BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-20-2017, 10:40 AM

Everybody's abs look different. Indeed, some people never get bulbous abdominals, this is true. You'll only know if you give up.
Unread 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Nah.

I know obviously it's considerably harder at 49 than at 29, but still, if you want to get abs and not be super skinny, I really suggest you find some way to increase a bit of lean mass first.

What are you lifting? Try to increase the big compounds. Try and gain 3-5kg of lean muscle. It may still be possible.

THEN, at 165-170 lbs, you should be quite lean and ab-by.
My thought process was to go for absolute broke on leanness now, chill out during the summer (and do maintenance), THEN next fall/winter bulk up and add your 3-5kg.

I keep coming real close on the ab front, then bail on it, start to bulk, and I end up right back where I started...heavier than I want and taking months to get to 10-12%.

One of these days, I'd like to reach that magical level of leanness where your partition ratio is fantastic so when bulking, it doesn't go all to fat.

And there's NO WAY I'm bulking during the summer. That said, all this bulking talk has me thinking of bagging dieting for the rest of today, hitting my tension workout, and start eating Captain Crunch.

Last edited by kyoun1e : 04-20-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Because??
Unread 04-20-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
My thought process was to go for absolute broke on leanness now, chill out during the summer (and do maintenance), THEN next fall/winter bulk up and add your 3-5kg.

I keep coming real close on the ab front, then bail on it, start to bulk, and I end up right back where I started...heavier than I want and taking months to get to 10-12%.

One of these days, I'd like to reach that magical level of leanness where your partition ratio is fantastic so when bulking, it doesn't go all to fat.

And there's NO WAY I'm bulking during the summer. That said, all this bulking talk has me thinking of bagging dieting for the rest of today, hitting my tension workout, and start eating Captain Crunch.
You can do what you like, but if you diet down to 70-75kg at 6'2" you're gonna look like a beanpole. Sorry. But that's how it is.
Unread 04-21-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I think I've officially entered the phase "where dreams of abs die." This is the phase where fat loss slows to a crawl, difference in appearance is really hard to see, I start getting comments from friends along the lines of "are you sick?" and I start wondering if I even look like I lift anymore.

I've been doing exactly the same thing I have been doing. UD2. I've even been taking an extra "fat loss" day and making "day 4" a full day of dieting/low carb. The scale is just not budging too much. I'd been looking to make a run from 170 lbs (fully depleted) to 165 and I've been stuck at 167 here for a bit. There just seems to be a brick wall here.

On the positive side, I don't feel like I've lost any strength as I'm still pushing the same amount of weight around. (No PRs mind you). Also, clothes don't fit at all. I went from a 34 waist to 31 and pretty much had to buy a new wardrobe.

I'm tempted to dig into some of the old tricks (i.e. bronkaid?) to accelerate fat loss. Anything else anyone would recommend?

KY
How long have you been doing UD2.0 for? I'm on week 2 (of 4) and have no idea how people could run it for longer than 8 weeks. Personally I would recommend a week diet break then get back into it. In the grand scheme of things, it's not going to set you back and you may start to make progress again.

EC or a stronger "fat burner" are a huge help to boost TDEE and the appetite suppressant effects are helpful.
Unread 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellurium View Post
How long have you been doing UD2.0 for? I'm on week 2 (of 4) and have no idea how people could run it for longer than 8 weeks. Personally I would recommend a week diet break then get back into it. In the grand scheme of things, it's not going to set you back and you may start to make progress again.

EC or a stronger "fat burner" are a huge help to boost TDEE and the appetite suppressant effects are helpful.
I have been more or less in diet mode since last labor day with diet breaks here and there and especially around holidays, etc. Prior to Jan 1, this was more of an EOD type thing. Post Jan 1, I dove into UD2.

To be honest, I don't feel like my brain needs a diet break. UD2's setup allowing for the carb up end of week really helps me reset things on a week to week basis. For example, I hit the tension workout yesterday, started carbup, and the dread of low cal/carb is out of my brain.

Now, whether my body needs a break and I don't really know it is a different story.

I'm still determined to give this abs thing a shot and go where I've never gone before. I may never get another shot at this due to work, family, injury, or whatever...especially as I approach 50. I also am not going to bulk during the summer and drive myself crazy thinking I'm fat. I'll wait till fall for a bulk. I've got the rest of my life to get big and fat and I'd argue a much smaller window to be lean and semi ripped.

Added inspiration: Was flipping through channels last night while eating no fat froyo and spent some time watching "Fight Club" and the first episode of "The Leftovers" featuring Brad Pitt and Justin Theroux. Man, that's the goal. Those two don't look like they lift with a shirt on, but shirt off, rip city.
Unread 04-24-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I have been more or less in diet mode since last labor day with diet breaks here and there and especially around holidays, etc. Prior to Jan 1, this was more of an EOD type thing. Post Jan 1, I dove into UD2.

To be honest, I don't feel like my brain needs a diet break. UD2's setup allowing for the carb up end of week really helps me reset things on a week to week basis. For example, I hit the tension workout yesterday, started carbup, and the dread of low cal/carb is out of my brain.

Now, whether my body needs a break and I don't really know it is a different story.

I'm still determined to give this abs thing a shot and go where I've never gone before. I may never get another shot at this due to work, family, injury, or whatever...especially as I approach 50. I also am not going to bulk during the summer and drive myself crazy thinking I'm fat. I'll wait till fall for a bulk. I've got the rest of my life to get big and fat and I'd argue a much smaller window to be lean and semi ripped.

Added inspiration: Was flipping through channels last night while eating no fat froyo and spent some time watching "Fight Club" and the first episode of "The Leftovers" featuring Brad Pitt and Justin Theroux. Man, that's the goal. Those two don't look like they lift with a shirt on, but shirt off, rip city.
Lyle says in the book that UD2.0 should only be run for 6-8 weeks. Although you get a refeed and 1-2 days at maintenance I would imagine there is plenty of room for adaptive thermogenisis to occur during the 4-5 diet days. A week at maintenance won't delay your progress and could in fact be hugely beneficial for you.