BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM

Default minimum effective dose / two times a week / maintenance

bit of a weird title I know.. but I've sort of come to a stage in my life where lifting has taken a backseat and i'm placing far more emphasis on other aspects of my life. however, I'm still quite conscious of the fact that I want to maintain my muscle mass and in order to do so I want to know the minimum effective dose in the gym to achieve this. At the moment I'm winging it and going twice a week doing pretty much what I want but keeping weight on the bar. The average sets per week I'd say my body parts are hit are around 5-8 in a 5-12 rep range give or take.

Any input/experience on this?
Unread 07-19-2017, 08:33 PM

Well if you keep doing 2x workouts per week your body will keep whatever portion of your muscle is required to do that much work

If you just wing it and do whatever you feel like then chances are over time you will do less abs lose muscle

So my advice is make yourself a plan and stick to it. That way you can tell if something is changing
Unread 07-28-2017, 05:36 AM

I'm in the same situation. Small kids, long days in the office etc. so I've been training 2 days per week for years now. Standard upper/lower split like the generic bulking routine but added overhead press to the upper day. I've made progress to a point but the low volume (6 sets per major muscle group) will slow and stop the progression. Training to failure in most of the sets could compensate this but I prefer not to get injured.

I asked for ideas how to make further progression. Here is the previous thread:
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=33118
Additional volume has helped me to progress with my bench again. You could prioritize other muscle groups the same way.
Unread 07-28-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Well if you keep doing 2x workouts per week your body will keep whatever portion of your muscle is required to do that much work
In what time frame? I mean, when cutting you're also dropping volume a lot and still aim to maintain muscle mass. I'm not sure how this statement should be applied.
Unread 07-28-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
In what time frame? I mean, when cutting you're also dropping volume a lot and still aim to maintain muscle mass. I'm not sure how this statement should be applied.
Very carefully.
Unread 07-28-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredordie View Post
bit of a weird title I know.. but I've sort of come to a stage in my life where lifting has taken a backseat and i'm placing far more emphasis on other aspects of my life. however, I'm still quite conscious of the fact that I want to maintain my muscle mass and in order to do so I want to know the minimum effective dose in the gym to achieve this. At the moment I'm winging it and going twice a week doing pretty much what I want but keeping weight on the bar. The average sets per week I'd say my body parts are hit are around 5-8 in a 5-12 rep range give or take.

Any input/experience on this?
You could try doing the RFL workout. It's about as short and to the point as you can get while still hitting almost everything directly. http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1724

Add a couple sets of calves if maintaining those is important to you. You can add volume in other parts as well if you have the time and inclination (you won't have the recovery concerns that you would on RFL.)

You could also look at some of the old hardgainer and abbreviated routines, something like squat/bench/row on one day and deadlift/overhead press/pullups on another day, or similar.