BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Money can't buy happiness. It can sure rent it for a while though.

More seriously, I think at most money gives you the resources and ability to find your own happiness. If you think that buying stuff 'makes' you happy, I would posit that you don't know what being happy is. You're confusing accumulating stuff with happiness, trying to fill some void in yourself and hoping that the next piece of crap that you buy will fill it.

Because you can be just as miserable trying to accumulate more money to buy more useless stuff as not.
I agree with that, spending a lifetime trying to accumulate as much wealth and material things as humanly possible usually comes at the price of relationships/having to take advantage of people.

Just look at every extremely wealthy person in the world; you don't get there without stepping on a few toes. One of the reasons, I think, many of them being philanthropists when they make it big. The entire notion of extreme wealth (think Bill Gates) is just a spit in the face of 'equality', which is so widely preached everyday throughout the world. Luckily we live in a country ruled by Capitalism (or so they'd like us to believe right? Corporate States of America).

Not sure if you guys have seen the movie 'There Will Be Blood' but it is an EXTREMELY well done movie that tackles a lot of these issues in the backdrop of the Western Oil boom of the early 1900s. Daniel Plainview, in that film, is the example of an individual who will do whatever it takes to achieve wealth. At the end of the movie you see the result of that behavior. I personally believe a middle ground is where happiness lies. That said someone told me something long ago that I have been unable to fully shake:

"The pain in life overcomes the joy to the point JOY no longer exists... Find the joy."
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:58 AM

Like the swedes in simpsons said: "Joy is but the shadow of pain!"
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM

I'm not a guy (clearly) but I'd like to address the money/happiness thing.

I used to have a very good job in a male-dominated industry (service manager at a car dealership.) I dealt with awful awful job stress, working upwards of 60 hours a week, plus bringing work home, sexual harrassment from superiors (being the only female in the room most of the time) and being a single mom while doing this.

Then my dad passed away. He didn't leave me a boatload of money or anything - that's not the point of all this. He was a very introspective man and kept journals, which I found, and then read. He had a ton of money, but in reading those journals, I discovered he had been unhappy and had regrets about things he never took the time to do. Nobody knew because he hid is so well.

I went back to my job and couldn't get back into the whole swing of it, money or no money. So I quit - just walked right out in the middle of the day. I had some savings, I'd kept my bills low, and I just kind of floated for a year. My budget is intensely tight - in fact most would call us "poor". But I have dinner and breakfast every night with my kids. I've lost 60 pounds and begun to exercise. I've written a book that may never see the light of day. I do a ton of volunteer work. I am a happy, peaceful person.

We don't go hungry, we have electricity, we still have our home, and we have each other. I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, and I pick up little jobs here and there to supplement.

So we've gone from $65K a year to $15K a year.

Happiness is based what you value.
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
I'm not a guy (clearly) but I'd like to address the money/happiness thing.

I used to have a very good job in a male-dominated industry (service manager at a car dealership.) I dealt with awful awful job stress, working upwards of 60 hours a week, plus bringing work home, sexual harrassment from superiors (being the only female in the room most of the time) and being a single mom while doing this.

Then my dad passed away. He didn't leave me a boatload of money or anything - that's not the point of all this. He was a very introspective man and kept journals, which I found, and then read. He had a ton of money, but in reading those journals, I discovered he had been unhappy and had regrets about things he never took the time to do. Nobody knew because he hid is so well.

I went back to my job and couldn't get back into the whole swing of it, money or no money. So I quit - just walked right out in the middle of the day. I had some savings, I'd kept my bills low, and I just kind of floated for a year. My budget is intensely tight - in fact most would call us "poor". But I have dinner and breakfast every night with my kids. I've lost 60 pounds and begun to exercise. I've written a book that may never see the light of day. I do a ton of volunteer work. I am a happy, peaceful person.

We don't go hungry, we have electricity, we still have our home, and we have each other. I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, and I pick up little jobs here and there to supplement.

So we've gone from $65K a year to $15K a year.

Happiness is based what you value.
You have come to find something many people never do, Kudos.