BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:19 PM
lylemcd's Avatar
lylemcd lylemcd is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22,641
Default Fiber Intake and Nutrient Absorption

Copied from elsewhere

**
Ok, so this came up last week sometime and I knew I had numbers for it and I came across this in the folder of the never to be finished mondo opus book. I'm going to assume that I had some decent source (probably the Stipanuk book) for the numbers. Anyhow, there you go. Ultimately, it's a fairly small effect.

***
I should mention that very high fiber intakes can increase the amount of nutrients being lost to excretion. For example, higher fiber intakes may reduce fat absorption by about 3 percent, protein by maybe 5%. Itís been estimated that increasing fiber intake from 18 to 36 g/day would increase caloric losses by about 100 cal/day or so.

Essentially, the fiber prevents the enzymes from being able to reach the nutrients, and they simply pass through unabsorbed. This is another reason that high-fiber intakes can be useful while dieting: decreased caloric absorption. Of course, no athlete or bodybuilder wants decreased protein absorption so its sort of a mixed blessing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
josh_67 josh_67 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Copied from elsewhere

**
Ok, so this came up last week sometime and I knew I had numbers for it and I came across this in the folder of the never to be finished mondo opus book. I'm going to assume that I had some decent source (probably the Stipanuk book) for the numbers. Anyhow, there you go. Ultimately, it's a fairly small effect.

***
I should mention that very high fiber intakes can increase the amount of nutrients being lost to excretion. For example, higher fiber intakes may reduce fat absorption by about 3 percent, protein by maybe 5%. It’s been estimated that increasing fiber intake from 18 to 36 g/day would increase caloric losses by about 100 cal/day or so.

Essentially, the fiber prevents the enzymes from being able to reach the nutrients, and they simply pass through unabsorbed. This is another reason that high-fiber intakes can be useful while dieting: decreased caloric absorption. Of course, no athlete or bodybuilder wants decreased protein absorption so its sort of a mixed blessing.
If one consumes Psyllium or other high fiber supp. inside of an hour or two of a protein based meal, would it be advisable to compensate with an additional 10 or so grams of protein just to be on the safe side?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 06-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Lily Pink Lily Pink is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2
Default

I have generally looked at fiber as medicinal and not nutritional, to help the body remove toxins. It is basically an anti-nutrient and cannot decipher between what is needed for the body and what is not so while it absorbs toxins it also takes precious vitamins, minerals and fats with it too. It forces the body to produce mucus and use water to expel the foreign substance. The body must replenish everything when we ingest fiber (extra vitamins, minerals, fats, water, electrolytes, etc...) and is extremely taxing on the body for the body cannot rest and heal/build muscles until the fiber is eliminated. It can destroy the delicate villi in the intestines and actually cause tears in any part of the digestive tract. it causes gas, bloating and intestinal distress while it rapes the body of everything it needs to survive. I can not see any reason to take fiber above the occasional seasonal fruit/veg unless you have a bout of diarrhea (a sign that the body is trying to rid itself of some toxin). Your thoughts?
__________________
Animal meat and fat are nutrients, plants are medicine, eat accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:51 AM
lylemcd's Avatar
lylemcd lylemcd is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Pink View Post
I have generally looked at fiber as medicinal and not nutritional, to help the body remove toxins. It is basically an anti-nutrient and cannot decipher between what is needed for the body and what is not so while it absorbs toxins it also takes precious vitamins, minerals and fats with it too. It forces the body to produce mucus and use water to expel the foreign substance. The body must replenish everything when we ingest fiber (extra vitamins, minerals, fats, water, electrolytes, etc...) and is extremely taxing on the body for the body cannot rest and heal/build muscles until the fiber is eliminated. It can destroy the delicate villi in the intestines and actually cause tears in any part of the digestive tract. it causes gas, bloating and intestinal distress while it rapes the body of everything it needs to survive. I can not see any reason to take fiber above the occasional seasonal fruit/veg unless you have a bout of diarrhea (a sign that the body is trying to rid itself of some toxin). Your thoughts?
Yeah, everything you wrote above is wrong. Those are my thoughts. I also think that you're a post bot looking for the term fiber. Please PM me to prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Cubanation's Avatar
Cubanation Cubanation is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Yeah, everything you wrote above is wrong. Those are my thoughts. I also think that you're a post bot looking for the term fiber. Please PM me to prove me wrong.
Damn Lyle, haven't been on here for a while, still fat. Sadly. But I'm back, and how I did miss your classic replies. Keep it up.

That said, I'm looking into supplementing with flavorless Metamucil. Me thinks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Stapedius's Avatar
Stapedius Stapedius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanation View Post
Damn Lyle, haven't been on here for a while, still fat. Sadly. But I'm back, and how I did miss your classic replies. Keep it up.

That said, I'm looking into supplementing with flavorless Metamucil. Me thinks.
I supplement with metamucil because it makes defecation an other-worldly experience.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM
gxxr1130 gxxr1130 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapedius View Post
I supplement with metamucil because it makes defecation an other-worldly experience.
I couldn't agree more or laugh harder
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Todd Lincoln Todd Lincoln is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Default

I currently take 6g of psyllium twice a day for general health. I just add a teaspoon of Konsyl to a protein shake for each serving. Is there specific timing for fiber consumption that is considered optimal? I take some vitamins and fish oil and am unsure if absorption would be greatly effected to the degree that I should just consume the fiber supplement in between meals and not with food and vitamins.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 06-22-2012, 04:36 AM
gxxr1130 gxxr1130 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lincoln View Post
I currently take 6g of psyllium twice a day for general health. I just add a teaspoon of Konsyl to a protein shake for each serving. Is there specific timing for fiber consumption that is considered optimal? I take some vitamins and fish oil and am unsure if absorption would be greatly effected to the degree that I should just consume the fiber supplement in between meals and not with food and vitamins.
Excellent question. I take 5g a day myself. That makes sense to take the fiber separately from EFAs or Vitamins if it does negatively affect absorption. I might try taking it prior to meals to reduce hunger. It seems that Glucomannan is combined with Hoodia for this effect in some supplements. I'm not liking the EC stack, so this could be a stimulant free way for me to reduce hunger.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:49 AM
scottyw scottyw is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Default

I had some bloodwork done recently... I had low iron... Hemoglobin n red cells were fine, but iron was low. Im a regular blood donor, so this can contribute to the low iron. When donating, I have never been turned away because of low iron. Just in the serum iron it showed up.

I did some reading and found that high fiber can also contribute to low iron levels. I do track my iron via MFP, and I usually eat upwards of 50g per day, I was supplementing metamucil too. Fiber I also tracked in MFP Also through reading the damn internet, like anything else, too much fiber can lead to other mineral and vitamin deficiencys. I have decided to cut the fiber back to the reccommended 30-35g per day, and not donate, and see what happens in a couple of months with the iron, and the other minerals.

So it is def a mixed blessing when it comes to nutrition. Number 2's have been wonderful I just have to add.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.