BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Administrator

<gross overgeneralization follows>
There is a tendency, a personality type if you will, that tends to be drawn to alternative things/explanations. It's why people who get into alternative goofiness tend to get involved in all the different aspects of alternative goofiness.

Why folks who get into kettlebells so often get into things like vibram 5 fingers and pose running. Basically anytihng that is an 'alternative to the mainstream/majority' will be appealing to them on some level.

Sort of by definition, folks who go into chiropractic (a mode of treatement that hinges ona completely made up and bogus theory*) tend towards that mindset. If they didn't have it, they wouldn't be drawn to something like chiro in the first place. So they tend to get drawn into other alternative types of ideas. Such as homeopathy and the belief that anything made by the food industry is automaticaly bad for you.
</gross overgenerlazation ends>

* please note that that sentence does NOT mean that chiropractic doesn't have benefits in certain cases. That is, manipulation is real and clearly 'helps' certain types of issues, the whole premise of subluxtions inherent to chiropractic is nonsense.

Edit: better add this before someone jumps down my throat: the statement is really just meant to be a statement. Don't read anything positive or negative into it per se. Just making a commentary in general. That is all.
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Lyle, you've always got an interesting take on stuff. I never thought of the above that way but it actually makes a lot of sense. It also fits my experiences with chiro's like a glove.
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Best I can find on pubmed

Neurology. 1994 Oct;44(10):1787-93.
Aspartame ingestion and headaches: a randomized crossover trial.

Van den Eeden SK, Koepsell TD, Longstreth WT Jr, van Belle G, Daling JR, McKnight B.
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195.
Comment in:To examine whether ingestion of aspartame is associated with headaches, we conducted a double-blind crossover study using volunteers with self-identified headaches after using aspartame. Of the 32 subjects randomized to receive aspartame (approximately 30 mg/kg/d) and placebo in a two-treatment, four-period crossover design, 18 completed the full protocol, seven completed part of the protocol before withdrawing due to adverse effects, three withdrew for other reasons, two were lost to follow-up, one was withdrawn due to noncompliance, and one withdrew and gave no reason. Each experimental period was 7 days long. Subjects reported headaches on 33% of the days during aspartame treatment, compared with 24% on placebo treatment (p = 0.04). Subjects who were "very sure" prior to the study that aspartame triggered some of their headaches reported larger treatment differences (aspartame = 0.37 headache-days, placebo = 0.18 headache-days; p < 0.001) than subjects who were "somewhat sure" (aspartame = 0.29 headache-days, placebo = 0.22 headache-days; p = 0.51) or "not sure" (aspartame = 0.33 headache-days, placebo = 0.39 headache-days; p = 0.51). There was no significant treatment difference in the length or intensity of headaches or in the occurrence of side effects associated with the headaches. This experiment provides evidence that, among individuals with self-reported headaches after ingestion of aspartame, a subset of this group report more headaches when tested under controlled conditions. It appears that some people are particularly susceptible to headaches caused by aspartame and may want to limit their consumption.
thanks
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Are you prone to headaches in general? It's really not my area of interest or expertise but digging around on medline when I found that, I got the very vague impression that some people are simply more prone to headaches (for whatever underlying reason) than others. Probably to any type of potentially headache inducing thing.
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you prone to headaches in general? It's really not my area of interest or expertise but digging around on medline when I found that, I got the very vague impression that some people are simply more prone to headaches (for whatever underlying reason) than others. Probably to any type of potentially headache inducing thing.
Actually, I never experienced my first headaches till my 20's.

Now in my late 30's I still rarely get them.

Growing up I watched as people would take pain pills for their headaches and wondered what all the fuss was. Lucky me.

But yes, if I drink to much caffeine free diet soda (no stims for me thanks) I will get a headache. Weird isn't it?
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

The only problem with aspartame is that it hydrolyses fairly quickly at high temperatures and acid conditions so a) you can't cook with it and b) diet drinks slowly deteriorate if you keep the bottle at room temperature.

Sucralose doesn't have this problem.

Blog
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Who drinks room temperature soda?
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigeepoo View Post
Sucralose doesn't have this problem.
Maybe not but that doesn't stop get around the vile taste that lingers for hours...

I quite like truvia in my tea but otherwise its aspartame for me. It removes the bitterness without overpowering the taste of whatever I am eating/drinking.
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Who drinks room temperature soda?
I bought a load of 2L bottles of diet Pepsi cheap (just before their use-by date) a few years ago. I can't remember how long it took me to work my way through them, but the flavour deteriorated as time passed and I ended up chucking some of them.

Blog
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkai View Post
Maybe not but that doesn't stop get around the vile taste that lingers for hours...
Saccharine has a vile lingering after-taste. Splenda doesn't (not to me, anyway).

Blog