BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-05-2011, 07:46 AM

Default Wild Planet canned tuna

Not a recipe, but a new (to me) brand of canned tuna that I think is exceptionally tasty: Wild Planet Albacore Tuna.

Whereas most brands pack pre-cooked tuna in either oil or water, and then cook the tuna again as part of the canning process, Wild Planet packs their cans with raw tuna and a little salt, and then cooks the can with no added liquid. And unlike other brands where you'd normally drain away the nasty water, the small amount liquid in a Wild Planet can is a very delicious sort of concentrated fish stock--don't waste it. Texture and flavor and aroma are just miles beyond any other brand of canned tuna I've tried (not including oil-packed ventresca tuna which is great, but extremely expensive and probably wouldn't be the first thing you'd go for if you were dieting.)

It's more expensive ($3.29 for 5 oz in Manhattan) but each can contains a bit more meat than most. According to the label, a single 5 oz can has 140g of tuna, 300 calories, 40 g protein, 3460mg Omega 3. Hardly a bargain, but as someone who used to choke down cans of dry tuna in order to hit my macros, it's nice to find a brand that I actually enjoy eating.

Oh and its sustainably caught and dolphin/turtle/spotted owl safe.

OK a quick recipe based on something that Thai people commonly do with sardines packed in tomato sauce:

1 can of tuna
1 tomato, chopped
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 Thai chilli or other hot pepper, minced
juice of half a lime
1 tbs fish sauce
a small bunch of cilantro, chopped

Combine everything. Adjust chilli content to your heat tolerance. Add more fish sauce or lime to your taste. It's very nice over rice, but good on its own, or scooped up with romaine lettuce leaves if you're avoiding carbs.