BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Default amount of protein

Tired of reading contradictoring info: can my body digest and use 50 g of protien at one sitting? I'm 6' 200 lbs and have about 10% body fat. I don't eat that often so I need to have a lot of protein at one time and I wan't to make sure this is ok...Thanks...
Unread 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator

it depends on what you mean by 'use'. but there is no limit to digestion/absorption. larger amounts jsut take longer to digest
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to akwaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
it depends on what you mean by 'use'. but there is no limit to digestion/absorption. larger amounts jsut take longer to digest
Would this not be affected by how often you eat? Obviously this guy wouldn't have a problem since he doesn't eat very often, but at maintenance I need 300g of protein in a day, and if i eat 60g a meal 5 times a day, would my body not force some of the protein through the digestive tract in order to process the new incoming protein? I guess what I'm asking is, is could meal frequency a limiting factor in this?
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

that's not how digestion works
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info...There is so much bs and contradictory info out there...And, there is no way I can get all the protein I need if I can't consume at least 50 or more g of protien at a sitting....
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
that's not how digestion works
Perhaps I'm oversimplifying it then. I was under the impression that at least the majority of protein breakdown occurred in the stomach. Incorrect?
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Administrator

"would my body not force some of the protein through the digestive tract in order to process the new incoming protein?"

is not how digestion works.
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
"would my body not force some of the protein through the digestive tract in order to process the new incoming protein?"

is not how digestion works.
I guess in that case I wouldn't really be talking about digestion, I'd be talking about the body's response to gross overfeeding. Obviously at 260 lbs, my body can handle 300g of protein no problem. So basically, the notion that there's an upper limit to the amount of protein the body can process and uptake in a single sitting is bogus because "single sitting" doesn't adequately cover the entirety of the processes occurring within digestion.
Unread 11-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Administrator

define 'single' sitting for me

the problem with the whole idea of 'you can only use XXX protein per meal' is that 'a meal' is never defined. and, as notd in other threads, bodybuidlers tend to think that digestion happens a lot faster than it does

maximum rates of protein digestion may be about 10 g/hour (this is tough to get an accurate value for). 60 grams protein takes 6 hours to digest and you're pretty mcuh always overlapping meals with any decent meal frequency
Unread 11-22-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
define 'single' sitting for me

the problem with the whole idea of 'you can only use XXX protein per meal' is that 'a meal' is never defined. and, as notd in other threads, bodybuidlers tend to think that digestion happens a lot faster than it does

maximum rates of protein digestion may be about 10 g/hour (this is tough to get an accurate value for). 60 grams protein takes 6 hours to digest and you're pretty mcuh always overlapping meals with any decent meal frequency
A single sitting for me (1 "meal") would be 60g protein, 60g carbs, 15g fat.