BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Regular Olive Oil still doesn't get hot enough for me.

But that's probably because I like my steak browned on the outside but still mooing on the inside.
Unread 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
Regular Olive Oil still doesn't get hot enough for me.

But that's probably because I like my steak browned on the outside but still mooing on the inside.
Not sure what kind of inferno you need for your steak, but here is a list of smoke points for anyone interested.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/a...f-Various-Fats
Unread 08-25-2009, 01:56 PM

thanks for the input. virgin olive oil or coconut oil ill use.
Unread 08-25-2009, 02:29 PM

I really like coconut oil, it doesn't taste or smell of coconut at all. Works beautifully in my cast iron skillet.
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to AJS Send a message via Yahoo to AJS Send a message via Skype™ to AJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
cykomiko will be the one to give a good answer to this but I believe the heat point on olive oil is pretty high. I still think my general tendency would be to cook with a more stable fat (sat fat) and just throw the olive oil on top.
canola has an even higher smoke point. Also, the more you heat an oil in the more you're going to kill flavor.

So as a general rule (to be broken whenever you feel like it): Cook with small amounts of high smoke point canola (spectrum makes a good one) and then add olive, or sesame, or whatever yummy oil the dish calls for after cooking.
Unread 08-25-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS View Post
canola has an even higher smoke point. Also, the more you heat an oil in the more you're going to kill flavor.

So as a general rule (to be broken whenever you feel like it): Cook with small amounts of high smoke point canola (spectrum makes a good one) and then add olive, or sesame, or whatever yummy oil the dish calls for after cooking.
Actually, believe it or not, the proper grade of olive oil will actually have a higher smoke point than canola. Either way, am I the only one that thinks canola smells fishy? If I am not using olive, I really like peanut or grapeseed. I agree with adding some extra virgin olive oil or sesame oil after cooking for flavor.
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:34 AM

In a 1g capsule of fish oil, there are 300 mg of epa and dha. What's in the other 700mg? other fatty acids or just water and stuff?
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Administrator

What's the label say? And please do'nt hijack threads like this, your question has nothing to do with this article.
Unread 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM

No no I'm not hijacking.. I read the Q&A "Fish Oil Intake for Inflammation" and didn't know where else to ask.
There wasn't much info on the bottle. All it said was, per 5 mL (tsp), about 4.5g of fish oils of which 1.5g different w-3 fatty acids. I didn't know what the other 3g were. After checking the website, there are also saturated and monounsaturated fats.