BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-20-2009, 05:23 PM

The article showed that, surprisingly, leg growth doesn't depend on what exercise you use to put the muscle under tension, but on overload, progression, form, etc. So if (good form) squatting and leg presses are both sufficient for leg training, I wonder what other factors might be relevant when deciding what exercise to do (besides these mentioned in the article)?

Edit: thinking about it, that wasn't completely honest. I love doing the "big compounds", I don't like doing direct ab work or machine work at all and I would like to hear that doing what is fun to me (squats) will work towards my beach body, too.

Last edited by frank yangs left quad : 03-20-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: honesty
Unread 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM

The rectus abdominis doesn't work much during squats. The only compound exercise I can think of, that might greatly activate the RA, is pull up with weight, when you try to contract it during the exercise.

Anyway, IMO, using low intensity isometric contractions should mainly activate slow fibres that don't tend to grow much (Not like I think any synergistic movement is better than hitting things directly, a recent study kinda indirectly showed it ).

Last edited by SSS : 03-21-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Unread 03-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

At best the rectus is an isometric stabilizer. but if it fired dynamically, it would tend to make you bend over since it causes spinal flexion.
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:20 PM

This is related to having pressing movements as the "main leg movement" for all leg workouts:
If a person doesn't deadlift/rdl, how do you recommend alternating leg workouts if at all?
Would it cause hamstring/quad imbalances if all leg workouts were:
- Press Compound Exericse - 4x6-8
- Hamstring Curls - 3 x 10
- Pressing Unilateral Exercise - 3 x 10-12
Calves/Abs

How else would you recommend messing with that?
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:41 PM

why do you need to mess with it. squat, front squat, glute ham raises, reverse hypers, split squat, leg press, hack squat, etc. there is a lot of pressing, pulling variety, but who says you NEED variety? stimulus and progressive overload are whats important.
Unread 05-04-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGenetix View Post
why do you need to mess with it. squat, front squat, glute ham raises, reverse hypers, split squat, leg press, hack squat, etc. there is a lot of pressing, pulling variety, but who says you NEED variety? stimulus and progressive overload are whats important.
Cuz in the bulk routine, Lyle recommends starting one lower workoout with a heavy, compound pull exercise and I'm not doing that. Should I start with Hamstring Curls 4x8ish or jsut repeat the same workout and risk have quad-hamstring imbalances?
Unread 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Why can't you do dl's?
Unread 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGenetix View Post
Why can't you do dl's?
my back.
Unread 06-26-2009, 02:17 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I've come to realize, I have to admit that I was one of the people who just insisted on squats even though my geometry isnt the best for them. I have the wrong leverages that require me to bend over too far, and the squat ends up being more back work than legs for sure.

I think for a while I'm going to try doing single leg presses and only do back squats every other week or so.

I do like squats for their overall body involvement, but as far as a leg benefit, in my case they arent seeming to help. My quads especially suck, ok in strength but sizewise they are lame. They get very little from back squats in my case. Front squats hit them a bit more, but then its a lot of work in the core/low back to stay upright, and usually those areas will tire before the legs do.
Unread 06-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I've come to realize, I have to admit that I was one of the people who just insisted on squats even though my geometry isnt the best for them. I have the wrong leverages that require me to bend over too far, and the squat ends up being more back work than legs for sure.

I think for a while I'm going to try doing single leg presses and only do back squats every other week or so.

I do like squats for their overall body involvement, but as far as a leg benefit, in my case they arent seeming to help. My quads especially suck, ok in strength but sizewise they are lame. They get very little from back squats in my case. Front squats hit them a bit more, but then its a lot of work in the core/low back to stay upright, and usually those areas will tire before the legs do.
Do you do high bar or low bar? High bar squats kill my lower back. Low bar squatting is perfect for me.