BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-21-2014, 03:40 PM

Default Tricking a Fitbit

Time for me to ask one of the stupid questions.

So work bought us all Fitbits for an employee fitness competition the next 4 weeks. For those unfamiliar Fitbits basically just track how many steps you take in a day. We're divided up onto teams to see which one can get the most steps and mine has a director and VP I need to stay in the good graces with to be lined up for a promotion this year. Of course they're straight men that take any sort of competition super serious. Daily emails, setting step goals for everyone on the team, etc. So I can't just say screw it and ignore the competition.

Bad news for me is I just started my bulk (and cycle) to get ready for next seasons competitions and don't really have the next month to waste doing 2 hours of walking a day on top of my weight workouts to get my step goals in.

Anyone had any experience tricking a fit bit into thinking you're doing more than you are? I don't have a dog I could just tie it to, or kids to stick it on. The only thing I've found is waving it around makes it think I'm walking, but that gets annoying after 30 seconds and is only good for 10-20 steps.
Unread 09-21-2014, 05:16 PM

Just fake an injury, for goodness sake.

OR switch the damn device with another one, and put the work one on somebody else who you can rely on meeting your activity quota.
Unread 09-21-2014, 05:45 PM

Tie it to a metronome
Unread 09-21-2014, 07:08 PM

Metronome trick would be cool. Do you have a stand mixer? Perhaps attaching it to that and turning the mixer on would register as movement...?
Unread 09-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
Time for me to ask one of the stupid questions.

So work bought us all Fitbits for an employee fitness competition the next 4 weeks. For those unfamiliar Fitbits basically just track how many steps you take in a day. We're divided up onto teams to see which one can get the most steps and mine has a director and VP I need to stay in the good graces with to be lined up for a promotion this year. Of course they're straight men that take any sort of competition super serious. Daily emails, setting step goals for everyone on the team, etc. So I can't just say screw it and ignore the competition.

Bad news for me is I just started my bulk (and cycle) to get ready for next seasons competitions and don't really have the next month to waste doing 2 hours of walking a day on top of my weight workouts to get my step goals in.

Anyone had any experience tricking a fit bit into thinking you're doing more than you are? I don't have a dog I could just tie it to, or kids to stick it on. The only thing I've found is waving it around makes it think I'm walking, but that gets annoying after 30 seconds and is only good for 10-20 steps.
This is pathetic.
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Is being a high-stepping team player more important or less important than your current bulk to your overall quality of life? How would postponing your bulk ruin everything and throw you into a chasm of nothingness?

"I knew you before you knew you had hands" ~Tracey Brogan
Unread 09-22-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thombrogan View Post
Is being a high-stepping team player more important or less important than your current bulk to your overall quality of life? How would postponing your bulk ruin everything and throw you into a chasm of nothingness?
But also, how would walking around a bit ruin the bulk in the first place? Eat more, dammit.
Unread 09-22-2014, 03:21 PM

If it helps, saw this posted on FB today

Quote:
"For those who have a fitbit, or any pedometer thing.. FYI, one standard wash cycle, on synthetics, at 30 degrees is 8000 steps."

Some useful data just posted by one of my friends.
Unread 09-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Ruxin won a bet on "the league" by wearing it while masturbating. I doubt that works in real life though.
Unread 09-23-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
But also, how would walking around a bit ruin the bulk in the first place? Eat more, dammit.
Yes, you should do this.

I've been wearing a Fitbit for years now. You'd have to walk ALOT more to add enough calories to your day that it would be difficult to compensate with food. What are your step goals? And what do you think you normally do on a daily basis?

Most of these work programs set a goal of 10K steps per day. Even if you're at a desk job, you probably get 3000 to 5000 steps in a day. Another 5 to 7K steps is only ~2 - 3 more miles per day. You can easily compensate for that by eating a few hundred more calories, have a bagel or something. This contest at work shouldn't sabotage your bulking goals, if anything it will give you some flexibility to eat more.

It's not like they're asking you to add daily sprint intervals to your routine. It's just walking.