BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Because no matter how you cut it, something is BS

Either this book is BS and not representative of the magic program he used to charge people $1500 a month for.

Or he charged some really gullible idiots a lot of money to tell them to skip breakfast, eat a lot of protein and eat fruit around a workout.

I guess the only gains in leangains is gaining trust and money from idiots with nothing.
Unread 08-18-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Because no matter how you cut it, something is BS

Either this book is BS and not representative of the magic program he used to charge people $1500 a month for.

Or he charged some really gullible idiots a lot of money to tell them to skip breakfast, eat a lot of protein and eat fruit around a workout.

I guess the only gains in leangains is gaining trust and money from idiots with nothing.
Someone posted that magic program on Reddit few years ago and it actually costed 1500$ hahaha. It was something like this:

1. Don't eat for 16 hours
2. On training days, put 75% of cals after training. Maintenance or slightly above
3. On non-training days eat less
4. Cheesecake
Unread 08-18-2018, 11:49 AM

Bought the book. Read the whole thing. Here's my thoughts.

1) Not a book about IF. More about his personal journey and the realization that freedom (aka, flexible dieting) is the key to adherence. IF just helps some people with adherence. I really enjoyed this part of the book. He's a good writer.

2) The diet is really just The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook 2.0.

So he comes to the conclusion that we need way more protein than previously thought because [reasons]. End result is typical "calculate your calories, subtract 500/day." But then, get 50-60% of those calories from protein.

When I run those numbers, it puts me exactly in the 1.5-2.0 g/lb LBM range that RFL recommends for weight training.

Eat lots of fibrous greens (like 1kg broccoli/day), some fruit before/after training. Be flexible with the rest of your diet (within reason).

So really, its just taking RFL and adding in enough "other stuff" until it becomes a sustainable long-term fat loss program.
Unread 08-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgias View Post

1) Not a book about IF. More about his personal journey and the realization that freedom (aka, flexible dieting) is the key to adherence. IF just helps some people with adherence. I really enjoyed this part of the book. He's a good writer.

So he comes to the conclusion that we need way more protein than previously thought because [reasons]. End result is typical "calculate your calories, subtract 500/day." But then, get 50-60% of those calories from protein.

When I run those numbers, it puts me exactly in the 1.5-2.0 g/lb LBM range that RFL recommends for weight training.

Eat lots of fibrous greens (like 1kg broccoli/day), some fruit before/after training. Be flexible with the rest of your diet (within reason).

So really, its just taking RFL and adding in enough "other stuff" until it becomes a sustainable long-term fat loss program.
Martin's sales copy
""Its author makes a single promise. You’ve never read a book like this before, and you’ll never read its like again.""

So not only is it very much like a book people hve read before, in my case it's very much like a book I've WRITTEN before.
Unread 08-19-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:

This is basically the cliffs of the entire book. Alan says in the intro him and Martin did a lot of back and forth on the science aspects of the diet. The biggest one is easily IF. I wonder how much impact he had with toning down how crucial that was. Martin has made some wild claims in the past about the miracle of fasting.
Unread 08-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
This is basically the cliffs of the entire book. Alan says in the intro him and Martin did a lot of back and forth on the science aspects of the diet. The biggest one is easily IF. I wonder how much impact he had with toning down how crucial that was. Martin has made some wild claims in the past about the miracle of fasting.
I am told that in the book he even says he knows he was full of it.

So apolgoists will go "Oh, see, he's realized he was wrong."

And yet he's still selling this package based on his name, the Leangains name and his reputation as the IF guy, making absurd claims in teh sales copy "the super secret supplement to burn off more fat" (caffeine). He was apparently a conman then ($1500/monto to skip breakfast and eat protein) and a conman no (this is the newest thing ever: Lyle's RFL with a pretty cover).

Screw this guy, screw anybody who defends him or this book. I'm shocked Alan put his name to this. Moreso after martin's petulant attack on he and I, the one that will live here forever

bodyrecomposition.com/martinberkhan.pdf

Never forget.
Unread 08-19-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Martin's sales copy
""Its author makes a single promise. You’ve never read a book like this before, and you’ll never read its like again.""

So not only is it very much like a book people hve read before, in my case it's very much like a book I've WRITTEN before.
Martin 2018 = Lyle 2003

So in 15 years, he’ll we writing “Leangains for Women. Unlike anything you’ve read before!”
Unread 08-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Martin 2018 = Lyle 2003

So in 15 years, he’ll we writing “Leangains for Women. Unlike anything you’ve read before!”
Not even close. Lyle tore people new orifices because their science was faulty, or were just being idiots. I don't remember him every resorting to personal attacks without cause. He could have made a very successful career on being the keto guy and cherry picking only research that supported it (hi Taubes), but was always clear it was a tool in the toolbox.
Unread 08-19-2018, 10:23 PM

I will never read the berkhan book, because I'm just not that interested in the male model experience.
Unread 08-20-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
I'm shocked Alan put his name to this. Moreso after martin's petulant attack on he and I, the one that will live here forever
You know Alan better than we do, any idea why he wrote the foreword?

It's not like he just gave the book a good review. He had glaring praise for Martin and his book, and even helped edit it.

I'm only a third of the way through the book so I'm only at the DIT/TEF part. I'll reserve judgement until I finish it.