BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Estimating lean mass and fat mass changes on deficits and bulks

A pound of fat tissue (454 grams total) has something like 10% water, so 1 lb of tissue has 408 grams of stored triglycerides, and if each gram of fat is 9 kCals per gram, that's roughly 3677 calories stored in each lb of fat.

But if we just eat at a 3677-calorie deficit, not all of that energy will be burned from the fat. Some will be lean mass.

Disclaimer: I understand that there are all sorts of variables in this scenario. The actual lipid content of the fats, genetics, how much protein you're getting, how much sleep you're getting, how aggressive your deficit is, your bodyfat / lean mass percentages, hormonal response, what kind of training you're doing to retain muscle, etc.

(I'm putting all that out there to make it clear that I know this is already complicated).

However what I want to know is if we've established quantifiable relationships / regressions among these variables at all.

As in, if I were to tell you "I am eating this much, I have a bodyfat percentage of x, I weigh y, I sleep z hours per day, I lift heavy 3x/week as a beginner, and I am eating at this deficit -- can you estimate how much of my weight lost is attributable to fat? Lean mass? Water?
Unread 05-16-2017, 06:17 AM

Nope. There is no set answer for this.