BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM

Default Women grunting/moaning in the gym?

I just want to preface by saying that I'm not advocating for or against women in the gym.
Today, for the first time, I saw a boyfriend/girlfriend doing squats side by side. How cute, right? Well, I didn't think anything of it except for the fact that the girl looked smokin' hot in that pink tank top. As I start to load my weights onto the bar, I hear sporadic grunts from the woman, and thought to myself, "that kinda sounds out of place, but, guys grunt too." With each set, she made more sexual grunts, and then by the time she was doing leg presses, it turned into flat out moaning. Even though it was initially sexy, that's where it got to the point of distracting/annoying. It seemed completely unnecessary. I was almost ready to say something to either her or the managment, but I don't really know the protocol on this one. Anybody experience something like this before??
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Men do this all the time. There are guys at my gym who literally scream for 2 hours straight. And that's after the owners have told them to be quiet.

Are you tempted to make the same report on men? If not, let it go.
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Working out in a public gym sometimes means having to deal with stuff that happens in public gyms

I'd let it go as well (maybe wear headphones if it bothers you that much).
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

annoying people is why I spent $1200 to make my home gym
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:41 PM

One of the all time greatest workouts I ever had in my life was once at a gym where executives and pro athletes trained. It was super high end, huge, lots of space, 3 story atrium of space with multiple tracks going around and a pool next to it, etc.
Very nice, very expensive.

I had a nice setup where I could go during the workday, and the only people who were there were the pro basketball team who trained there (for example, one guy I ran into a lot had recently been stabbed at the time and was recovering), execs (very rare to actually see), and then lots and lots of old people (this made for an extremely unpleasant locker room, since we all know the amount of nakedness you stroll around at is proportionate to your age).

Anyway, in the span of one fantastic hour, I had two things happen that made it the greatest workout ever.

1)
I was curling, because beach muscles never rest, and the area where that would take place was in front of mirrors, but perpendicular to that area were the yoga rooms and whatnot.
There happened to be a class in there full of old people.
Said old people were curled up in balls - fetal position I guess - and just rolling around on the floor like turtles who couldn't get up after overturning themselves.
30 minutes of this.

2)
And then this. The greatest workout I've ever seen. By anyone.
Keeping in mind, this place was super high end, and generally pretty peaceful.
I was doing bench and I heard a guy screaming on the other side of some mirror partitions from me.
I figured he was just some noisy jerk, left it at that.
But this guy was screaming and moaning for easily 20 minutes straight.
Finally during one of my rest sets, I walked around to see how much weight this guy was throwing around and whether it merited this much screaming.
It turns out, it was a guy in short shorts, socks pulled up to his knees, wife beater, sweat bands, and a helmet - he was screaming at the top of his lungs and just smashing his head into the corner of the gym.
He had a handler who would occasionally stand up, walk over to him, and try to redirect him away from doing this - but to no avail, she would sit back down and boom, back to screaming and smashing his head into the corner.
20 minutes.
Then I guess that was enough and his handler took him home.

Those two workouts that I saw in the span of my own vastly inferior workout greatly changed how I workout today.

Lots of screaming, bashing my head into things, and rolling around these days - you should definitely try it.
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator

In a gym I worked at years ago in LA, about 10 minutes before close, and this would happen basically every night, a guy would come in, go over the chinup bar and start doing endless screaming reps. Top of his lungs, every rep. And every night we'd go through the dance of:

"We're closing, wrap it up and get out."
"But I just got started."
"Sir, you know what time we close and it's time for you to leave."
"Just one more set."
"Ok, I'm letting the pitbulls out of their cage."

More or less.
Unread 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Oh good grief. I can't imagine.

My gym is pretty quiet...just occasionally there will be a grunting guy doing something silly. I've never seen any of the women lift anything heavier than the 8 pound dumbells if they are lifting at all.

It is annoying when it does happen, but I usually keep my headphones in.
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:16 PM

If anyone screams in the gym I currently go to, the noise is drowned out by the volume of the techno music they pump through the speakers. Not being able to hear anything also puts you in danger of getting ran over by the hundreds of women doing their bodyweight lunges for hours at a time.
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLMichelle View Post
Oh good grief. I can't imagine.

My gym is pretty quiet...just occasionally there will be a grunting guy doing something silly. I've never seen any of the women lift anything heavier than the 8 pound dumbells if they are lifting at all.

It is annoying when it does happen, but I usually keep my headphones in.
I mean, the girl who I saw today was just squatting the bar....
RIDICULOUS!!
Unread 02-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

All the cute girls at my gym are cardio bunnies. Boring.