BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-11-2015, 05:53 PM

Default Stationary bike calories burnt?

Next cut I want to try implementing some very low itensity(ii guess you could describe it as a leisurely pace) work on an old stationary bike I have lying around purely so I can watch TV at the same time,probably 30 minutes a day.How much would you estimate this to be in terms of calorie burn?
Unread 02-11-2015, 08:40 PM

That is hard to estimate. I have a power tap which is very accurate at caloric expenditure. This is in opposition to many meters on "gym bikes."

When I am on a recovery ride, like 160 W, that will run about 290 Calories for 30 min. Now, from some of the blogs I have read on this forum, it is hard to say if you are putting out 160W. For me, that is like nothing, feels like I am hardly turning the pedals. I have read blogs where that is the target wattage though. On the other side of things, I can hold 300W for an hour and that will burn ~ 540 Calories in 30 min. but that, for me is hard and the effort will be felt.

I would say that the amount you are going to burn is likely small relative to your overall daily intake that you might be able to just not count it and it will go towards deficit. Now, if you are small in mass or going for accuracy, well then you need some other tool.
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Administrator

I'm surprised 300w for an hour only gets you 540 cal. What's the KJ count on that?

But yes, intensity is the key to all of this. Trained in anything can burn more cal/min at low intensities. Untrained cannot.
Unread 02-12-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I'm surprised 300w for an hour only gets you 540 cal. What's the KJ count on that?

But yes, intensity is the key to all of this. Trained in anything can burn more cal/min at low intensities. Untrained cannot.
300 W will get me that Calorie count for 30 min. I am using the standard assumptions of the human body being in the neighborhood of 24% efficiency along with the conversion of joules to calories being 1:4.2.

Most cyclists will simply look at KJ and Calories as being equal. Calories spent might be a bit more, as some will add on another 10%.
Unread 02-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Derp, I read it as 540 calories in an HOUR. Nevermind.
Unread 02-17-2015, 06:57 AM

"Trained in anything can burn more cal/min at low intensities. Untrained cannot. "

Lyle, could you explain why is this?
I was thinking that if you are trained you will burn less calories because you are more adapted to this type of cardio and your heart rate will be lower.
Unread 02-17-2015, 07:54 AM

An untrained cyclist can do maybe 120 watts for an hour of easy z2 riding, resulting in 432 kJ of work done. A pro level cylist can do 290 watts for an hour of easy z2 riding, resulting in 1044 kJ of work done. The pro will burn more calories in this hour.

While the numbers aren't as exact, the premise would hold true for other sports as well.
Unread 12-31-2015, 05:09 PM

I am thinking of getting an ergometercycle soon so as to burn of calories while I watch TV or whatever. Now, I dont trust the calorie count on all the various ergometercycles. Is this mistrust unfounded? In any case, can someone please tell me what I should order so as to get a reliable calorie counter? If it show wats, and there is a formula for converting those into calories without needing to bother about my weight, age and gender that would be nice too. And if it necessary to count those factors in, it would be nice to get the formula for that too. While googling this I found that many "experts" says that a fit person with same weight expend less calories doing the same activity as a more unfit person. That seems really counterintuitive. Where exactly does the rest of the calories go? I hope someone can enligthen me on this.

I tried to search for a more relevant thread but coulden't find it.

Last edited by Nero : 12-31-2015 at 05:23 PM.