BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-25-2014, 04:12 PM

Default Supplementation for a 70 day study streak

Starting next Monday. Everything and anything to relieve stress and to improve focus/memory will be considered. Right now I'm taking a break of all stimulants except for coffee (I see no reason to cycle it). Next Monday I will start with the minimum and slowly include more if I think it's necessary/useful.

I'm thinking of taking:

Morning/day
Coffee, green tea, Mate
Mucuna pruriens (standardized for 15% L-dopa)
L-tyrosine
Multivitamins (especially B), fish oil, allergy medicine, cissus, maybe creatine
Dymatize Viper or VPX redline black on blue if I feel ultra tired

Evening
5-htp
Magnesium citrate
Vitamin C
Mucuna pruriens
PES erase (only if having trouble with sleep)
Melatonin (only if having trouble with sleep)
Relaxing herbal teas

Anything else OTC worth considering?

Any food recommendations to keep me awake, energetic and happy?
You'll find information on my eating and workout routine here: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=28211

I think these are different enough topics to both deserve their own threads.

My dear diary log, Starting November 2015
UD2 log January-March 2014 ; Random updates
Unread 03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Banned

Jillian Michaels sez lettuce before bed can keep you awake.

When I was in college we had something called speed. Don't know what it was but kept me awake for days.
Unread 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM

But there's no way to tell in isolation what compound served a benefit, if it's placebo, or if you subconsciously or coincidentally change lifestyle habits sometime during the 70 day streak.

There are other -afinil type nootropics that might be worth a try as well. I've been curious about modafinil for some time, but it's not worth the price and hassle for me until I know I respond well to it.
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah_k View Post
But there's no way to tell in isolation what compound served a benefit, if it's placebo, or if you subconsciously or coincidentally change lifestyle habits sometime during the 70 day streak.

There are other -afinil type nootropics that might be worth a try as well. I've been curious about modafinil for some time, but it's not worth the price and hassle for me until I know I respond well to it.
One would also need a prescription for something like modafinil right? Sounds promising, but maybe more so for a last minute studying streak than for a longer period.

I don't really need to know which compund serves a benefit, I just want to pass the exams.

Unread 03-25-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Retardo View Post
Jillian Michaels sez lettuce before bed can keep you awake.

When I was in college we had something called speed. Don't know what it was but kept me awake for days.
I took lettuce last night just before bed and slept 12h straight. I must be immune

Unread 03-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacfa View Post
I took lettuce last night just before bed and slept 12h straight. I must be immune
You probably had the sugarz.

If you live in the city I've found gunshots in the night can keep me awake too.
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Haha, sorry then, I thought this was a quest in self-discovery to nail down that elusive "what works for me", not just to get by a fixed goal where it's not a matter of what specifically works, but just making it happen.

Good luck!

You can buy -afinil from no-rx vendors, and there are plenty of legitimate suppliers but they are costly as all hell. I wanted to give a bulk vendor a try for much cheaper but the risk of counterfeit is way too high.
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:54 AM

Fasting was used by Pythagoras to enhance mental clarity, creativity and performance. He systematically fasted for 40 days and also demanded strict 40-day fast on water alone from each of his numerous disciples and followers.

Of course this is not such a hot proposal nowadays so the next best thing would be a keto diet. CR (calorie restriction) by whatever means i.e eating bellow maintenance every day (anywhere from 20-40% less) or ADF (alternating day fasting) or more conservative IF schemes such as 16h fasting (aka. "skipping breakfast") is linked with improvements in many health markers (not all due to fat reduction) with many studies being made regarding prevention/treatment of mental diseases like Parkinson and Alzheimer and CR being recommended as a life-style for increasing of health-span. This book is one example of that and despite the title what the author talk about is really CR and everything based on the most recent and relevant research made on the subject.

So keto combined with CR is a potential way to improve mental capacity.
This combination (which mimics some of the adaptations that happens during a hardcore fasting) causes a marked change in the brain biochemistry.
Sleep requirement tend to go down significantly, I hardly can sleep more than 5h per day when following such regimen, with 3h per night not being unusual and not impairing mental performance during the day whatsoever.

There is however some adaptation/transition phase where you may not feel so great (individual variance is huge in this regard).

Anyway besides that, the only thing that can have a huge impact is modafinil/armodafinil. From what I read modafinil have some real powerful nootropic properties (it goes beyond sleep suppression). But it is expensive.
Check the examine article on it to get a grasp of how it works.
Unread 03-26-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloluiz View Post
Fasting was used by Pythagoras to enhance mental clarity, creativity and performance. He systematically fasted for 40 days and also demanded strict 40-day fast on water alone from each of his numerous disciples and followers.

Of course this is not such a hot proposal nowadays so the next best thing would be a keto diet. CR (calorie restriction) by whatever means i.e eating bellow maintenance every day (anywhere from 20-40% less) or ADF (alternating day fasting) or more conservative IF schemes such as 16h fasting (aka. "skipping breakfast") is linked with improvements in many health markers (not all due to fat reduction) with many studies being made regarding prevention/treatment of mental diseases like Parkinson and Alzheimer and CR being recommended as a life-style for increasing of health-span. This book is one example of that and despite the title what the author talk about is really CR and everything based on the most recent and relevant research made on the subject.

So keto combined with CR is a potential way to improve mental capacity.
This combination (which mimics some of the adaptations that happens during a hardcore fasting) causes a marked change in the brain biochemistry.
Sleep requirement tend to go down significantly, I hardly can sleep more than 5h per day when following such regimen, with 3h per night not being unusual and not impairing mental performance during the day whatsoever.

There is however some adaptation/transition phase where you may not feel so great (individual variance is huge in this regard).

Anyway besides that, the only thing that can have a huge impact is modafinil/armodafinil. From what I read modafinil have some real powerful nootropic properties (it goes beyond sleep suppression). But it is expensive.
Check the examine article on it to get a grasp of how it works.
I fast ~20h daily. I prefer fasting to keto, though I've actually done even a Leangains-keto-CR combination in the past. I was on a low-carb/Keto diet for ~3 years before starting intermittent fasting, which I've been doing 1,5 years now. I feel alert and my energy is really high throughout the fast and I this is when I tend to get all the hard work done. Then I eat and save some easier stuff for the evening. There's a link in the OP to another thread where I describe my eating habits.

I live in Finland and I don't think those study drugs are something I could easily acquire, but I'll be sure to look into it.

Unread 03-26-2014, 06:59 AM

Everything I've tried makes you pay for the benefit one way or another with the exception of b vitamin pills and melatonin (boring...). Have you looked into choline supplementation, perhaps? What kind of exams?