BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Administrator

2 more borking weeks
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:42 AM

What Lyle said.
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Selection of carbohydrate sources:

As in the Health & Fitness Concept I first and foremost recommend fruits and berries, but you can and should use higher energy density like rice / rice cakes, potatoes and oats to get enough carbohydrates.

Wheat Products should be limited or avoided entirely, but I allow some types of bread made from fermented or sprouted grains – a process that breaks down and makes the protein structures more easily digestible. Ezekielbrød is baked in such a method and can be purchased at Helios and Life Healthcare, or can be ordered from http://www.dengodebaker.no/ This bread is very popular with the fitness community in the United States.
So, this wheat thing, is it just a hunger stopping issue, or is there something I am missing?

Awesome post by the way.
Unread 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miknal View Post
So, this wheat thing, is it just a hunger stopping issue, or is there something I am missing?

Awesome post by the way.
Nigel had a summary post of the blogs that he follows and the posts that address the topic of wheat. It's quite a long list!

Of course, that doesn't mean that it's legitimate, but it obviously shows that some people have a thing against wheat. Anecdotally speaking, some people (especially the paleo guys) seem to show improved function without wheat. Personally, I know that mega-doses (like 300g at a time) of cereals (acutely) somehow causes me to get more acne.

I'm alright with lower doses (<90g), but of course, you always question whether you could be doing things better.

I choose the philosophy of staying safe whenever possible. In this case, I choose the options that are likely to be anti-inflammatory (fruits and some starchy carbs like potatoes), instead of that which could possibly be (wheat).

So that's a roundabout answer, littered with personal value-judgments, that says: Yes, there's some complication around wheat (like any other food).
Unread 01-05-2011, 06:35 AM

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showt...eat#post105359
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Darn i thought we were gona get the book =P

Or maybe get to play around with new blotches of paint
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Interesting, how long would you normally recommend this trial period be? Are we talking a week or a month?
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Give it 3-4 weeks and see if you notice any difference. Then reintroduce grains/oatmeal or whatever. This is the point where many will go from "don't feel any different" to "woah, I'm soo sleepy and feel so bloated". Note that some of it is just your body having to upregulate various enzymes (the bloating) and especially so if you didn't replace the grains with other carb sources.
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:24 PM

how can I get enough carbs without grains?
this seems hard to me
Unread 01-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenca333 View Post
how can I get enough carbs without grains?
this seems hard to me
"Harder" for sure, but doable indeed.

As per the Health and Fitness concept, there are fruits, and don't forget fresh fruit juice, which make for a nice PostWO drink.

On the starchy carb side, and if you're really serious about completely cutting out grains as an experiment, then you've got stuff like potatoes, legumes (beans), sweet potatoes, rice (non-polished and non-hulled if possible), and all the exotic (expensive, at least here in Australia) stuff like Quinoa, buckwheat, etc.

Budget considerations come into play of course, and while stuff like potatoes should be dirt cheap in most places, processed foods, many of which derived from wheat and corn are definitely the cheapest option. This one deserves a different discussion.

But back to the topic, there's endless possibilities of course. I like me some buttery baked/fried potatoes every so often, and stuff like pumpkin puree on sweet potatoes is basically like dessert.

If you really need to down 5,000 calories, you could something some sweet potatoes and peanut butter, or rice-cakes and nutella for some easy cals.

And of course, maybe for the purposes for an experiment without grains, you can be super strict, but it doesn't have to be that way in real life. 300kcal of kiddy cereal in a 3000kcal diet isn't really going to harm you (YMMV)