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
NO, not really. But the responses in here sure as hell have been.

Height can generally impact on overall levers, ratios of leg to torso.

So take someone who is 5'5" with PERFECT squatting or benching levers.

What the hell do they know about someone 6'5" without either unless they have trained that person.

Trainer: C'mon, full squatting is easy.
Traiene: not when you're built like a giraffe it's not
Unread 12-27-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
I wouldn’t go that far. I would say that paying anyone for a program in the modern day with Lyle’s GBR and specialization routines out there for free and Helms’ Pyramid books is probably pretty dumb.
But d00d the only thing keeping me away from ifbb pro is larry wheel's NEW POWERBUILDINg routine!!! Or was it Jon meadow's annihilator program
Unread 12-29-2018, 09:02 AM

I lift with my friend who is 6'6 (I'm 6') His size and proportions make squats and a lot of machines pretty unsuitable. A good trainer will understand the differences in mechanics regardless of his own height, or at the very least will notice them when you are performing the exercise.