BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Default How do you all create your deficits?

Just wondering how everyone goes about creating their deficits. I know Lyle said 50/50 diet/cardio seems to work pretty well for most guys, but I'm curious what everyone does. I have personally been liking performing an hour of low-medium intensity cardio recently but keeping the actual calories consumed higher. A lot more tolerable for me than only eating 1500 calories or less a day.
Unread 05-14-2017, 10:07 AM

Same here.
Mostly high activity - a lot of walking (basically whenever I can), tracking with a good Pedometer and making sure I hit a minimum of 15.000 steps per day, whereas I get up to 30.000 steps on some days.
I have personally found this to work much better than sole food restriction, especially as food is a highly social thing in my culture, and I hate to refuse the food my wife makes for dinner...
Unread 05-15-2017, 07:49 AM

My .02$ is do what works best for you.
Everyone is different, lives a different lifestyle, has different goals, different timelines, environments, etc. There's too many variables.
You sound like you have a good understanding of not going to the extremes on cardio vs calories. So just keep going with it.
Unread 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM

80-90% diet, anywhere from 0 to 800-1000 cals from LISS. I like massive deficit RFL style when fat (>12%), then about a 500-750 thru diet when under. High TDEE (~3200-3400) means I don't have to slash cals too low when single digits. I have tried doing lot of LISS, ERFL, etc, all it really does is make my hips and ankles funky and bore me.
Unread 05-16-2017, 05:56 AM

Neat
Unread 05-16-2017, 06:16 AM

I find it easier to eat less than to motivate myself to burn more.
Unread 05-16-2017, 07:26 AM

Depends on what I have going on with my life. I always prefer to eat more and burn more, but now for example i'm so busy I barely have enough time to do the basic maintenance strength training, so almost all my deficit is from diet right now.
Unread 05-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Probably my most successful run was a hefty dose of walking, some LISS 3 - 4 days/week, and then the rest from diet.

These days though, I don't know...it's a helluva lot easier to not eat a bagel then go for a 20 - 30 minute run, or a 1 hour walk.
Unread 05-17-2017, 12:54 AM

If I can than I do a lot of medium intensity endurance work (12-20 rep work, sprints, etc). it burns a nice bunch of calories and I find it easier and more time efficient than large quantities of cardio.

Thesedays though i barely find enough time to hit the minimum required strength training, and so i opted to increase the diet induced deficit by lowering carbs (use to have a nice bunch of carbs in my menu to support all the endurance work).
Unread 05-19-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellurium View Post
I find it easier to eat less than to motivate myself to burn more.
Agreed.

Also, estimates for how many calories activity actually burns are usually horribly overestimated.

I prefer to create my deficit through diet and then just do activity on top of that. Unless you are a long distance runner, you're not likely to do enough activity on top of the deficit to cause any issues.