BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-03-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Easing into a ketogenic diet

Dear All,

A rather long first post, I apologize if this is obvious to all but me. I refer to "The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald"

P41

The brainís glucose requirements

In a non-ketotic state, the brain utilizes roughly 100 grams of glucose per day (5,25). This means that any diet which contains less than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day will induce ketosis, the depth of which will depend on how many carbohydrates are consumed (i.e. less carbohydrates will mean deeper ketosis). During the initial stages of ketosis, any carbohydrate intake below 100 grams will induce ketosis (28). As the brain adapts to using ketones for fuel and the bodyís glucose requirements decrease, less carbohydrate must be consumed if ketosis is to be maintained.

P43

Table 1: Sources of glucose during the initial stages of starvation

Source Glucose produced (grams) Amount of carbohydrate required by brain ~100
Breakdown of 180 grams of TG 18
Breakdown of 75 grams of protein 75
Total carbohydrate produced per day 93 in the liver

P52

Protein

Protein has both ketogenic effects (46%) and anti-ketogenic effects (58%). This reflects the fact that 58% of dietary protein will appear in the bloodstream as glucose (3), raising insulin and inhibiting ketogenesis. Note that the insulin response from consuming dietary protein is much smaller than that from consuming dietary carbohydrates.

[Pages 43 and 52 appear to contradict each other, since an extra 75gm of protein will produce 0.58*75=43.5g of glucose. Should this be:
75/0.58=129.31gm?

Instead of the extra dietary protein, and given that diets below 100gm carbohydrate are ketogenic, could we not just reduce the dietary carbohydrate over time as follows:

e.g. for 62Kg (135.4lb) bodyweight, 2000kCals TDEE:

Week Carb Prot Fat kCals Note
---- ---- ---- --- ----- ----
0 100 95 135 ~2000 Not ketogenic, brain uses all the glucose
1 75 95 146 ~2000 Ketogenic1
2 57 95 155 ~2000 Ketogenic2
3 38 95 163 ~2000 Ketogenic3
4 20 95 171 ~2000 Ketogenic for all following weeks

Would this not help to regulate kidney load, and help to offset the (inevitable) consumption of SOME carbohydrate in readily available foods?

Also (forgive the ignorance), but does 100gm carbohydrate yield 100gm glucose in all cases?

Thanks to Lyle for a great book, and great tips on reading about Dan Duchaine, Mike Zampano et al.

Best Regards,,
John (Manila)