BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-28-2012, 09:48 PM

Default Some input on 1 month in Keto

Hi all. I've purchased the Ketogenic diet book. I was already familiar with the general principles and have followed a lower carb diet for going on 4 years now. I've had higher carb times but more or less have followed a good meat and veg program. I am a 27 year old female. I'm 5'3" and 122 lbs. I'm down 8 pounds in the last month being strict with the program. A typical day's breakdown is 1300-1500 calories, 20-30 net carb, 70-90g protein, and the rest fat. My work is active. I walk 2 miles/day and do very very light occasional resistance weight training. I am happy with the progress and know that it will continue. Now I would like feedback on whether it would be wise of me to include a cheat day. I am an all or nothing person and have dieted for 6 months at a time before. I have also been 84 lbs. I would like to keep my metabolism up and not slow down. I'm aware of all the research into leptin hormone, especially for a woman so I take this into account. I don't do well with moderation and an all out cheat day would work better for me than carb cycling. Thoughts?
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Hi Valerie.

I recommend you do a planned carb load day including some of your favorite food items so you don't feel deprived, and so you can keep your hormonal balance.

The day before the load, write down how much fat, carbs, and protein you will eat the next day and make everything fit into the figures that are suitable for you. Go shopping and have everything prepared/prepare going out with friends/family beforehand so everything is planned out. Put some effort into it so it is less likely that you slip up on the day.

Take this as an opportunity to overcome the all or nothing attitude towards your diet. If you are in this for the long run, it is better to address limiting factors of your behavior that keep you from achieving and maintaining your goals.

Being in a happy medium will keep the body happier in the long run rather than going all or nothing on it for extended periods.

Peace.