BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
It sounds like he was basically just looking for a way to open a conversation where he got to prattle about how awesome he used to be (the 'Oh, back in the day I was X lbs and ripped and benched XXX and squatted YYYY and....'), why he's not anymore, etc. Not uncommon in the gym.
Everyone in my gym used to bench 350 until....
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Polite but dismissive is the way to go.
"That's nice" and then continue on with your set
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM

This was far beyond anything I had ever experienced in the gym, and I've been in gyms for the last 25 years. It was astonishing to me how this guy just kept talking to me and had literally no consideration for my time. I was squatting, not standing around at the water fountain. Actually now I'm kinda angry for not speaking up sooner.

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM

I think some people go to the gym just to have "chit-chat time". Indeed I run into old acquaintances all the time, but if I have earbuds blasting music I'm not bothered 90% of the time.
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM

The gym I go to seems to be the social hangout for a lot of folks. They'll be there for 2 hours on a routine that should take not even half that. Nothing abnormal there, but it does make it a pain to use some of the equipment.

I don't like being rude or dismissive to people (personal preference there) so I take a position similar to the advice I gave. I'm not chatty but am friendly, will talk a bit here and there but usually just work. I Get along well enough with the regulars but am mostly left to myself.

With that rambling out of the way, setting and enforcing your boundaries is important. Most of the time people will just half ignore each other out of habit, but you eventually do meet a person that will take everything they can from you. Whether that is in time, money, emotions or whatever, you do need to be able to set your relationships and interactions into what YOU want them to be.
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
The gym I go to seems to be the social hangout for a lot of folks. They'll be there for 2 hours on a routine that should take not even half that. Nothing abnormal there, but it does make it a pain to use some of the equipment.

I don't like being rude or dismissive to people (personal preference there) so I take a position similar to the advice I gave. I'm not chatty but am friendly, will talk a bit here and there but usually just work. I Get along well enough with the regulars but am mostly left to myself.

With that rambling out of the way, setting and enforcing your boundaries is important. Most of the time people will just half ignore each other out of habit, but you eventually do meet a person that will take everything they can from you. Whether that is in time, money, emotions or whatever, you do need to be able to set your relationships and interactions into what YOU want them to be.
This. You need to know what you will and will not stand for. If someone is doing something you don't like, call them out on it. And if that proves ineffective, leave the conversation/interaction. Who cares if it's rude to stop listening to him after 5 minutes and just plug in your headphones and do a set? If that's what you want to do (rather than be stuck in a pointless coversation), do it. I am polite and usually tell people I know/talk to "one minute, let me just finish this set and we can catch up" and then go talk to them (regulars I know) for a few minutes.

But if someone is non stop talking for 10 mins and there's no point to the convo/the person is weird, just leave the conversation.

Last edited by Zemix : 02-19-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:40 AM

I normally nod, plug in my ear buds... and look real serious and lift.

After my set, if they are still standing there or whatever. I just continue to look serious and pant and not look up or their way.

It works most of the time, but you can't fool them all of the time.
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
I hate people with no filter
I have to second this... had a similar experience last week in the gym. I was on the second round of my UD2 depletion workouts (dying on the leg press machine no less) and this guy decides to talk my ear off during my set about how the iPhone 5 sucks and he's waiting until the 6 comes out to upgrade blah blah blah. All the while, I'm looking completely spent just counting the seconds until my set is up and he pays no attention, just keeps on talking. That went on for two more sets, completely screwing up my focus.

Normally, I would politely make small talk and excuse myself, but when doing depletion work I'm not in the mood for anyone! So after my last set he was still going on and on and as rude as it was I just walked away while he was mid sentence.
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Banned

Different strategy, don't believe it's been mentioned yet, IMO less rude ...

Mentally set a short time limit for BS convo; when it's exceeded, look at the clock or your watch and say "oh shoot look at the time! gotta finish my workout in XX min to make an appointment! ... nice chatting with you!"
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underhanded View Post
Everyone in my gym used to bench 350 until....
Yours too, eh?

OT: There's a similar guy at my gym who I call the Talker Stalker. The problem is that I know him professionally and we have common acquaintances, etc, so it's hard to disengage. I've taken to just avoiding him to the point of swapping around my workout, or changing my mind about getting a drink of water if he's at the fountain (which he usually is, preying on a trapped audience).

Pathetic? Perhaps, but there are potential costs to telling Talker Stalker, even politely, that I need to get back to my workout. Besides, the way he looks at me creeps me out. (I'm female and, while I'm by no means young, Talker Stalker has about 30 years on me.)

//bstrong