BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-17-2011, 06:15 AM

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the response.

Well after a week of increased caloric intake (2,200 cals / based on ~16cal/lb), haven't noticed any increase and maybe even a slight decrease in weight. I have noticed that my muscles are becoming more defined, etc. and I keep increasing weight week-on-week so not 100% sure I'm on the right track or whether this is simply 'beginner gains'.

A little about me:

Ectomorph
Currently 126.5 lb / 57.5 kgs.
167cms in Height
28 Years of Age
Work in an Office (sit most of the day though factors contributing to NEAT may include walk to/from train station, stairs in my home, etc.)
12% BF (Measured with Callipers)
3 x Full Body Weight Sessions per Week (3X6-8 - Chest, Legs, Biceps, Triceps, Lats, Abs)
2 x Cardio Sessions per Week (45min Circuit)
Started training consistently and more structured about 8/9 weeks ago. Prior to that on/off sporadically with no real goal in mind.

I'm liking the way my body is developing at present but I do want to get my weight back up to at least 60kgs (heaviest I've ever been was ~65kgs) and also gain more muscle.

So, I've adjusted my diet based on a total caloric intake of 2375. I know it's not good to use 'target' weight but I've based this on a realistic initial target of 60kgs / 132lb @ ~18 cals/lb.

Calories broken up into the following as per the article:

Protein: 184.7g / 1.4g/lb / 31%
Fat: 52.8g / 0.4g/lb / 20%
Carbs: 290.3g / 2.2g/lb / 48.9%

I like to train at night after work so most of my nutrients are timed later in the day. For example protein source at each meal, low GI carbs for lunch, high GI carbs for dinner (eaten straight after training). I eat 4 x meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch, Pre-Workout, Dinner).

Foods generally consist of lean meats, full cream milks, cottage cheese, yoghurt, almonds, vegetables, brown rice and pasta.

In regards to the post above, I don't really have a post workout meal as I'm normally eating dinner about 30mins after training. I do however have a pre-workout meal as mentioned above of WPI (30g Protein) + Museli Bar (25g Carbs) to get me through training.

Based on the above, am I on the right track to get to my goals? And now knowing more about my individual situation, should I still be reducing caloric intake on 'non-training' days?

Until I found this site, I honestly probably wasn't eating more than around 1,200 - 1,500 cals per day whilst training due mainly to the fact I didn't know any better. So thanks again for the insightful articles.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers.

Last edited by schmick : 07-17-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:34 AM

If you're an ectomorph looking to gain weight, 18-20 cals/lb is more like it, 16 cals/lb is more like maintenance. If you struggle putting on weight you're likely quite resistant to overfeeding (metabolism ramps up, NEAT etc), so start with 18-20, and up calories every 2-3 weeks if you're not gaining weight. I'd also ditch the cardio.
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
If you're an ectomorph looking to gain weight, 18-20 cals/lb is more like it, 16 cals/lb is more like maintenance. If you struggle putting on weight you're likely quite resistant to overfeeding (metabolism ramps up, NEAT etc), so start with 18-20, and up calories every 2-3 weeks if you're not gaining weight. I'd also ditch the cardio.
Hey Popup,

Thanks for the reply.

For my understanding, are the terms 'gain weight' and 'gain muscle', one in the same thing? Similarly, are the terms 'reduce body fat' and 'lose weight' one in the same thing?

So I'll start this week with eating 18 cals/lb daily (incl. non training days) which is the 2,375 and see how I go. Based on Lyle's article 'Muscle Gain Mistakes' should I be looking for gains of about 1lb/week (50% muscle/50% fat)? I'll get my gym to take measurements with the callipers in 2 - 3 weeks time to see what impact any weight gain has had on my BF %.

Lastly, in regards to Cardio, do I have to ditch this entirely or can I keep say 1 session in there? The session I'm particularly keen on involves a mix of running, bodyweight exercises (pushups, dips, crunches, etc.), kettle bells, medicine balls, etc. This sessions goes for approx. 30 - 40 mins.

Thanks again for the reply and be interesting to see how I go these next few weeks.

Cheers.

Last edited by schmick : 07-19-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick View Post
Hey Popup,

Thanks for the reply.

For my understanding, are the terms 'gain weight' and 'gain muscle', one in the same thing? Similarly, are the terms 'reduce body fat' and 'lose weight' one in the same thing?

So I'll start this week with eating 18 cals/lb daily (incl. non training days) which is the 2,375 and see how I go. Based on Lyle's article 'Muscle Gain Mistakes' should I be looking for gains of about 1lb/week (50% muscle/50% fat)? I'll get my gym to take measurements with the callipers in 2 - 3 weeks time to see what impact any weight gain has had on my BF %.

Lastly, in regards to Cardio, do I have to ditch this entirely or can I keep say 1 session in there? The session I'm particularly keen on involves a mix of running, bodyweight exercises (pushups, dips, crunches, etc.), kettle bells, medicine balls, etc. This sessions goes for approx. 30 - 40 mins.

Thanks again for the reply and be interesting to see how I go these next few weeks.

Cheers.
On this forum I equate them to being the same, as very few people want to gain fat or lose muscle (except in rare cases). Callipers and cardio while bulking for an ectomorph... not to make assumptions, but I have a sneaking suspicion you're very concerned about gaining any fat, and this will hamper your progress, as some fat gain while bulking is inevitable. If you're lifting and eating sensibly, and not gaining weight excessively quickly, there's no need for calipers. Also, as an ectomorph, cardio will likely just hamper gains, unless it really helps to stimulate your appetite and eat a disproportionate amount to how many calories you burn during the session, I'd avoid it as a general rule though in your case.
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
On this forum I equate them to being the same, as very few people want to gain fat or lose muscle (except in rare cases). Callipers and cardio while bulking for an ectomorph... not to make assumptions, but I have a sneaking suspicion you're very concerned about gaining any fat, and this will hamper your progress, as some fat gain while bulking is inevitable. If you're lifting and eating sensibly, and not gaining weight excessively quickly, there's no need for calipers. Also, as an ectomorph, cardio will likely just hamper gains, unless it really helps to stimulate your appetite and eat a disproportionate amount to how many calories you burn during the session, I'd avoid it as a general rule though in your case.
Popup,

In regards to the callipers thing, I was more curios as to what my current BF% was more than anything. Reading the articles, understand now that gaining fat is inevitable when trying to gain weight/muscle. I used to eat everything 'low-fat', not knowing what I do now, so last few weeks it's been 'full-fat' everything! LOL...

In regards to the cardio, my cardio fitness is honestly terrible that's why I incorporated it. Plus to help with my Asthma, etc. But happy to take it out for the time being. In regards to appetite, I think I'll get enough appetite from the weight training, so I don't think eating will be a problem.

I do have a question in regards to my routine though. Currently looks something like this:

Chest:
- DB Bench Press, 3x6-8
- Machine Fly, 3x6-8 (Can't get the technique right for DB Fly!)

Lats/Back:
- Chinups, 3x6
- Swiss Ball Cable Rows, 3x6-8

Legs:
- Seated Leg Press, 3x6-8
- DB Lunge with Stepup, 2x10

Triceps:
- Rope Pulldowns, 3x6-8

Biceps:
- DB Curl, 2x21s

Abs:
- Russian Crunches, 2x15
- Crunches, 2x30
- DB Swiss Ball Twists, 2x10

Now my gym only has access to a full set of DB's, we have no BB's and free plates except for pre setup BB's with range of 10kg to maximum 20kgs only.

Should I change gyms to somewhere that I'd have access to better equipment to do say Deadlifts, Squats, etc.? Understand most of the above are isolation exercises.

Perhaps doing Squats, Deadlifts, etc. will help me gain muscle faster as they are more 'whole body' exercises?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by schmick : 07-19-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick View Post
Popup,

In regards to the callipers thing, I was more curios as to what my current BF% was more than anything. Reading the articles, understand now that gaining fat is inevitable when trying to gain weight/muscle. I used to eat everything 'low-fat', not knowing what I do now, so last few weeks it's been 'full-fat' everything! LOL...

In regards to the cardio, my cardio fitness is honestly terrible that's why I incorporated it. Plus to help with my Asthma, etc. But happy to take it out for the time being. In regards to appetite, I think I'll get enough appetite from the weight training, so I don't think eating will be a problem.

I do have a question in regards to my routine though. Currently looks something like this:

Chest:
- DB Bench Press, 3x6-8
- Machine Fly, 3x6-8 (Can't get the technique right for DB Fly!)

Lats/Back:
- Chinups, 3x6
- Swiss Ball Cable Rows, 3x6-8

Legs:
- Seated Leg Press, 3x6-8
- DB Lunge with Stepup, 2x10

Triceps:
- Rope Pulldowns, 3x6-8

Biceps:
- DB Curl, 2x21s

Abs:
- Russian Crunches, 2x15
- Crunches, 2x30
- DB Swiss Ball Twists, 2x10

Now my gym only has access to a full set of DB's, we have no BB's and free plates except for pre setup BB's with range of 10kg to maximum 20kgs only.

Should I change gyms to somewhere that I'd have access to better equipment to do say Deadlifts, Squats, etc.? Understand most of the above are isolation exercises.

Perhaps doing Squats, Deadlifts, etc. will help me gain muscle faster as they are more 'whole body' exercises?

What are your thoughts?
change gyms so that you have access to proper equipment. also swiss ball cable rows sounds dangerous.

check out the beginning weight training series...

part 1:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ng-part-1.html

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 07-19-2011 at 06:58 AM.