BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-27-2014, 08:13 AM

Default 5 hours refeed below maintenance?

I might be missing something, but why is the 5 hours refeed possibly below maintenance kcals? I always thought a refeed had to be above maintenance kcals. As mentioned, it aren't that many carbs actually.

As a cat 1 I could choose to refeed about twice per week for 5 hours. With this I can make a plan to never eat above maintenance during a diet. If that's still right, would it be smart to alternate the 5 hours refeed with a refeed approach that gives you more carbs and more kcals to eat above maintenance at some points in the diet?

I Hope someone can clarify this.

Thanks!
Unread 07-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Administrator

What are you asking, your question is utterly unclear.
Unread 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Hm, English isn't my first language. I'll do my best.

The book talks about 5 hours refeeds. A cat 1 dieter can choose a refeed of 5 hours two times per week. The total carb intake of the 5 hours refeed isn't that much (it sure is probably enough within that timeframe). If a dieter chooses the 5 hours refeed, it's possible not to eat above maintenance. I always thought a refeed had to be above maintenance. So the question basicly is: does a refeed need to be above maintenance, and if so, what am I missing?

Again: I think this is ONLY with the 5 hours refeed.
Unread 03-07-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taste Of Fire View Post
Hm, English isn't my first language. I'll do my best.

The book talks about 5 hours refeeds. A cat 1 dieter can choose a refeed of 5 hours two times per week. The total carb intake of the 5 hours refeed isn't that much (it sure is probably enough within that timeframe). If a dieter chooses the 5 hours refeed, it's possible not to eat above maintenance. I always thought a refeed had to be above maintenance. So the question basicly is: does a refeed need to be above maintenance, and if so, what am I missing?

Again: I think this is ONLY with the 5 hours refeed.
What's your maintenance cals? If I choose the lower end of the scale (1.5g/LBM) that is less than my usual daily carbs so below maintaince. But if I choose 3g/LMB it puts me above.

So for me, on a non refeed day I have 2250 calories. My refeed numbers are:
435 carbs (3x145lbs), 160 protein (1g+/lb LBM) and 50g of fat. These are your REFEED numbers. So within the 5 hour window THIS is what you eat. Which should put you above maintenance. So lets say for me, I will eat 2 normal meals in the morning, say 500 calories each, AS IF I was not going to refeed. So
7:30 AM breakfast 500 cals
Go to school
12 pm lunch 500 cals
school/come home and study
then at 5pm, refeed starts. So forget about the previous 2 meals, just like they never happened.
5 pm pre workout meal (carb heavy)
train
and then whatever time I'm back post workout meal (also carb heavy)
8-9pm final meal (carb heavy)
Refeed finished. Then don't eat until the next day, which will just be a normal day.
I think this is how you are supposed to do it, could someone correct me if not, thanks.

Last edited by kingbrah321 : 03-07-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Unread 03-08-2015, 02:37 AM

I think the answer is yes, you can 5 hour refeed below maintenance.

I'm doing RFL (cat 2). Saturday (Feb 28), I did my first re-feed. I weighed in at 178.2. I ate 3300 calories (maintenance) because I thought I had to... I ate starchy carbs like a freak. Around 500g worth. Next day, I spiked 4 lbs. Not a big deal, but a week later, I weigh 178.4. I'm trying not to be neurotic about it, but I wanted to cross my I's and dot my T's...

So I re-read GTFD and I realized that I followed the protocol for a full day refeed and not the 5 hour refeed. In addition, the booklet said that a dieter should start at 1.5g of carbs per 1lb of LBM and work their way up to see how well they tolerate refeeds. Some people do poorly with re-feeding, according to Lyle. I suspect I'm one of them, as starchy carbs send my blood sugar way up and it takes everything I've got not to turn into the cookie monster.

Anyway... protocol is 50g of fat or less and 1.5g-3g of carbs per LBM. So if I eat...

50g fat
200g protein
1.5g of carbs per lbs of LBM

There's no way I could get above maintenance or even close to it at 1.5g. Even at 3g of carbs per lbs of LBM, I still wouldn't hit maintenance. So I suspect the answer is yes, you can 5 hour refeed below maintenance.

Last edited by ClarKent : 03-08-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Unread 03-08-2015, 08:28 AM

Whole point of a refeed is to go above maintenance. 10% - 20%.