BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Unread 04-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Default The Leangains Guide

I wrote a guide about intermittent fasting and the Leangains approach. It includes sample setups and some key points to consider when designing a diet.

The Leangains Guide

Since IF-related questions pop up quite frequently, I believe it might be of use.
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Thumbs up

Read, bookmarked, started.
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks Martin. Nice to have all that in one place.
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:49 PM

That is going to be very helpful for anyone new to IF wanting to get info all in one place, thanks for the effort.
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:53 PM

gracias!
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks from me, too. Good read.
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work View Post
I wrote a guide about intermittent fasting and the Leangains approach. It includes sample setups and some key points to consider when designing a diet.

The Leangains Guide

Since IF-related questions pop up quite frequently, I believe it might be of use.

I just finished reading it and loveeeedddd it!!

I have a question that I'm confused with and hoping someone can answer.

In his article about stubborn fat strategies he states this:

Increase your activity level in the fasted state. Add cardio or whatever else to get your energy expenditure up. A personal favorite of mine is lower intensity and longer duration activities like walking in the 12-16 hour time interval of the fast. Not only is this the "golden age" of subcutaneous fat oxidation, but lower intensity activities selectively use fatty acids to fuel the activity.

My question is this....
In regards to his Early Morning fasted training protocol he has his last meal the night before between 8-9pm and then the early morning training at 6-7am. That would mean activity in the 10-12hrs of fasting, NOT the 12-16 that he recommends above.

I usually workout first thing in the morning so should I wait until later to workout??

Anyone? Please and Thank-youuu!
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Your training session with weights is not the longer duration lower intensity activity that Martin was referring to. The 6-7 AM time was just an example. If you are doing fasted weight training, you bracket w. BCAA's whenever you do it.
The activity in the (would be 12-14 hrs as the recommended fast for females is 14 hrs) "golden age" would be moderate to low intensity cardio-ish stuff.
You could do your weight training and follow it with low intensity cardio, or train with weights and then go for a walk in the period right before you break your fast.
Unread 08-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Yes ErinFL, I know he was referring to low intensity cardio stuff, that's what I was talking about too!
My question is in regards to the TIME that one does it....he recommends to do it between the 12-16 hrs of fasting however; if the example he gives is only about 10hrs and since I also workout in the morning I will also only be in the 10-12hr. mark, so should I wait till later to do it or ???
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinFL View Post
Your training session with weights is not the longer duration lower intensity activity that Martin was referring to. The 6-7 AM time was just an example. If you are doing fasted weight training, you bracket w. BCAA's whenever you do it.
The activity in the (would be 12-14 hrs as the recommended fast for females is 14 hrs) "golden age" would be moderate to low intensity cardio-ish stuff.
You could do your weight training and follow it with low intensity cardio, or train with weights and then go for a walk in the period right before you break your fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
Yes ErinFL, I know he was referring to low intensity cardio stuff, that's what I was talking about too!
My question is in regards to the TIME that one does it....he recommends to do it between the 12-16 hrs of fasting however; if the example he gives is only about 10hrs and since I also workout in the morning I will also only be in the 10-12hr. mark, so should I wait till later to do it or ???
Bolded. You can wait to do your weight training, or train with weights earlier and then do cardio. Doesn't matter. The idea is to have activity.