BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default Methods of Endurance Training

Part 1 on the main site
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:09 PM

I absolutely can't wait for the next article (although I guess I have no choice ) I've actually been meaning to start a thread specific to mitochondrial biogenesis and protocols but it looks like I won't have too. I just need a little patience.

Thanks for the great stuff here, Lyle.
Unread 10-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Don't get too excited, it won't be anything you haven't seen a million times before. I'm just going to pro and con it and look at different stuff like I always do.
Unread 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Hmmm, I actually have a couple of specific questions but I'll hold onto them just in case they get answered anyway.
Unread 10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Ah go ahead and ask, if npthing else, it may spur me to write that much more verbiage to cover it all
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Ok,

To cut to the chase I was wondering what your thoughts were on Joel's HICT method in terms of mitochondrial biogenesis. I didn't expect you do discuss this method specifically in your series but I thought you might discuss enough that I'd be able to form my own opinion on it.

The reason behind my question is that I have chronic shin splints and could never put in the "road work" that most other fighters do. I've used mostly bag work and sport specific stuff for conditioning and my heart rates actually look pretty good when it comes to recovery, work capacity, and all that jazz but what I noticed is that when actually fighting (or just sparring) my legs fatigue fast and hard. They start to burn and all that good stuff then before you know it I'm gasping for air and this is all very odd because when it comes to anything else we do in class I'm in the upper percentile of being conditioned. Pad work and all of that I'm an animal but I don't have to move much. Even my trainers don’t understand why I gas so bad when I spar considering the performance I show in other exercises. My *theory* is that because I've looked for things that didn't involve running I've unintentionally ended up doing things that didn't even involve moving around that much so I think that my local endurance in my legs is probably crap (I move and bounce around a lot when I fight) so I'm guessing that I just have never developed the mitochondria, enzymes, capillaries, and all that stuff in my legs and it's causing me to gas.

I'm starting to use bikes and ellipticals more to build up leg endurance and I'm looking for means of focusing on the local stuff vs. things like the heart which I seem to be in decent shape with. So, long story made very short… for local leg endurance I’m wondering if simply doing the LSD stuff on the bike (for example) will do more for that or if there’s something to the HICT thing that might make it superior in this specific case.
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
2. When acid is produced, the body can metabolize it better
Otherwise, awesome article, as usual.
I am the number one Ninja and I have killed all the Shoguns in front of me. You've got some new young Shoguns trying to step up—Amare, Jermaine, Ming. But by the time they kill this Shogun, I'll be retired, and I'll have two platinum swords and five NBA MVP balls. That is why one day I said my game will be like the Pythagorean Theorem—hard to figure out.

Last edited by LBSS : 10-30-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
So what, you ask, turns on AMPk? Basically, AMPk is activated when the energy status of the cell is disrupted. So under normal conditions, the body is using ATP for fuel but can make as much as it needs. When you start exercising, the body can’t make ATP quickly enough and you get an increase in something called ADP (adenosine diphospate, it’s just ATP with a phosphate stripped off of it).

And this shift in the ATP/ADP ratio is what turns on AMPk; basically the cell ’senses’ that it’s energy levels have been disrupted so it turns on other stuff to try and combat that; AMPk activation is a big part of ‘what happens’. And when you activate AMPk along with doing a bunch of other stuff you get an adaptation. Mitochondria proliferate, aerobic enzymes increase; endurance improves.
AMP?
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:36 PM

adenosine diphosphate
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlankIt View Post
adenosine diphosphate
No, AMP.

As in 5' adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase.