BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-05-2018, 06:58 AM

Default any way to justify spending longer than 14 days on a diet break

So i made a post before about my experiences with extreme deficits and how it kept messing me up hormonally in terms of cortisol as i would retain obscene amounts of water. I took it upon myself to diet break at maintenance for a week and then went on vacation to croatia for an extra 5 days eating more food and drinking some. Immediately i noticed the water slowly dissipating from my face and some parts of my body.. it was still lingering but i was making progress. i then went back into a very hard deficit. not rfl but still the deficit was very very big. things were going well for 3 days then day 4 bam... water retention strikes once again. im worried. i don't know whats going on. i thought i done the break and could endure another few weeks of strict dieting, but my body has other ideas? do i need to just take a prolonged period of time away from dieting?
Unread 05-05-2018, 09:00 AM

My personal experience after 6 months very restrictive dieting and over doing cardio. It took me a couple of months to ever really feel back to normal and repair all of the damage.

How much fat do you really think you’ll lose with a few more weeks of dieting? Cut your losses and get to maintenance and body back to normal.
Unread 05-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Of I were you I would take at least 2 weeks eating slightly above maintenance making sure to get a lot of carbs. I wouldn't be surprised if your "maintenance" was actually just a less extreme deficit from how your posts sound. Estimate your deficit and eat 200 Cal's above that for 2-3 weeks.

What are your stats? Why are you trying to diet so hard? What is the rush? Clearly it isn't working anyway. I have a feeling there is a lot more to this story than you are describing here.

Last edited by manofsteel : 05-05-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Unread 05-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
My personal experience after 6 months very restrictive dieting and over doing cardio. It took me a couple of months to ever really feel back to normal and repair all of the damage.

How much fat do you really think you値l lose with a few more weeks of dieting? Cut your losses and get to maintenance and body back to normal.
Thanks for this.

When you say repair all of the damage, were you having the same issues as me in terms of rushing back to cutting aggressively and wrecking cortisol? This has been a constant issue for 2 years now. I take it 10 days of maintenance is not enough time for an individual like me who痴 past two years have consisted of extremely high activity and really low calorie days with maybe a binge or two every few weeks.
Unread 05-05-2018, 10:34 AM

I think I知 just going to take the rest of may off in terms of dieting. Slight surplus or maintenance. Then go back to it and see how I react. I think my issue is even after I finish a cut and look somewhat decent. Ive NEVER stayed in that shape for longer than a week. The former fatty in me binges all the fat back in a matter of weeks and I知 back to square one.. then I just do another extremely high activity / low calorie few months and the water retention happens again. I think this cycle has happened 4 times in the past two years
Unread 05-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taytay100 View Post
Thanks for this.

When you say repair all of the damage, were you having the same issues as me in terms of rushing back to cutting aggressively and wrecking cortisol? This has been a constant issue for 2 years now. I take it 10 days of maintenance is not enough time for an individual like me who痴 past two years have consisted of extremely high activity and really low calorie days with maybe a binge or two every few weeks.
If you consider that it takes anorexics months to recover hromonally it痴 not going to be much different for you even though you might have not been at their level.

My problems that it took that long to recover from were not just cortisol but also sex drive, ED problems, lethargy, insomnia, and binging habits.
Unread 05-05-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I think I知 just going to take the rest of may off in terms of dieting. Slight surplus or maintenance. Then go back to it and see how I react. I think my issue is even after I finish a cut and look somewhat decent. Ive NEVER stayed in that shape for longer than a week. The former fatty in me binges all the fat back in a matter of weeks and I知 back to square one.. then I just do another extremely high activity / low calorie few months and the water retention happens again. I think this cycle has happened 4 times in the past two years
You may look into long term maintenance diet habits that can help with that. Keep whole protein high, eat more of the same foods you diet with, avoid binge trigger situations and even intermittent fasting to give you more calories later in the day.
Unread 05-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The former fatty in me binges all the fat back in a matter of weeks and I’m back to square one.. then I just do another extremely high activity / low calorie few months and the water retention happens again. I think this cycle has happened 4 times in the past two years
http://eatingdisorders.com/articles/...urging-bulimia

"Non-purging bulimia is characterized by patterns of binge eating followed by ingesting medications such as diet pills or stimulants, fasting and skipping meals, or participating in excessive amounts of exercise. Although these activities may be employed by bulimics who purge, they are not the primary means of controlling caloric intake. A complex lifestyle is adopted in order to manage the cycle of binging and weight control."

And you haven't mentioned if you are a man or woman, how much you currently weigh, how you have been excessively dieting for 2 years. None of this makes any sense unless you have an eating disorder. You should seek help on an eating disorder forum instead of a dieting one. I don't mean to be harsh but dieting advice is not what you need.

And what are your goals even? You say that any time you look somewhat decent you binge it all back in a week. What fat percentage are you trying to maintain?

Last edited by manofsteel : 05-05-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Unread 05-05-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
You may look into long term maintenance diet habits that can help with that. Keep whole protein high, eat more of the same foods you diet with, avoid binge trigger situations and even intermittent fasting to give you more calories later in the day.
Thanks for this.

In your opinion though do you not find it a bit strange that I addressed the issue with a 10 day diet break and then when I go back to hard dieting my weight immediately jacks up and I look like a whale. It feels like I was destined to fall at the first hurdle

Last edited by Taytay100 : 05-05-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Unread 05-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So i made a post before about my experiences with extreme deficits and how it kept messing me up hormonally in terms of cortisol as i would retain obscene amounts of water. I took it upon myself to diet break at maintenance for a week and then went on vacation to croatia for an extra 5 days eating more food and drinking some. Immediately i noticed the water slowly dissipating from my face and some parts of my body.. it was still lingering but i was making progress. i then went back into a very hard deficit. not rfl but still the deficit was very very big. things were going well for 3 days then day 4 bam... water retention strikes once again. im worried. i don't know whats going on. i thought i done the break and could endure another few weeks of strict dieting, but my body has other ideas? do i need to just take a prolonged period of time away from dieting?
Yes. And you don't have to 'justify' anything. You're an adult, you get to make your own choices. Nobody here are your parents or need to give you approval.