BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-07-2015, 05:08 PM

Default Track compounds and use isolations for additional volume?

Quote:
In the same way some exercises are best designed for extra volume and getting a pump (db curls, tricep extensions, cable crossovers, leg extensions etc) so while you might add more weight over time, it shouldn't be the main goal, unless you want to screw up your joints. As opposed to exercises suited for a heavy training stimulus, such as compound exercises which you can go very heavy on through a full range of motion, and progressively load.
Would most agree with this statement that certain exercises are just to get more volume in and risk joint pains? Therefore, concluding that one should or at least it's more optimal to progress in compounds and track progress more there. Then use other isolation movements to add in more volume work?
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:42 PM

This is born from my experience of years in the gym. It is safer to heavily load compound exercises. Trying to go real heavy on isolation exercises is more dangerous and will hurt your joints in the long term.

That being said, going heavy on compound exercises for long periods of time can also make your joints cry as well, it just takes longer. Heavy bench, dips and row/pullups (sets of 4-6 reps) for 6 months straight made my elbows sore, sore, sore. I have small joints and bone structure though so overall am not built to push big weights like some people with big joints and bones.
Unread 05-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
This is born from my experience of years in the gym. It is safer to heavily load compound exercises. Trying to go real heavy on isolation exercises is more dangerous and will hurt your joints in the long term.

That being said, going heavy on compound exercises for long periods of time can also make your joints cry as well, it just takes longer. Heavy bench, dips and row/pullups (sets of 4-6 reps) for 6 months straight made my elbows sore, sore, sore. I have small joints and bone structure though so overall am not built to push big weights like some people with big joints and bones.
Deloads and periodization?

High intensity training with aggressive progression for 6 months straight will cause most people joint problems.
Unread 05-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post

This is discussed explicitly in the Categories of Weight Training series.
Unread 05-26-2015, 03:00 PM

Good to know and thanks for the heads up. It may take me some time to read all 15 parts though.
Unread 07-21-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
lylemcd
03-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, following dl's with a quad specific movement (I like split squats with the knee pushed forwards to make it more quad dominant) is a good combination, everything certainly gets hit.
lyle do you think this would be more for additional volume and supplemental work for weak points etc.? and the focus would not be going close to faikure or really trying to dig on these exercises ? (ex. lunges,extensions, or other isos following compound work for that muscle group?)