BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Default For Sashimi Lovers (raw tuna)

Not really a recipe, but a tip to save some $$ for easy to prepare and tasty protein.

Per Livestrong 6 ounces of raw yellowfin tuna has 187 calories, 0 Carbs, 1.8 grams of fat and 40 grams of protein (works for me!).

If you have a local Japanese market that supplies fresh raw tuna to sushi restaurants, it can be $20.00 a pound, but here's a trick, they trim the tuna into tight rectangles for the sushi chefs to use and the scrap is set aside and sold for a lot less, in my case it's only $6.00 a pound and tastes every bit as good & fresh as the pretty cuts. (if you're in Dallas, go to Kazys)

Here's a picture of tuna available at a local restaurant that uses these cuts to offer tuna at lower prices with all the freshness and taste of the special cuts used by sushi chefs.

I just eat it raw and dip it in a mixture of soy sauce, mirin, fresh diced ginger and rice vinegar and then I add a dash of wasabi on each bite. You can buy the prepared wasabi at the Japanese market as well, but if you've never had it, be careful not to eat too much at a time or your head might explode. A tiny amount packs a lot of punch.

If you like the seaweed wraps on sushi rolls, I suspect they won't blow any of the diets and the tuna could be rolled inside with slices of cucmber, pickled ginger and any other veges that work on the diet you're following (and sushi rice on refeeds).

Bon Appetite!

Last edited by yimyammer : 04-20-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:25 AM

I love raw tuna.

as is.

I see no need to kill the flavour with addons like seaweed, ginger or anything else that gets between me and my ahi tuna
4. Use google as well - Add "site:lylemcdonald.com". Google can find those short strings of letters.
5. You are not a rodent so follow up with pubmed (http://pubmed.org) use "+human" "-rat" "-mouse" modifiers
6. Check the STICKY threads.
7. use google to find all my posts.
8. Supplement evidence
9. Private message are cheerfully ignored.
Unread 04-22-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles.Buckley View Post
I love raw tuna.

as is.

I see no need to kill the flavour with addons like seaweed, ginger or anything else that gets between me and my ahi tuna
Gotta ask this... What about the mercury issue that's especially high in Ahi - do you know of any ways to counteract this via supplementation, etc.? I love raw ahi tuna especially prepared in the form of Poke (Hawaiian style).
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Well, I wasn't hungry when I came to the boards.... =)

I like my tuna with just a tiny bit of soy sauce. I don't need much else, well, maybe some large-chunky salt to enhance the tunaness...
Unread 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_67 View Post
Gotta ask this... What about the mercury issue that's especially high in Ahi - do you know of any ways to counteract this via supplementation, etc.? I love raw ahi tuna especially prepared in the form of Poke (Hawaiian style).
I just don't eat it very often. Nor do I eat very much. Somewhat sadly of course.
Unread 04-24-2011, 03:18 PM

hirame (halibut) is very low in mercury, so try eating that too. very yummy.