BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Men's Bodyfat Percentages

A Visual Guide

Unread 07-11-2014, 11:46 AM

As a hint for how my scan turned out, my DEXA today and my pictures in the bodyfat estimation forum do not line up with those photos. Of course, there's a fair amount of error with even DEXA. As you always say, track caliper measurements over time.

And of course, this is n = 1.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 07-11-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Unread 07-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Administrator

For some reasons I am not clear on DEXA seems to return higher values than caliper methods when you're looking at these types of pictures. It's something inherent to the method.
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:57 PM

I cannot wait till my calipers come in; first time I'll be using those...I have been doing the visual guessing method for years now...In any case looks like I'm somewhere between 15-20%.

Thanks for the sticky this can help confirm some things for me.
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Low amounts of muscle mass can be deceiving as well. Skinny guy at 10% vs guy with 30lbs more muscle @ 10% will look way leaner.
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohze View Post
Low amounts of muscle mass can be deceiving as well. Skinny guy at 10% vs guy with 30lbs more muscle @ 10% will look way leaner.
+1
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohze View Post
Well duh, 10% of a guy who weighs 200lbs is 6lbs more than a guy who weighs 170lbs.

I've seen that graphic before and there really doesn't seem to be a huge difference between 25% and 20%, and especially between 20% and 15%. But eh it's good enough. Now that I got a set of the good calipers I don't worry about it as much anymore either, like everyone keeps saying once you get down low enough there's not enough of a difference between LBM and total weight that it matters as much when setting calories, protein etc.

RFL Round 2 Log (ended 10/25/2013)

UD2.0 Log (started 12/29/13)
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM

I wish there was a better visual for 12-20%...it seems most guys tend to be in this area and strive to get down to 10 and below..well..guys like me atleast.

Second UD2.0 LOG (Cut for asthetics) July 2014
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=28957

Food log
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/brofessorphd/status
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM

I wouldn't mind looking somewhat close to the 6-7% guy. The 3-4 % guy is peeled! Either way, they're both in contest shape, and not many of us here are going to "need" to get that lean. I think 7-9% in "real life" is ridiculously impressive, especially with a decent amount of LBM. Just my humble opinion though.

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761
Unread 07-16-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brofessorphd View Post
I wish there was a better visual for 12-20%...it seems most guys tend to be in this area and strive to get down to 10 and below..well..guys like me atleast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyguns18 View Post
I wouldn't mind looking somewhat close to the 6-7% guy. The 3-4 % guy is peeled! Either way, they're both in contest shape, and not many of us here are going to "need" to get that lean. I think 7-9% in "real life" is ridiculously impressive, especially with a decent amount of LBM. Just my humble opinion though.
The thing is, there is no true "gold standard" if you read through all of the research, short of dissecting a cadaver of course. DEXA has a fairly huge error from individual to individual, particularly in lean men. Even the 4-compartment model has a certain degree of error, not that most have access to these. These estimates, like the picture in the OP, are simply based off of what individuals on the internet perceive as 5%, 7%, 10%...etc.

I think we can all agree stage ready bodybuilders are in the 4 - 6% range. Beyond that...it's just random numbers. It would be nice to have someone take a large population of leaner individuals and compare their pictures with the sum of multiple site caliper readings.

I say "leaner" because anyone above 15%ish is simply going to be perceived as out of shape, and beyond that, overweight.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 07-16-2014 at 05:35 PM.