BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Yeah, following dl's with a quad specific movement (I like split squats with the knee pushed forwards to make it more quad dominant) is a good combination, everything certainly gets hit.
Unread 03-19-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
there is even some theorizing that modern Olympic lifting will get rid of the back squat
Sounds interesting, any place I can read more about that?
Unread 03-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueled View Post
Sounds interesting, any place I can read more about that?
I couldn't tell you where I saw it but some folks were arguing at one point that, as the sport progresses, all that will be done is snatch, C&J and front squat. This was when the Bulgarian style of training (all specificity all the time) was dominating and was just a logical final step (dropping back squats)

Of course, with the Chinese dominance (and their use of a lot of assistance movements including <gasp> bodybuilding exercises), the trends will likely shift back in the other direction with a lot more variety.

That's how it goes in sports: whomever is winning at the time clearly has the 'right' way to train so everybody will shift to that method. Until someone else comes up training differently. And then that is the 'right' way to train.
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:19 AM

Cool. I suppose the best approach is using a little of both, as usual. In Sweden I think there's too little specificity in one regard, namely practicing competition lifts. What I mean is, trainees will be forced by coaches to execute the lifts slooowly every single workout, to focus on technique. Nothing wrong in that, but when the same trainees lift less in competitions because all they know is how to lift slowly, not forcefully/violently, then something is wrong.

On a different note, does the strength gained in the leg press transfer well to, primarily, the front squat? Assuming I kept doing front squats along with the leg press as the primary strength movement, that is.
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

If you only had someone leg press without front squatting, there would be no transfer.

My opinion is that, so long as you're doing the other movement (in this example front squats), there will be some integration of the strength gained in non-specific movements to that. That is

If you front squat and leg press and drive up leg press strength, there should be some transfer to front squat b/c the practice of front squat will integrate the strength gained in the non-specific movement.
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:54 AM

Alright then. I'll be incorporating leg presses to my program from now on, got a few ideas already, see how it goes.
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Do you have an opinion on Trap Bar Deadlifts as an alternative to squats?
Unread 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM

What about the idea that the stabilizing the abs are doing in the squat makes for any significant hypertrophy? Because I'm all for consolidation and efficiency.
Unread 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOz View Post
Do you have an opinion on Trap Bar Deadlifts as an alternative to squats?
They are halfway between a true squat and a true DL. It's a good movement done properly.
Unread 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank yangs left quad View Post
What about the idea that the stabilizing the abs are doing in the squat makes for any significant hypertrophy? Because I'm all for consolidation and efficiency.
did you read the article? I'm serious here, b/c I was talking about LEG growth. Why are you asking me about teh abs?