BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Default Protein Absorption: Fasted State

Lyle mentions in his article
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...on-part-3.html
that protein absorption is at a max rate of approx 10g/hr in certain foods.

My question is that there are certain supplements out there work best in a fasted state or empty stomach. If this is the case and you were to have a high protein meal, let's containing 100g protein of chicken, would it take 10 hrs for you to be considered in a fasted state or am I missing the whole concept here? I have wondered sometimes that if I had a high protein meal before bedtime would I be in a fasted state after 6 - 8 hours of sleep? I have really tried to find this in the articles and in forums with no luck.
Unread 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter98 View Post
I have wondered sometimes that if I had a high protein meal before bedtime would I be in a fasted state after 6 - 8 hours of sleep? I have really tried to find this in the articles and in forums with no luck.
I guess it depends what you mean by 'fasted state'. Just based on what I've read lately about using yohimbine with fasted cardio, I'd say yes you're in a "fasted" state. Otherwise I'm sure he'd advise people to avoid large meals before bed if they planned to use yohimbine the next morning.

Honestly though I have no idea what the technical definition of 'fasted state' is.
Unread 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderbe View Post
I guess it depends what you mean by 'fasted state'. Just based on what I've read lately about using yohimbine with fasted cardio, I'd say yes you're in a "fasted" state. Otherwise I'm sure he'd advise people to avoid large meals before bed if they planned to use yohimbine the next morning.

Honestly though I have no idea what the technical definition of 'fasted state' is.
Interesting topic I would think?? What constitutes a fasted state? This would also raise the question of what type of meals to avoid in this case. Most of the PRWO supplements that I have seen lately strongly suggest taking on an "empty stomach". I hope this hasn't already been addressed in an article or forum on here, I have made enough of those mistakes here lately.
Unread 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Administrator

The only time you will be fasted will be when you wake up overnight after some number of hours depending on what you ate. There is no other fasted state time b/c the digestion speed of meals (discussed in the protein book) is simply too long.

And a better term is probably post-absorptive which is defined as the time when the body has finished digesting/assimilating the last thing you ate and has shifted/is shifting to using endogenous/stored energy. As opposed to the post-prandial state which is the time frame from the end of the meal to when you're done digesting it.
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:05 PM

I am sorry Lyle, but I am confused. Are you saying that the only time that the principles of digestion (e.g. 10g/lb for pork) as I brought up initially in this post, only applies during the time when we are awake. Please excuse my ignorance here.
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Administrator

No, you asekd what 'fasted state' meant for supplements and I answered you.

But outside of the first meal of the day, you will almost always be overlapping meals due to long digestion. So the only time you have an 'empty stomach' is at that one time point (first thing in the morning after the last day's meal is done digesting).
Unread 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM

I understand I believe. Regarding supplements, "fasted" means first thing in the morning, after awakening? However, depending how long it had been since your last meal, the number of hours you slept, and the amount of protein (for example) that you may have had, you could still be digesting, is this correct?
I'm not trying to "beat a dead horse" here, just trying to understand. Thanks for your patience.
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
My question is that there are certain supplements out there work best in a fasted state or empty stomach. If this is the case and you were to have a high protein meal, let's containing 100g protein of chicken, would it take 10 hrs for you to be considered in a fasted state or am I missing the whole concept here? I have wondered sometimes that if I had a high protein meal before bedtime would I be in a fasted state after 6 - 8 hours of sleep? I have really tried to find this in the articles and in forums with no luck.
I have the same question. Mainly because I've been having a casein protein shake before bed and then doing fasted cardio (supplemented with yohimbine hcl) about 7 hours later upon waking. I wonder if the casein is actually digested by then. Perhaps I should have the shake a few hours earlier just to be safe.
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I also have this question. Mainly because I have a casein protein shake before bed and then do fasted cardio (supplemented with yohimbine hcl) about 7 hours later upon waking. I wonder if the casein is digested by then. Perhaps I should have the shake a few hours earlier to be safe.
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Well, I listed a g/h value for casein in the book. So take how much casein your consuming and divide by that. is that value more or less than 7 hours? That's your answer.