BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miknal View Post
If pure muscle gain was the goal, would it be quicker to,

A. Stay at the same body fat percentage and gain muscle (people seem to be able to drop fat and gain muscle doing IF, and this is not even dropping fat).

B. Bulk between 10%-15%, and then cut (given that about a third of the time will be spent cutting, and obviously not gaining).
for most people, B. although it doesn't have to be 10-15. could be 8-12 or something like that. it depends on how advanced you are, your fat acceptance levels, how lean you 'naturally' are etc.

alot of people seem to believe that you either have to chose a 'leangains' approach or have to bulk like a pig. which definately is not the case.

best approach for most people will be to use periods (6 weeks to months) of mass gaining and allow some fat gain and then do short(er) periods of dieting.

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 07-22-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:22 AM

hi guys, i was searching info about leangains approach anc i've discovered this great forum

i'm strongly convinced to start this new way of dieting, but i'm a bit confused about some points

I've read the different setup/pattern that Martin suggests, but it's hard form me to fit one of them to my habits.

Martin wrote: When working with clients I am always open to compromising on the above rule. If your preference is to eat a larger meal in the evening instead of noon, or whenever you break the fast, it's no great harm. Some people prefer to save the largest meal on rest days for dinner with their family instead of having a large lunch and that's fine by me if it makes them enjoy and adhere to their diet better.

That's my case
So, if i workout in lunchtime, is it correct mantain an approach like this?

10am: 10gr bcaa
1am: 10gr bcaa
2am (post w/out): 40gr whey
7am to 10am: feeding (2meals, 70% and 30% of my daily intake).

What do you think?

Many thanks!

PS: Martin, do you offer online/mail consultancy also?
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Just a quick question for Martin and others who can answer: At your pics you seem to be about 5-6% bodyfat and I remember reading that you have been estimated to 5,5%. And that you have maintained that level of leanes for more then 2 years?

Does did require good genes? Can most people be comfortabel at 5,5%?
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:22 AM

Martins genes

Maintaining low bodyfat

Seriously, just read his site. He pretty much covers any questions you may have.
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:48 AM

I have read the first article before. But I dont think that or the other really answers my question. I dont see the connection between a tendency to overeat and not having the ability to stay at a very low bf%. Or the oposite. It is possible to get down to 3% but is it really possible to stay at 3%? Do you have enough bodyfat to stay healthy, is the hormons gona adjust at that low level etc. I just wonder where the limits go, and I think I read on the mainsite that most people could be comfortabel at 8%.
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Ok, I'm going to give it a shot.

I think I've got it worked out.

High carb, high protein, low-moderate fat on training days. 500-700cal surplus.
Low-moderate carb, high protein, moderate-high fat on rest days. 500cal deficit.

1-2pm - Meal one
3:30pm - Workout
5:30pm - Meal two
9-10pm - Meal three

I just have a few of questions.

1. As it is during the rest/recovery period that muscle is actually being built. Why consume the surplus on training days and not on rest days? Considering the actual workout might only burn about 200cals at most.

2. Is it suitable to do Lyle's Generic Bulk (3 days/week) whilst IFing LeanGains style? Just from what I've read it would appear less volume might be more conducive to achieving body recomp (fat loss, maintain, or increase if possible, LBM and strength).

3. Considering I am having one meal pre workout, is it necessary to consume and BCAAs?

Thanks.
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:37 AM

1. Its like that to place the majority of kcals after the workout to take advantage of any partitioning benefits. Protein synthesis does start shortly after the workout.
Also the first meal of the day after training is recommended to be the biggest for this reason (since protein synthesis is still elevated at 24hrs)

2. Yep, although you might want to start out at the lower end of the volume rec's and adjust up if you're handling that fine.

3. If you have a meal before then there's no need for the BCAA's. They're part of a slightly different setup aimed at getting even more of the kcals taken post-wo.
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikku View Post
1. Its like that to place the majority of kcals after the workout to take advantage of any partitioning benefits. Protein synthesis does start shortly after the workout.
Also the first meal of the day after training is recommended to be the biggest for this reason (since protein synthesis is still elevated at 24hrs)

2. Yep, although you might want to start out at the lower end of the volume rec's and adjust up if you're handling that fine.

3. If you have a meal before then there's no need for the BCAA's. They're part of a slightly different setup aimed at getting even more of the kcals taken post-wo.
Sweet. Thanks for the swift reply. I'm going to start this tomorrow.
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work View Post
I wrote a guide about intermittent fasting and the Leangains approach. It includes sample setups and some key points to consider when designing a diet.

The Leangains Guide

Since IF-related questions pop up quite frequently, I believe it might be of use.

I just finished reading it and loveeeedddd it!!

I have a question that I'm confused with and hoping someone can answer.

In his article about stubborn fat strategies he states this:

Increase your activity level in the fasted state. Add cardio or whatever else to get your energy expenditure up. A personal favorite of mine is lower intensity and longer duration activities like walking in the 12-16 hour time interval of the fast. Not only is this the "golden age" of subcutaneous fat oxidation, but lower intensity activities selectively use fatty acids to fuel the activity.

My question is this....
In regards to his Early Morning fasted training protocol he has his last meal the night before between 8-9pm and then the early morning training at 6-7am. That would mean activity in the 10-12hrs of fasting, NOT the 12-16 that he recommends above.

I usually workout first thing in the morning so should I wait until later to workout??

Anyone? Please and Thank-youuu!
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Your training session with weights is not the longer duration lower intensity activity that Martin was referring to. The 6-7 AM time was just an example. If you are doing fasted weight training, you bracket w. BCAA's whenever you do it.
The activity in the (would be 12-14 hrs as the recommended fast for females is 14 hrs) "golden age" would be moderate to low intensity cardio-ish stuff.
You could do your weight training and follow it with low intensity cardio, or train with weights and then go for a walk in the period right before you break your fast.