BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Default Zinck & effect on muscle growth

Does zinc has any effect on muscle growth? If yes which zinc should I choose & how much?
Unread 12-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Zinc deficiency hurts a lot of things. And is a common deficiency, especially if you don't eat red meat.

But why would you ask specifically about this one mineral regarding muscle growth.
Unread 12-12-2016, 04:25 AM

You probably heard that zinc can raise testosterone, but as Lyle said, it will have meaningful impact only if you're defficient. From memory, there's no big difference in absorption between different forms, so go with cheapest. I take 25mg on days without red meat. That's a bit higher dosage, but helps with depression.

Last edited by zLeeKo : 12-12-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Unread 12-13-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Zinc deficiency hurts a lot of things. And is a common deficiency, especially if you don't eat red meat.

But why would you ask specifically about this one mineral regarding muscle growth.

I don't eat red meat often so I think It would be a great option that I take extra zinc... And yes I heard that zinc can raise testeron levels...
Unread 12-13-2016, 12:09 PM

This is a good safe bet here. A low dose balanced with copper.

https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formul...s=zinc+balance
Unread 12-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPT View Post
I don't eat red meat often so I think It would be a great option that I take extra zinc... And yes I heard that zinc can raise testeron levels...
25 mg of any form at night
Unread 01-17-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
25 mg of any form at night
According to Hemilš's recent research papers, zinc should come in lozange form to absorb properly, and different forms had differing absorbing values.

Acetate being the better form, and sulphate for example absorbing poorly. The product earlier linked in this thread had the zinc in methionine form, so I wouldnt want to use it, at least before seeing some research for it.

The product also had both Calcium and Magnesium in it, which compete in absorption and could be taken at morning / evening (separated) instead.
Unread 01-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Show me percentage differences in absorption rate. When prsent they are typically very very small and not worth worrying about
Unread 01-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Show me percentage differences in absorption rate. When prsent they are typically very very small and not worth worrying about
I threw the Hemilš's name in there, but after reviewing it myself, it did not go into zinc usage and absorption on lower dosages. The topic was also on treating the common cold.

So yeah, my bad and unrelating to the current topic.

Just to bring up a semi relating and quite interesting note, zinc acetate on higher (around 80 mg a day for 2 weeks) works better through absorption values compared to citrate, for example, when treating the common cold. The differences were based on the absorption from the mouth, which seems to play a major role in treating the common cold. The local effect is not probably relevant when talking about slight testosterone boost through zinc supplementation, and most salts dissolve in the stomach's low pH and get absorbed in free zinc ions from there on.