BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
What is this, everyone is >6 feet tall here ?!
I'm 5'9", so there's one.

And I had abs at 163 lbs., DEXA'd at 9%. Then I lost ~8 lbs., my sex drive, motivation, energy, and muscle mass in effort to lean out more...DEXA'd again at 9%.

Much happier today at ~183 lbs., probably about 17%ish. But it's time to trim down, shooting for about 170.

Still 5'9" though!
Unread 01-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
At 6 feet, similar condition, I once had abs at 160. Several years ago.

One time I was also 6ft 130 pounds, no abs.

Just sayin', who knows?

I think frankly you'd look great at 165, but that's if you manage to maintain your lean mass on the way down. You don't have far to go at all.

You look pretty undeveloped, abdominally, though. I'd start working abs, in the meantime. Wake them up. No time like the present. Larger obliques would make your torso look a lot better.
Alcuhuetej...that calculator lands me at 15 or 16%. Not that this really matters I guess.

160 seems to be the magic number. And that is a long ways off. Think I'll try this in chunks. Do a 4 week stint and see if I can hit 170. That would be 1 lb per week. Re-assess bodyfat, abs, and the "do I look like I lift" test. Then shoot for 165 in another 4 weeks ish.

Squat...I've actually long been disappointed with my ab growth. I only hit them with one direct movement. It's the contraption where you are standing up straight, support yourself on the elbows, then bring the knees up. I do this on UD2 power workout with a 55 lb dumbell. Open to recommendations there.
Unread 01-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Weighted decline sit-ups. Decline bench thing with your feet holding you in. Lock into a progression of 8-12x3, 3x per week or so.

Start with holding one 25lb plate on your chest. When you work up to 50, your abs will big square things, with oblique triangles.

I feel like I advocate this all the time, maybe too much, but hardly anybody ever does it. Abs respond to heavy tension, man, like the rest.

Beyond that, I believe rdls elicit big obliques over time.
Unread 01-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Weighted decline sit-ups. Decline bench thing with your feet holding you in. Lock into a progression of 8-12x3, 3x per week or so.

Start with holding one 25lb plate on your chest. When you work up to 50, your abs will big square things, with oblique triangles.

I feel like I advocate this all the time, maybe too much, but hardly anybody ever does it. Abs respond to heavy tension, man, like the rest.

Beyond that, I believe rdls elicit big obliques over time.
Used to do these and did it with a 45 lb plate.

No difference.

Could have sworn that I read Lyle recommending weighted leg raises on the same decline bench but with hands holding the bar at the highest point and lifting your legs up at the lowest. My gym didn't have that so I used the contraption described above instead.

Regardless of movement chosen, don't see how I'm going to grow 'em now since I'm in a caloric deficit. If I nail the UD2 carbload and tension/power workout maybe I can gain a little mass.
Unread 01-17-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post

Could have sworn that I read Lyle recommending weighted leg raises on the same decline bench but with hands holding the bar at the highest point and lifting your legs up at the lowest. My gym didn't have that so I used the contraption described above instead.
Number of people I saw doing it correctly is zero. It takes time to learn how to stabilize the pelvis (leg raises work lower abdomen area especially).

As squat said, 6-8 reps on weighted crunches with 100+ lbs DB and you'll have huge set of abs. Make sure to flex the spine.
Unread 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM

And for heavy weighted crunches, EMG showed that this recruited the obliques as well.
Unread 01-17-2017, 03:30 PM

Hm. Well, so it goes.

I got up to 80. 8-12x3, three times per week. That is intensive training. If no results from that, you won't get from anything else. The loading is greater than with leg raises. Well, the heavy stimulus is even better with a squat or a deadlift for reps beyond three plates. If you can lift, you will always look like you lift. Just less so than say, a short person.

Anyhow, whatever movement you're going to do, you ought to start doing it now, and keep doing it for the rest of your fitness career. That will get you the best results. Before you next bulk or whatever, you're at least training the movement. And appearance will improve. You still have to get leaner, but the improvement is there. Trust me. Or don't.
Unread 01-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
What is this, everyone is >6 feet tall here ?!
Nah, i'm 5'8 as well brah. 176lbs now. cutting somewhere around the mid 160's. Should get me right around 10%.

OP you look good. Keep working out the abs. First time I cut to a low BF, I had no fat obviously but quickly realized I also have no (or minimal) abs (didn't work them out). Only then I realized abs are like any other muscle. funny hardly anyone at my gym likes to train them.
Unread 01-20-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Hm. Well, so it goes.

I got up to 80. 8-12x3, three times per week. That is intensive training. If no results from that, you won't get from anything else. The loading is greater than with leg raises. Well, the heavy stimulus is even better with a squat or a deadlift for reps beyond three plates. If you can lift, you will always look like you lift. Just less so than say, a short person.

Anyhow, whatever movement you're going to do, you ought to start doing it now, and keep doing it for the rest of your fitness career. That will get you the best results. Before you next bulk or whatever, you're at least training the movement. And appearance will improve. You still have to get leaner, but the improvement is there. Trust me. Or don't.
Well, I went back to this movement after abandoning for some time. Again, I used to do sets of 8 with a 45 lb wheel. So, I figured I'd give this a shot and as you say, "wake up" my abs.

Things didn't go so well.

I took a lousy 10 lb DB and I could hardly hit 10 reps. In addition, I felt a dull pain in my mid/lower back. Very very odd.

Does this sound like just plain ab weakness?

What's strange to me is that my back is damn strong. I do all kinds of posterior chain stuff and mix in yoga/foundation training movements on rest days.

Not sure what's going on here, but I don't like it. Hoping it's just weakness and maybe this "awakening" will take a bit to get rolling.

Was 172 lbs this morning so far loss continues. Tension workout today and power sunday where I'll give the abs a shot again.
Unread 01-20-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
Well, I went back to this movement after abandoning for some time. Again, I used to do sets of 8 with a 45 lb wheel. So, I figured I'd give this a shot and as you say, "wake up" my abs.

Things didn't go so well.

I took a lousy 10 lb DB and I could hardly hit 10 reps. In addition, I felt a dull pain in my mid/lower back. Very very odd.

Does this sound like just plain ab weakness?

What's strange to me is that my back is damn strong. I do all kinds of posterior chain stuff and mix in yoga/foundation training movements on rest days.

Not sure what's going on here, but I don't like it. Hoping it's just weakness and maybe this "awakening" will take a bit to get rolling.

Was 172 lbs this morning so far loss continues. Tension workout today and power sunday where I'll give the abs a shot again.
I'm not sure what your goal is for how your abs should look. But the pictures above are when I was at my leanest. I've been doing the same thing for years. Just 2 sets of weighted sit-ups, stopping short of going all the way up to keep constant tension on my abs, once a week. These days it's once or twice a week, and it may have been twice a week in the past as well, I don't remember.

Back then the dumbbells at my gym only went up to 80 lbs., so I'd do 2 sets for 15 reps I think. Although while building muscle over the years prior to that, I may have had access to dumbbells around 100 lbs. or so. Today it's 2 x 11 reps with 115 lbs.

Nothing complicated or fancy, just heavy direct ab work with weight.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 01-20-2017 at 10:18 PM.