BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-14-2017, 10:14 AM

Default Doing programed refeeds vs. personal feeling

Hi guys.
As I am finally getting into the category of BF% where refeeds are of value, I plan to start including these consistently as part of my diet.
I was wondering whether I should just include these pre-programed, that is on one or two days per week around weight training, or is it more reasonable to keep deficit days consistent and then do a refeed once you feel you need them (feeling depleted, sluggish, tired, and other pretty side effects of constantly eating in a caloric deficit).
What is your experience?
Thanks for the advice.
Unread 05-14-2017, 04:59 PM

I personally do 1 maintenance day per week with 400g of carbs (programmed), and I will occasionally throw in a second maintenance day with the same amount if I'm feeling very depleted mid-week. I do a pretty hefty deficit for my bf though, so I definitely need it. I really think it depends on how big your deficit is and how big your refeed will be. If you're doing -500 calories or less a day, you may only need a refeed every 2 weeks (or basically just by feel), but if you're trying to hit -800 or more daily, I feel refeeds become essential. All personal anecdote though.
Unread 05-14-2017, 07:40 PM

I have moved away from structured refeeds to as you need it approach. I let gym performance, sleep, and hunger dictate it. It has taken me a while to be able to listen to feedback from my body, wouldn't recommend it if you're just gonna take a refeed at first signs of cravings or a bad session.
Unread 05-15-2017, 03:32 AM

I would go with the programmed refeeds.

Its really hard to tell when you would actually need one and when you do feel it it might be a bit too late. Regular refeeds keep the stress levels in control and you can get the most out of your refeed while planning them ahead. Depending on the level of stress I might drop 0.5-1lbs of water weight right after refeed.

Some refeed protocols put you on a really low fat diet for refeed days (less than 20g per day) to make as much room for carbs as possible. This really limits the food choices and makes refeeds non-enjoyable.

I usually allow a bit more fat on refeed days about 0.4g/lbs. Carbs around 2g/lbs and protein 0.8-1.0g/lbs. Macros are not usually perfect when following a flexible diet but close enough to make the refeed count.

Too bad that the effect of refeeds doesn't last forever. After certain body fat level (for me that is aroud (8-9%) I feel fine only for few days and after that I'm extremely hungry all the time even if I'm full. I added 2 refeeds per week but that doesn't sidestep the effects of calorie deficit and low bodyfat.

Any advice from more experienced dieters how to setup refeeds/diet at sub 10% bodyfat?
Unread 05-15-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
I have moved away from structured refeeds to as you need it approach. I let gym performance, sleep, and hunger dictate it. It has taken me a while to be able to listen to feedback from my body, wouldn't recommend it if you're just gonna take a refeed at first signs of cravings or a bad session.
Well said.
Unread 05-15-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM View Post
I would go with the programmed refeeds.

Its really hard to tell when you would actually need one and when you do feel it it might be a bit too late. Regular refeeds keep the stress levels in control and you can get the most out of your refeed while planning them ahead. Depending on the level of stress I might drop 0.5-1lbs of water weight right after refeed.

Some refeed protocols put you on a really low fat diet for refeed days (less than 20g per day) to make as much room for carbs as possible. This really limits the food choices and makes refeeds non-enjoyable.

I usually allow a bit more fat on refeed days about 0.4g/lbs. Carbs around 2g/lbs and protein 0.8-1.0g/lbs. Macros are not usually perfect when following a flexible diet but close enough to make the refeed count.

Too bad that the effect of refeeds doesn't last forever. After certain body fat level (for me that is aroud (8-9%) I feel fine only for few days and after that I'm extremely hungry all the time even if I'm full. I added 2 refeeds per week but that doesn't sidestep the effects of calorie deficit and low bodyfat.

Any advice from more experienced dieters how to setup refeeds/diet at sub 10% bodyfat?
I'll take a stab although I am fairly new to being at a low bodyfat with a decent amount of lean mass... I'd say you almost need to go super low on fat(<20g) when doing a refeed at that low of a bf to reap the full physiological benefits of it. There is something to be said about keeping the fat a bit higher to allow some different food choices, but if your main issue is "feeling hungry even when full", I think the added carbs would help with that. If your main issue was psychological, then 1) The two refeeds per week are probably not necessary and 2) You could probably keep the fat a bit higher.

Another thing that I think is important about these refeed days: Obviously, you don't want to go too high on calories or you will ruin your weekly deficit, but you NEED to be at maintenance or greater if you want to actually refeed your body. I have fallen into the trap of saying "Okay, I'll eat at my maintenance calories but I'll also do 400-500 calories of cardio. That way I'll still hit my carb macros but I can keep a deficit going." Don't do that. Hit maintenance and refuel your body.

One thing I am curious to try and may implement in the future, however, is timing up my refeed days to fall on days I perform Lyle's stubborn fat protocol. For example, I may perform the SFP first in the morning, completely fasted (in my most depleted state, directly before the refeed) with my usual 15mg yohimbine/200mg caffeine. I may have a normal diet meal (high protein) after, but then try to hit my carb macros all in a ~5-8 hour window later in the day. Still trying to hit maintenance calories for the day, of course. My theory is that I would get the most benefit out of the SFP as well as additional glycogen depletion, meaning that the greatest amount of the carbs I am consuming would go directly to replenishment of my glycogen stores. I'm curious if anyone has done anything similar to this and if they felt it worked well.
Unread 05-17-2017, 01:02 AM

Right. here's my take.

I love beer, But my blessed hot sexy wife is AA. so whenever she's not home for the night due to work - I drink beers (She knows its fine with her). so yea, I refeed on beer. Not Ideal, completely unprogrammed, but Its Fun! and diets also needs to be fun or i'll Phail them at some point.

but if like two weeks had gone by and she didn't had a night out, I'll just refeed on some homemade chocolate cake my wife makes. Sooo im all out for the personal refeeds because its more fun. as long as its not out of control, as long as from week to week i'm getting leaner, no prob.

Edit: my deficit is fairly large, 25-30%'ish, lowcarb diet.
Unread 06-02-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkord View Post
Hi guys.
As I am finally getting into the category of BF% where refeeds are of value, I plan to start including these consistently as part of my diet.
I was wondering whether I should just include these pre-programed, that is on one or two days per week around weight training, or is it more reasonable to keep deficit days consistent and then do a refeed once you feel you need them (feeling depleted, sluggish, tired, and other pretty side effects of constantly eating in a caloric deficit).
What is your experience?
Thanks for the advice.

My experience is that longer and more controllable refeeds are way better than just doing a short 5 hour refeed amd im speaking physiological,

Im experiencing some nice changes wirh my extreme approach
(Ive dropped a few percentage ponts while maintaing most of my weight)

Im doing things the opposite what many of the current fitness gurus are saying you shouldnt do in regards to training and dieting so i want to see how things pan out in the next few months

Also i much prefer planned refeeds as you want to not only help raise leptin up (and other things)but to also prevent it from crashing beforehand which imo gets ignored many times

Last edited by MrSkinnyFat : 06-02-2017 at 10:22 AM.