BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-30-2017, 06:48 PM

Default Help me select a diet/exercise based on high output at work

Ok so $500/mth health insurance was making me angry and I got tired of doing 1-2 hours a day of cardio so I bit the bullet and got a part time job so I could qualify for obamacare

Nothing major just seasonal work. 5 nights/week, 4 hours a night. Occasionally 6-7 hours instead of 4.

Mostly I just get the store ready for the following day. Could include moving 40 lb boxes, pallets, block, 40 lb bags, etc. Only moderately heavy things for the most part.

However the amount of walking is fairly extreme. I'd have to estimate 8-15 miles a night. I'm gonna bring a step counter to get a better idea.

I'm 165 lbs roughly 20% bodyfat. So estimate 130-135 lbs LBM.

I quit lifting for the first month because I didn't know exactly what the job would entail lifting wise. I wasn't diligent about protein intake either and I was working 8 hr shifts until last week. As you can imagine I shed muscle extremely fast.

I can't see myself adding mass under these conditions. Should I just eat high protein (1.5 - 2G per LBM), and omega 3s until I get to 10-12%?

Or a minor deficit to lose 1 lb a week?

And lift heavy with low frequency, sets, and reps? Or moderate sets, reps, frequency?

II'm familiar with a huge amount of Lyles work but he recommends low doses of cardio. In this situation i cant really help it. I remember Jolio cut with huge amounts of cardio and by huge intakes of protein but I don't recall how drastic those measures were and I'm not sure i want to take them... 400g of protein a day makes me a little nauseous thinking about it...

I was thinking low carb (because I have extremely poor insulin resistance) and high fat might help me get me extremely lean and then I could focus on gaining as my schedule calms down

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 03-30-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: A
Unread 03-31-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post

Nothing major just seasonal work. 5 nights/week, 4 hours a night. Occasionally 6-7 hours instead of 4.

Mostly I just get the store ready for the following day. Could include moving 40 lb boxes, pallets, block, 40 lb bags, etc. Only moderately heavy things for the most part.

However the amount of walking is fairly extreme. I'd have to estimate 8-15 miles a night. I'm gonna bring a step counter to get a better idea.

I can't see myself adding mass under these conditions. Should I just eat high protein (1.5 - 2G per LBM), and omega 3s until I get to 10-12%?

Or a minor deficit to lose 1 lb a week?

And lift heavy with low frequency, sets, and reps? Or moderate sets, reps, frequency?

I was thinking low carb (because I have extremely poor insulin resistance) and high fat might help me get me extremely lean and then I could focus on gaining as my schedule calms down
I'm certain there are people here who know more about this. But based on what you have written and personal experience working retail, including a big box hardware type place with a lot of physical activity:

-set calories to sedentary maintenance roughly and you will get a deficit from the activity

-heavy/low frequency lifting because of recovery needs...I worked at least 8 hour shifts and usually needed 2 days off in a row to feel recovered

-wouldn't low carb since all the walking should make that not a big factor, but you could do moderate carbs w/some fat and protein before work shifts if you think insulin resistance is an issue

And, of course, you can adjust if that isn't working out.
Unread 03-31-2017, 08:00 PM

Well, not quitting everything lifting and protein related just because you have a 4 hour shift would be a start
Unread 03-31-2017, 08:46 PM

Indeed. Many people even have full-time physical jobs and manage to lift normally.
Unread 04-03-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Indeed. Many people even have full-time physical jobs and manage to lift normally.
This...not trying to sound like a badass or anything but when I was deployed in the military a few years ago I worked construction 12 hours a day and lifted afterwards 4x a week. Your work capacity will build and you'll be able to eat whatever the hell you want as well.
Unread 04-03-2017, 11:21 PM

I've got a test in 9 weeks that requires 40 hrs a week of study. I'm just not going to be able to lift frequently and do a strenuous job simultaneously and still channel my focus.

On top of that I've got nerve damage in a shoulder from a bar fight that causes some winging, anterior pelvic tilt, bad knees from Osgood slaughters with a partially torn acl caused by a fractured growth plate, and I tore my pec clean off my bicep 2 years ago. Im also old as dirt (35) So recovery is fairly important. And so far it's been 32 hours a week not 20.

When i say diligent about protein I mean I probably wasn't getting enough not that I quit eating it.

And I quit lifting because I didn't know what the job would entail. Now that I do I'm comfortable resuming lifting 2 our maybe 3 times a week.

1) i just don't see how I'll be able to gain mass when I'm literally averaging 10 miles of walking a day and I'm an ectomorph to begin with.

2) it's spring and cutting season anyway

3) I'm already over 15% bodyfat so lyle suggests cutting

I feel like if I just cut down to 150 lbs then the stuff I lift at work will feel heavy and I'll get a good workout from lifting them. So I'm looking for the best advice to cut in this scenario since the 2 diets I've used in the past are rapid fat loss and UD 2.0 both of which are clearly terrible in this case.

I think holly is in the right ballpark of setting calories to sedentary maintenance then burning stored bodyfat via activity

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 04-03-2017 at 11:31 PM. Reason: A
Unread 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM

Try a deficit of 500kc a day.

Low carb if that helps you focus.

Moderate carb if that makes you feel better.

Plenty of protein.

Lift twice a week.
Unread 04-13-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjr74 View Post
This...not trying to sound like a badass or anything but when I was deployed in the military a few years ago I worked construction 12 hours a day and lifted afterwards 4x a week. Your work capacity will build and you'll be able to eat whatever the hell you want as well.

Respect! ^ if this guy can do it you should be able to fit in 30min-1hr of lifting 2-3x wk.

I work 10hr shifts walking avg of 8-12mi a day plus lots of overhead work (drilling, 90ft lb hand torques) and I'm doing RFL. Not to sound rude but it seems like you're making excuses.
Unread 04-16-2017, 10:14 PM

Definitely not. You'd been hard pressed to find someone who is as dedicated as I have been since jan 1.

I walk 6 miles to the gym and back EVERY day for the first two months and lately i walk 5 miles to work as well.

I'm trying to get in shape for the summer though and I'm not sure this is great advice.

I don't understand why I'd want my work capacity to improve when I'm relatively small? That will just make it harder to gain muscle mass later, correct?

And being able tp "eat whatever I want" certainly isn't a goal of mine. That's just more time away from the books cooking and cleaning.

So far the results have been interesting. I feel like I'm getting stronger and there is no way I'm not shedding fat given the somewhat large deficit I'm working in.

Like lyle mentions though due to my horrible calorie partitioning my gut is growing quickly with this high fat diet while the rest of my body leans put significantly

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 04-16-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Unread 04-17-2017, 06:27 AM

Improved work capacity does not necessarily equate to it being harder to gain muscle. Work capacity is a lot of things, including endurance and etc. What would mostly impact how hard it is to gain muscle would be actually gaining muscle.