BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefiver View Post
I would love for someone to label test these. I am skeptical of any decent tasting bar that claims to have as much milk-based protein as they do and no soy. I'll have them on occasion, but I am just not sure.

The economics of milk have only increased the pressure on shake and bar providers to fudge numbers and cut corners, and a few have been busted (eg less servings than listed, less protein per serving than listed, etc).
Back of the napkin comparison... I can buy 1050g of whey in a jug of isopure for 45 bucks. That's 4 cents per gram. A quest bar has 80 cents worth (20g) and they sell them for over 2 bucks. I don't see why they would be shorting the ingredients with those economics.
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist View Post
Back of the napkin comparison... I can buy 1050g of whey in a jug of isopure for 45 bucks. That's 4 cents per gram. A quest bar has 80 cents worth (20g) and they sell them for over 2 bucks. I don't see why they would be shorting the ingredients with those economics.
Not to mention that they probably get mad cheaper bulk rates.

Also, it looks like quest is coming out with a chocolate chip cookie dough bar soon. damn.
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atresia View Post
Also, it looks like quest is coming out with a chocolate chip cookie dough bar soon. damn.
*drool*
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM

I actually had one that was so nasty I tossed it after one horrible bite. I think it was lemon cream pie or cinnamon roll. Can't remember, and I was stealing from my wife's stash so it was karma for sure.

But man, so horrid. Haven't had them in a while but will just stick with the chocolate brownie ones.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM

I ordered these bars awhile back and also agree that they taste great so far, especially microwaved as people have said. I try to limit myself cause two bucks are bar is expensive for me. As for the nutritional information, we have to trust it as with any product. There always is the chance that the numbers are off. I remember watching a Today show segment testing various diet foods. There were products that were over in calories of course. The segment said that the FDA allows them to be off by a certain percentage. It was like 15% percent or something, but don't quote me on that. If i weren't surfing and posting from my phone right now i'd try to find the segment. Until they get tested by someone though, i'm just gonna assume label is accurate though.
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM

I have tried them all. Now I just get the chocolate brownie,chocolate peanut butter and coconut by the case. Surprisingly the local Vitaminshoppe is cheaper than any online resource I have found.
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist View Post
Really? You can't see why? What if I give you 40 cents worth, tell you it is 80 cents worth, what happens to my margin then? If I have to, I'll just replace those missing 10g with dextrose or saw dust or whatever so the bar weighs in correctly.

We're talking about a supplement company after all. It is not unheard of to screw the consumer and lie about what's in the product.

Cripe, a company with a far more reputable name and history (at least back then), did it when whey prices, for the consumer, were about 1/2 of what they are now.

I hope I am wrong, but when it comes to these sort of things I lean towards the mindset of "If it seems too good to be true (price, taste, effectiveness claims), it probably is." Many of the good tasting bars employ at least some soy and/or hydrolyzed collagen (along with a boat load of sugar or sugar alchohols) for both price and flavor. In the past, for example, the ones that claimed to only use a substantial amount (15g+) of whey or other non-hydrolyzed milk proteins were pretty awful. All of a sudden a bar comes out that tastes almost as good as any bars of supposed lesser quality but has a nicer profile...?

People are fudging numbers on protein powder, why wouldn't a company do it with a bar? I really would like to see them tested.

Last edited by Onefiver : 01-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Err on the side of thinking everyone's lying to you, it makes no difference to me at all. Making a decent profit for years through honesty is generally a preferable business model to cheating your customers, risking civil lawsuits, risking FDA action, risking criminal fraud charges. Exceptions to the rule are exceptions.
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Who's up for having them tested?

It could be done in about a month @ less than $600.
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM

Darn it guys! After reading this thread I've talked myself into ordering some! There goes more $