BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-04-2014, 11:15 AM

My favorite was when they made the Body Fortress scooper bigger and claimed "60g Protein (per 2 servings)" up from the previous 52g (per 2 servings). Of course, there were several fewer servings. The horrible aftertaste got to me and now I like ON Natural Chocolate. It's not terribly sweet but has a nice cocoa taste, and of course is better in milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead View Post
Speaking of Sam's and Walmart, they keep using the trick of keeping the same packaging but diluting the actual product. The Body Fortress Whey macros changed a long time ago, and back in February, the Muscletech stuff at Sam's Club changed. I remember seeing that the packages had changed with something like "New Improved Flavor" on the package. The Sam's I was at still had the old stuff.

I can't remember the exact comparison but the price was the same, but the serving per container had changed to 50 or 60% of the old stuff. It seems they put more filler.

I think I might order a big batch from TN when I run out of all the powder I have now as the shipping isn't so bad when you get a lot. I need to order a real lot so I can get the bulk discount.
Unread 04-07-2014, 07:45 AM

bodybuilding.com is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale on dymatize/ON casein...
Unread 04-10-2014, 02:00 PM

heads up, bodybuilding has 15% sale sitewide today.
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconNEggs View Post
My favorite was when they made the Body Fortress scooper bigger and claimed "60g Protein (per 2 servings)" up from the previous 52g (per 2 servings). Of course, there were several fewer servings. The horrible aftertaste got to me and now I like ON Natural Chocolate. It's not terribly sweet but has a nice cocoa taste, and of course is better in milk.
I also noticed something on the amino acid breakdown on the label. The amount of leucine was actually less in the 60g/serving body fortress than in the 52g/serving. Further investigation of the label revealed that the amount of glycine had greatly increased. Cheap glycine from gelatin or collagen is added to whey and they claim more protein. Of course the more protein is very low grade. (Sort of like the protein bars that use gelatin or collagen to boost their numbers.)
Unread 05-04-2014, 06:44 PM

Be careful with "cheap" costing protein. There was a protein supplement test and a couple of the supplements was lacking significantly in the protein content department.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
Unread 06-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Default muscletech from Sam's club

I broke down and bought the Cookies and Cream flavor of Muscletech Whey yesterday as the series was being discounted $7. ($35-7) I swore I wasn't going to buy the product ever since the changed they got cheap back in February. Just as with the Body Fortress, the scoop is gigantic now. At least this Muscletech Cookies and Cream is 130cal, 20g protein vs the Vanilla and Chocolate flavors which are 140cal 20g protein.

I'm good till the end of the year with powders now. I had a big order from TN and have this and two containers of Dynamitize.
Unread 07-10-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead View Post
I broke down and bought the Cookies and Cream flavor of Muscletech Whey yesterday as the series was being discounted $7. ($35-7) I swore I wasn't going to buy the product ever since the changed they got cheap back in February. Just as with the Body Fortress, the scoop is gigantic now. At least this Muscletech Cookies and Cream is 130cal, 20g protein vs the Vanilla and Chocolate flavors which are 140cal 20g protein.

I'm good till the end of the year with powders now. I had a big order from TN and have this and two containers of Dynamitize.
Man, you made me jump up in a panic and double check my bottle of Muscletech / Six Star Cookies and Cream, fearing I am not getting the 30g protein I have been calculating, but rather they changed it somewhere and I didn't notice and have been getting 20g. But luckily, that is not the case. I just double checked my bottle and it definitely is 30g per portion. That's weird. Where do you get yours?

I noticed the scoop was bigger on the Cookies and Cream flavor as well, but I figured that was because some difference in the flavoring vs. chocolate which is what I used to get. Maybe it's the little "cookie" granules or whatever. But I'm not sure as Cookies and Cream is now my favorite and I haven't picked up any chocolate since I made the switch.

I love the flavor of the stuff, it's like a milk shake when I mix it with milk (while bulking) but it's not even that bad when you mix it with water (i.e., when cutting, as I am now). As long as you mix it with 8 oz. water (I was mixing it with 16 oz. water before, dunno why, but it didn't taste nearly as good, bad even, lol).

Not only is the taste good, but it is the cheapest protein (per 30g serving of actual protein) that I seem to be able to find. The stuff goes for just under $19, and it's 19 servings, which makes it $1.00 per 30g serving. Now I have looked online, at Sam's Club, and just about everywhere, even considered buying up to 5 or 10 lbs at a time from some places, but I still can't find any whey protein powder any cheaper than that, anywhere else.

And it's readily available locally at most of the Wal Marts close to me (I am in Clearwater, FL).

Aaaand... each scoop contains 2.5g of creatine. I usually have 2 shakes per day (one first in AM, another mid afternoon when I am working and it's too hot out to eat) and that gives me the needed 5g per day. I know it's easy/cheap enough to get straight creatine and just add it to whatever you are doing, but why bother when it's already in there, the stuff tastes good, and it's the cheapest, most readily available protein around anyway.

So, because of all those factors, I don't even look around any more. That's the protein for me, I get about 1 tub of it every week or so.
Unread 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrit...utrition+10+lb

yes. looks like prices went from 104-105 to 111. but still, 33g/$ or so. must have been very recent, I remember 10 lb bags being 103-105$ for the last couple years or so.
Alright, running the numbers on this for comparison. One scoop contains 24g protein x 149 servings per container = 3,576g protein / 30 (to normalize to 30g serving for comparison purposes) = 119.2 servings. At today's price of $111.99 (free shipping on Amazon) / 119.2 servings = $0.94 per 30g protein serving.

Which makes it slightly cheaper than the Six Star stuff. But you have to buy a big thing of it, and wait for shipping. Which is fine, if you plan ahead (usually I do).

How does it taste though?
Unread 07-10-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
i have used smartpowders for other supplements but not for protein yet. give it a try, can't go wrong for that price.

http://www.fitrx.com/fitrx/detail_pa...85&i_brand=148

this is a nice deal I see throughout the year too. 10 lbs of dymatize elite for a little over 70 bucks. lotta flavors too.
Alright, sorry to triple post but I'll do the same analysis for this one.

Label is 21g protein per serving for Cappucino Rush flavor, dunno about others (assume same?). So, normalizing to 30g protein per serving: 21g x 71 servings per tub x 2 tubs in deal = 2,982g protein / 30 = 99.4 servings.

The two tubs at today's price are on special for $71.90 (is this one of those "always" specials?) + their shipping is $6.95 unless you order >$200 worth of stuff so total cost is $78.85 / 99.4 servings = $0.79 per 30g protein serving.

Which makes this one the weiner to date, from strictly a price perspective. Cursory look, seems like decent quality, it's called gourmet but anyone had it? How's the taste?
Unread 07-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Don't buy Body Fortress. It could be possible it only has half the protein claimed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comm...ement_results/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...KNm9XOVE#gid=0

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.