BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-11-2018, 02:08 PM

Default Pulling movements for Forearm RSI

Hey all.
I have developed RSI in my Forearm, I think it's from playing guitar with bad form, i'm not sure. Anyway this has coincided with a start up lifting routine after having quite a break. Pretty Basic routine really. Squats, overhead presses, pushup variations and some sort of pulling movement.
Of the pulling movements I have tried, they all involve a good deal of grip strength and aggravate the RSI (Pullups, chinups, bent over rows, upright rows, dumbbell rows).
Is there any pulling movements that don't activate the forearm so much? Should I try Straps?
Or should I forgo the pulls altogether until I'm healed?
Unread 02-22-2018, 12:00 AM

Its quite hard to give a definitive answer but if holding the grip is what causes issues I would not aggrevate the injury any further and would avoid anything that involves gripping the bar. Guitar playing can actually cause pretty bad inflammation of the tendons that have later required medical operations.

If the issue is related to the forearm muscles being overworked some pulling excercises might work with limited range of motion.
Straight arm pulldown is one exercise for the lats that doesn't require much grip strength. That has worked for me and chest supported barbell row seems to be more easy on the forearms due to the limited range of motion.
Those two have worked for me when I've had forearm pain.

If you feel forearm pain in those exercises then its better just skip the pulling movements. Do more legs instead
Unread 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM

Get a racketball and beat the hell out of your brachioradialis tendon leaning against a wall.

I know when I have forearm issues it's easier to execute pulling movements with more of an underhand grip vs. neutral.