BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-14-2017, 11:10 AM

Default how to increase bone density

I recently had a dexa scan performed at the local university. My bone density was 10% lower than target range.

The nutritionist said lifting and calcium can help increase bone density. I asked her what is the daily calcium req't and she couldn't tell me. She looked flustered and said something to the effect of calcium needs something, maybe probiotics, to transform it into something usable by the body. I am imagining an example like carb + insulin = energy entering cells? Anyway, she said to google it. I wonder what I had paid her for except to push buttons on her machine.

I imagine there have been many dexa scans performed by the posters here and some may have educated themselves on how to countermeasure a low bone density reading.

1. What is the daily calcium target?
2. Does calcium need something to make it usable by the body?
3. Is there something else I am missing?
Unread 05-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Not a very good nutritionist

For premenopausal women, the current recommendation is 1200 mg/day. Some thing that 1500 mg/day is more appropriate but since it will likely require supplementation,there is resistance to this. I find this a dumb argument: your body's nutritional requirements aren't determined by what you can realistically get with or without supplements.

There are other important nutirents, Vitamin D and a host of others.

This should be coupled with heavy resistance training and some type of jumping can help pre-menopausal women as well. Studies have found that 20 vertical jumps three times per week are sufficient.
Unread 05-14-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Not a very good nutritionist

For premenopausal women, the current recommendation is 1200 mg/day. Some thing that 1500 mg/day is more appropriate but since it will likely require supplementation,there is resistance to this. I find this a dumb argument: your body's nutritional requirements aren't determined by what you can realistically get with or without supplements.

There are other important nutirents, Vitamin D and a host of others.

This should be coupled with heavy resistance training and some type of jumping can help pre-menopausal women as well. Studies have found that 20 vertical jumps three times per week are sufficient.
Lyle, thank you for the reply.

I am a 40 y/o male who lifts. Beginner/intermediate bodybuilder, on a UD2.0 cut. I meet the lifting or jump req't.

I did a search from what you said and how it applies to me and it came up with Food and Nutrition Board recommendation of 'male, age 19–50 years, 1,000 mg'. If I applied your x1.25 factor that would take me to a req't of 1250mg/day. I am no good on this req't with my diet so I will need to countermeasure.

Doing same search for Vitamin D3 the FNB recommendation of 'male, 19–50 years, 600 IU, (15 mcg)'. A single multi vitamin is 700 IU. I take (x2)/day so I meet this req't.

I will modify my calcium intake and compare bone density in one year during my next regular spring cut.

Thanks.

Last edited by starscream : 05-14-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Unread 05-15-2017, 12:04 AM

https://greatist.com/health/build-healthy-strong-bones