BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM

wait a second i feel dumb now, i thought you were thinking of doing HIIT while in a caloric deficit.

I wasn't trying to say ALL cardio was bad, just maybe not the best thing to do.

Either way I'm done making a jackass of myself haha.

Besides everyone's different anyway, what works for some might not for others and vice versa. No one, can ever tell you what is best for you, they can only give suggestions.

Good luck man

My RFL Log: Completed 6/18/11 (162lbs.-149lbs.)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=10952
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:30 AM

I'm training 2x a week doing mainly compound exercises, probably the case with one of the posters here?

That would mean 2 days of 20% calorie surplus corresponding to the workout days and 5 days of calorie deficit under 20% of maintenance levels.

However, that's just too hard on my body, and I end up losing a bit too much weight and I get weak and tired all the time.

Instead, what I do is train Tuesdays and Fridays. 20% calories surplus on these days. Let's start with Tuesday. Workout day, 20%calories surplus, all fine. Then, Wednesday and Thursday I run on -20% deficit, and my body/mind can support that although I get a bit too weak. Friday comes, and it's workout/feast day with 20% calorie surplus. Then Saturday I "usually", I mean usually stay in a deficit, and then Sunday I tend to eat as much as I am comfortable with, without being paranoid on my ratios, and then Sunday is more or less maintenance level or maybe a bit above.

So, out of the 7 days of the week, two are workout days and 20% calorie surplus, and 2-3 days are deficit -20%calories. The other 2-3 are either at maintenance or above maintenance.

I find that I would get too weak, tired, obsessed and paranoid if I had to run all 5 days of the week on -20% deficit.

And then there's another possible issue. Let's suppose your maintenance level, for ease of calculation, is 2000 calories. 20% of 2000 is 400 calories. This means you're either at 2400 calories on workout days, or 1600 calories on non workout days. Ok. Now here's the "issue": do you count walking, as the recommended cardio, and subtract/add it to your 1600 calorie days? For example, if you log your food and you're at the precise 1600 calories for that day, and you walked for 40 minutes, with, say, 150 calories lost from that, would you eat an additional 150 calories, making the total 1750 calories for the day? If you don't, then wouldn't we be even more deficit based? In this case it would be 1450. Maybe that's why I'm tired and weak and I can't follow through more than 2 days on a -20% calorie restriction.

I am however 6'1'' and 155 pounds. Maybe I shouldn't lose any more weight.
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewski View Post
wait a second i feel dumb now, i thought you were thinking of doing HIIT while in a caloric deficit.

I wasn't trying to say ALL cardio was bad, just maybe not the best thing to do.

Either way I'm done making a jackass of myself haha.

Besides everyone's different anyway, what works for some might not for others and vice versa. No one, can ever tell you what is best for you, they can only give suggestions.

Good luck man
No worries zewski. I appreciate different viewpoints

I did indicate interest in short-duration higher-intensity cardio (20 mins tempo type run). Probably in the 70-80% MHR range. That's probably where you got it.

Once my toe is back to it's normal shape I may try that. However, I have not noticed a surplus of energy on this deficit, even on big eating days, so I may not actually have the will to do it. The main thing is the diet and weights, and basically every thing else plays second fiddle
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Martin isn't a big fan of heavy cardio as was said in this thread. He recommends walking if you want to do cardio.

In either case what matters are your results and if you're happy with what you're doing.

Just to add something to my post, I forgot to add that Sunday I usually eat a lot and Monday (didn't mention Monday in my post), I'm either at maintenance or a bit above it.

If I'm not doing these things already, I'll start doing and planning them because I'm getting a little bit too skinny at 6'1'' and 155 pounds. Getting 2 calorie surplus days, 2 calorie deficit days, 2 maintenance and another 1 surplus (Sunday, non workout) will probably make me gain some healthy weight.
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyriao View Post
Now here's the "issue": do you count walking, as the recommended cardio, and subtract/add it to your 1600 calorie days?
I always end up thinking like that, and then remember that (my) daily calories expenditure is calculated with a multiplier based on how much active i am, so the cardio is already somewhat counted.
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureisNow View Post
No worries zewski. I appreciate different viewpoints

I did indicate interest in short-duration higher-intensity cardio (20 mins tempo type run). Probably in the 70-80% MHR range. That's probably where you got it.

Once my toe is back to it's normal shape I may try that. However, I have not noticed a surplus of energy on this deficit, even on big eating days, so I may not actually have the will to do it. The main thing is the diet and weights, and basically every thing else plays second fiddle
Nice! glad to help in anyway i can You have a log/thinking of starting one?

My RFL Log: Completed 6/18/11 (162lbs.-149lbs.)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=10952
Unread 06-04-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdap View Post
I always end up thinking like that, and then remember that (my) daily calories expenditure is calculated with a multiplier based on how much active i am, so the cardio is already somewhat counted.
In the guide, the multiplier is 13-14. Is that the one you're using? I used my bodyweight times 13:

155 x 13 = 2015, so 2000 calories to round it up.

20 % of 2000 is 400 calories. So +20% calorie surplus or -20 calorie deficit days are 2400 and 1600 accordingly.

I may have to stop doing this as I've lost 1-2 kgs since last week since following this approach and I'm already a bit too light for my weight and starting to be tired and a bit weak.
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewski View Post
Nice! glad to help in anyway i can You have a log/thinking of starting one?
Thanks cheers! No log at this time. I'm using fitday.com to to record my foods and log my activities, so that's more than enough daily typing for me
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
In the guide, the multiplier is 13-14. Is that the one you're using?
No, a mayoclinic online calculator:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am however 6'1'' and 155 pounds. Maybe I shouldn't lose any more weight.
Unless your in some weight specific sport think you probably could safely add muscle.

If you are looking for abs and don't see them now you don't have any.
Closed Thread