BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Heart Rate Variability

Part 1 on the main site
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Banned

I'm glad this subject is brought up. I'm kind of a gadget guy myself, and with my background in engineering, I understand enough of the things they are doing to be dangerous.

Polar has been hyping the HRV technology for a bit, but honestly, most of the features that use it seem a little iffy to me. One thing they use it for is to dynamically set your Heart zones based on the HRV to assess your overtraining and the like. As I said though, it never really seemed to deliver all that much.

Then again, when I used it I was grossly out of shape, rather than just mostly out of shape, and most technology assumes a reasonably clustered distribution, and doesn't work particularly well for big outliers.
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Link seems to be broken / I can't find the article on the main site.
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Problem with the article, I temporarily unpublished it
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:13 PM

hi,

i am also very glad this topic shows up,

i've been reading a lot lately about HRV, and how many things you "can" do with it (check overtraining, calculate HRmax, calculate Epoc, calculate calorie consumption during workout, etc)..

if anyone wants to read more about this, check all information, papers and thesis published by people in Polar (check all stuff Polar protrainer can calculate from a log of your workout), also check out Kubios HRV, SportsTrack software with useful plugins and of course, the most complete one FirstBeat.fi programs

thanks for your work again Lyle!

please sorry my english
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM

Any updates on this subject? I Couldn't find the article about HRV on main site.
Unread 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmart View Post
Any updates on this subject? I Couldn't find the article about HRV on main site.
Just bumping this up, "nothing found".. also interested in the subject.
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:11 AM

Maybe we could all contribute what we know about this topic? All I know is that HeartMath has a little monitor for this. Still not 100% sure what it actually does.
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Basically I was misled into the lose weight by aggressively cutting on carbs myth. For background I am not overweight, was just trying to break a plateau.... Long story short, two months+ into my vlc experiment my weight didn't drop but HRV values did (you want HRV to go up... two strikes....).

Things are turning around thanks to Lyle's work and his "keto diet" book. Just two weeks playing around with refeeds my weight is coming down and HRV values up. Very happy with that, just wanted to know what Lyle has to say about HRV....
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeriot View Post
Maybe we could all contribute what we know about this topic? All I know is that HeartMath has a little monitor for this. Still not 100% sure what it actually does.
Not familiar with the HeartMath monitor, will try to go over and read their articles. I use an ithlete which plugs into a smartphone.